D&D 5E RAW: Can druids wear studded leather?

Laurefindel

Legend
Sometimes I start to wonder if the intent of this "no metal" limitation was lost over the many editions of D&D. I think in 2nd edition they just assumed it was a creative way of restricting them from using specific types of armor like full plate that were by default made of metal, but nowadays D&D has introduced so many special materials you could feasibly create a set of full plate armor that is made of chitin and provide similar protection.

I for one see the druid's "no metal armor" restriction as a vestige of OD&D and AD&D. It was always presented as a taboo of a specific Celtic-like human religion (when other races apart from half elves couldn't play a Druid), alongside the promotion of true neutrality and a rigid hierarchy of druids and archdruids (IIRC, a Druid could not progress past 12th level - or get to 12th level? - without taking somebody else's place).

druids were made as a sub-class of cleric, and in 2e AD&D an example of a priest of a specific mythos. Since cleric could wear heavy (metal) armor, the "no metal armor" taboo came to balance this "sub-cleric" class alongside other abilities.

with the Druid now decoupled from humans of a pseudo-Celtic religion (or any religion for that matter), the "no metal armor" taboo becomes harder to justify.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Sometimes I start to wonder if the intent of this "no metal" limitation was lost over the many editions of D&D. I think in 2nd edition they just assumed it was a creative way of restricting them from using specific types of armor like full plate that were by default made of metal, but nowadays D&D has introduced so many special materials you could feasibly create a set of full plate armor that is made of chitin and provide similar protection.

Yes, there are magical armours that aren't made of metal. There is also magic items that just raise your AC.

I think hand-waving away the restriction by just having the Druid make some non-metal armour is a disservice. These sorts of restrictions are important for characteristics to have identity.

The more you go towards a classless game the more the game turns into mush. Yes, you could have everyone be able to do anything by 're-theming' options, but, you're losing what makes the game special in the process.

5ekyu

Hero
Yes, there are magical armours that aren't made of metal. There is also magic items that just raise your AC.

I think hand-waving away the restriction by just having the Druid make some non-metal armour is a disservice. These sorts of restrictions are important for characteristics to have identity.

The more you go towards a classless game the more the game turns into mush. Yes, you could have everyone be able to do anything by 're-theming' options, but, you're losing what makes the game special in the process.
While I am for keeping the restriction, having the world be less exotic to enforce a restriction is going imo in the wrong direction.

The druid in my game wearing very distinctive shell breastplate has not at all cost flavor snd drama snd fistinctivenesd. Quite the opposite in fact. Its generated a lot of drama and scenes - even within party. Had he been just in hide, a lot of that would have been lost.

Exotic armors and re-skinning only changes the mechanical stats a bit. Those stats fo not charscter identity make.

jasper

Rotten DM
As An Adventure League DM I would allow it. Modules ddal04-09 and ddal08-11 give out Glamoured Studded Leather +1 which is AC 13. Sage Advice in AL is not official but it is a nice reference. I don’t totally agree with all Sage Advice but most of the time if some one brings it up on their phone, I will allow it just to move the game on. But as always with AL “table variations”.
Studded Leather… In almost all pictures and movies with studded leather I have seen, they are leather with metal studs. Like they stole all the studs for most 80s heavy metal groups. So many studs I could kick the studded leather wearing druid down the hill. While rolling down the hill, he would clean up all the oak leaves and aerate the hill.
RAW hmmm. I would say no for off the rack studded leather. See paragraph about. Exotic types that is why you talk nice to your DM and go on a quest. So maybe on exotic types.
Some sources.
David Edge, John Miles Paddock Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight
Boutell, Charles Arms and Armour in Antiquity and the Middle Ages
David Nicolle
Arms and Armour of the Crusading Era 1050-1350 Western Europe , The Crusades Essential Histories, Medieval Warfare Source Book, History of Medieval Life*, The Hamlyn History of Medieval Life*,
Stone’s Glossary of Arms and armor (Nice pictures but it is out dated if you really into armour).
Laughing about
Stalker0.. we are going old school 3e rules lawyering…. “Kids these days! back in AD&D…”

Oofta

Legend
I for one see the druid's "no metal armor" restriction as a vestige of OD&D and AD&D. It was always presented as a taboo of a specific Celtic-like human religion (when other races apart from half elves couldn't play a Druid), alongside the promotion of true neutrality and a rigid hierarchy of druids and archdruids (IIRC, a Druid could not progress past 12th level - or get to 12th level? - without taking somebody else's place).

druids were made as a sub-class of cleric, and in 2e AD&D an example of a priest of a specific mythos. Since cleric could wear heavy (metal) armor, the "no metal armor" taboo came to balance this "sub-cleric" class alongside other abilities.

with the Druid now decoupled from humans of a pseudo-Celtic religion (or any religion for that matter), the "no metal armor" taboo becomes harder to justify.

So what if it is "a vestige of OD&D and AD&D"*? Much of the rest of the game is as well has things we've carried over. Everything from vancian spell casting to HP to AC is "a vestige" of earlier editions.

As with others, I like the flavor and if it's super important for a player with a druid character that they have better armor, in a home campaign we can discuss options. But for the OP and his situation? The rule still applies.

*And why stop there? it's been in every edition we've had druids.

Coroc

Hero
1st there is no studded leather (except in your local bdsm studio or some hair metal band)
2nd if there were studded leather aka brigandine aka metal armor the druid will not wear it. Notice: Not he cannot wear it nor he shall not wear it or he should not wear it, it is in his class description that he will not wear it, no law or prohibition or pressure from outside involved, he free willingly will not wear it.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
"Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields (druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal)"

"Studded Leather. Made from tough but flexible leather, studded leather is reinforced with close-set rivets or spikes."

Every armor description says what the armor is "made from/of" or "consists of". If the armor is "made of" metal, it says so. I don't expect this to sway anyone who reads the druid's armor restriction as "made with any metal at all", however.

Laurefindel

Legend
So what if it is "a vestige of OD&D and AD&D"*? Much of the rest of the game is as well has things we've carried over. Everything from vancian spell casting to HP to AC is "a vestige" of earlier editions.

As with others, I like the flavor and if it's super important for a player with a druid character that they have better armor, in a home campaign we can discuss options. But for the OP and his situation? The rule still applies.

*And why stop there? it's been in every edition we've had druids.

Yes, you’ve got a good point. D&D 5e is, well, the fifth edition of D&D (or more depending what you’re willing to count as an edition), so obviously each iteration builds on the previous one.

But there are things that were dropped along the way, such as restricted classes for other races than human, level maximums, alignment prescriptions or prohibition for classes, hit dice limits around level 10, just to name a few. I’m not gonna argue about what should have stayed or what should have been dropped, not to mention what you like and what I don’t, but D&D has dropped most cultural elements of classes and folded them in races instead. Taboos are cultural and it is a bit harder to justify why an elven Druid shares the same taboo as every single human or humanoid culture. Taboos could have been cool as a list of choice à la warlock invocations, or described in an ethic code like the paladin’s oaths but as it stands, this one appears out of place to me.

Oofta

Legend
Yes, you’ve got a good point. D&D 5e is, well, the fifth edition of D&D (or more depending what you’re willing to count as an edition), so obviously each iteration builds on the previous one.

But there are things that were dropped along the way, such as restricted classes for other races than human, level maximums, alignment prescriptions or prohibition for classes, hit dice limits around level 10, just to name a few. I’m not gonna argue about what should have stayed or what should have been dropped, not to mention what you like and what I don’t, but D&D has dropped most cultural elements of classes and folded them in races instead. Taboos are cultural and it is a bit harder to justify why an elven Druid shares the same taboo as every single human or humanoid culture. Taboos could have been cool as a list of choice à la warlock invocations, or described in an ethic code like the paladin’s oaths but as it stands, this one appears out of place to me.

Which is perfectly legit in a home campaign if the group is okay with it.

But speaking of paladins, while they dropped the alignment issue the default is still a fairly strict oath. It may not be as simple, obvious and as enforced (or enforceable) as druid armor restrictions but it is there.

Which is a whole other topic ... what pieces have been kept that should have been discarded. What pieces have been discarded that should have been kept. For example, I don't have a big heartache with druids because if my druid runs into combat he'll probably be wild-shaped or summoning a swarm of rabid squirrels. But vancian spell casting? Why have we kept that confusing mess? I guess it's simple and now we can cast at higher levels, but I'd love an alternative along the lines of spell points or a mana pool.

Funniest way I ever handled a Druid wearing metal armor?
It became supernaturally heavy. Like unworthy Mjolnir.
Image the Druid struggling to get up. Even his companions can’t drag him across the ground. He’s just too heavy!

Remove ads