D&D 5E Changing the Shield spell

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

One alternative idea that had crossed my mind, though I haven't pursued thinking about it very hard, was to reduce the AC bonus (e.g. to +2 or +3) but add a commensurate bonus to saving throws.

Along these lines I like the idea of the AC bonus equal to proficiency bonus. So, at lower levels it is +2 or so, but closer to the original +5 at the higher levels.

clearstream

(He, Him)
From another thread:

So, let me rewrite Shield:

1st level abjuration
Casting time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by a spell that does damage with a Force effect.
Range: Self
Components: V,S
Duration: 1 round

An invisible barrier of force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack and you take no damage from force effects from a cantrip or spell of 1st level, including the triggering attack.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you take no damage from force effects from cantrips or spells of the spell slot used or lower. The spell lasts one round per level of spell slot used to a maximum of 9 rounds when cast using a 9th level spell slot.

What do you think? How would this affect your game?
I like the generalising to all force damage type (probably want to reference "type" rather than effect, for consistency with other RAW).

I dislike extending the duration, as Shield is very strong in play, in its current one-round form. I also dislike the up-cast preventing force spell damage altogether: that's way too extra. Taken together, the duration and force damage prevention would foreseeably be very strong. Especially on any character with already high defences such as Eldritch Knight or Bladesinger.

Warforged DK

Explorer
I dislike how so many of my players who have the Shield spell use it to completely negate the hit, even if it's a fairly weak enemy. Here's how I ended up modifying Shield and my players have enjoyed it so far.

Instead of granting a +5 to AC, it causes the attacker to roll another D20, and use the lower, effectively making it an attack at Disadvantage. If the second roll still hits, player takes half damage. Now, Shield is effective against a Critical hit, which normal Shield does not. So far, I've only confirmed the hit 2 or 3 times and they've stopped many more Crits. They like it, I like it, YMMV

Gadget

Adventurer
As others have pointed out, the Shield being a specific foil for MM is more of a tradition than anything. Specific to 5e, the reason for calling out MM specifically is that MM does not roll to hit, so the +5 AC would not be effective. That is the main reason for the MM negation in 5e, IMHO. Most other force damage effects that I can think of off hand, target AC (Eldritch Blast, Mordenkainen's Sword, etc) and are therefore hindered by the Shield spell anyway. Perhaps there are some that are area of effect and/or require a saving throw, and are therefore not affected by shield, but spell has enough utility and use as stands and really doesn't need any enhancements.

There is one effect that is force damage, has no save, and may not require a to-hit roll against the target with Shield: the blast effect from an Arcane Archer's arrow.

Quartz

Hero
As others have pointed out, the Shield being a specific foil for MM is more of a tradition than anything.

If memory serves, in 1E days there were originally only two force effect attack spells, Magic Missile and Mordenkainen's Sword, and there was no Force 'element', so specifically calling out Magic Missile made sense at the time. With so many more force effect spells nowadays, changing Shield makes sense.

Gadget

Adventurer
If memory serves, in 1E days there were originally only two force effect attack spells, Magic Missile and Mordenkainen's Sword, and there was no Force 'element', so specifically calling out Magic Missile made sense at the time. With so many more force effect spells nowadays, changing Shield makes sense.

You ignored the rest of my post. The main reason in 5e that shield calls out MM is that MM does not require an attack roll and the +5 AC granted would not be helpful. Other attacks that do target AC (force effects among them), are hindered by shield. I'm not really seeing the issue.

A broach of shielding gives immunity to Magic Missiles and resistance to force. I think it’s been mentioned all ready but why not just run it like that? The resistance is a nice boost on top of the Ac.

In fact, it wouldn’t be that bad if it lasted longer, giving you reistence to Force and immunity to MM for 1 rnd/spell level slot but only gave you the +5 Ac for the triggering attack or triggering round but not the full duration.

Remove ads