The help action is not broken, but Working together is

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
"Indeed. But if you do the same thing you did before, the same way you just did it, you should expect the same result you just got."

Really?
*sigh* Here we go.
So if i step up to the free throw line and take a shot and miss and pick up the ball and try again trying the same way i will miss again?
You've just described a ranged attack roll. That's not what we're talking about here.
Better yet, if i made the first shot and do the same thong again it will keep going in?
Another attack roll, now with movement. I have no problem with how combat works.
Sorry... Thats not how doing stuff works.
You're forgiven. Also, this is how combat works, and combat is a different animal.
To presume the same result will occur on retry after retry is to presume the same performance level which is not how it works for most things.
Except when it does. Doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results is a popular definition for insanity.
Even non-physical things.
Especially non-physical things. (Just ask my wife.)

Anyhoo. I tried my best to explain how I do things at my table, and I must have failed because I keep getting asked for clarification. I've tried explaining from different angles, using examples, cracking jokes, but I can't seem to roll higher than a 2. Now I'm out of ideas, and I've wasted enough of everyone's time with my multiple failures. I'm going to embrace my fate and move on. :)
[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION]: sorry I let this get so far off-topic. This post was about the Working Together rules, not about repeating failed skill checks ad infinitum. That was my bad.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Ehhh...probably not, because they haven't done anything to change the result. But it rarely comes up, because when they ask to try again I immediately ask how they are doing it differently. It usually goes down like this.

Me: "You stand before a stout oak door, clearly locked with an iron padlock. It looks brand new."
Bixby: "I get out my tools and try to pick the lock."
Me: "Okay, make a Dex check."
Bixby: "Rats, I rolled a three. I got a ten on the check."
Me: "Sorry, that isn't enough. You try for a few minutes, but you can't budge the lock."
Bixby: "Can I try again? That roll was garbage."
Me: "Maybe, what are you going to do differently this time?"

How about “I try to move the picks to actually force the tumblers into the correct position this time”?

5ekyu

Hero
*sigh* Here we go.
You've just described a ranged attack roll. That's not what we're talking about here.
Another attack roll, now with movement. I have no problem with how combat works.
You're forgiven. Also, this is how combat works, and combat is a different animal.
Except when it does. Doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results is a popular definition for insanity.
Especially non-physical things. (Just ask my wife.)

Anyhoo. I tried my best to explain how I do things at my table, and I must have failed because I keep getting asked for clarification. I've tried explaining from different angles, using examples, cracking jokes, but I can't seem to roll higher than a 2. Now I'm out of ideas, and I've wasted enough of everyone's time with my multiple failures. I'm going to embrace my fate and move on. :)
Last time i checked a basketball was not a weapon and the athletics skill handled non-weapon sports.

But hey, if you resolve basketball as combat i would hate to see how you resolve NASCAR.

Cue Ben Hur music.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
But they didn’t do as well as they know they could have done, and you are preventing them from attempting to do it better, which is unsatisfying.
We have a disagreement about what a die roll represents, and you keep refusing to even recognize that disagreement.

I move the pick slightly differently this time, in an attempt to correct the mistakes in my movements that I made previously resulting in the tumblers not getting forced into position.
if it’s that simple, it isn’t a roll, and in my games it won’t ever be something you’re going to be worried about. If the lock is actually hard, at all, then no. If there is a challenge, you get one roll, unless someone is helping you somehow, or it’s complex enough to warrant a skill challenge. The one roll represents your efforts in picking the lock, not a single attempt. If you’re chopping a tree down, and I need to know how long it takes you, we aren’t doing several roles. We do one, and use that to determine the needed answer.

This seems like an arbitrary distinction to me. What criteria do you use to determine if an action is “like an attack roll”?[/quite] it isn’t arbitrary at all. You’re throwing an object at a target, in a pass/fail binary. You can’t miss more or less, just miss or hit. That’s an attack roll.

Maybe it would help if you gave me an example of an action where there is no time pressure and 1 roll covers it.
I’ve done so before

I agree 100%. It sounds an awful lot like what you and I actually do in practice is the same, but you have some kind of bugbear with the way I describe it.

No, it’s a pretty substantive difference.

Charlaquin

We have a disagreement about what a die roll represents, and you keep refusing to even recognize that disagreement.
No, I recognize the disagreement, it’s a big part of our larger disagreement. The thing is though, if you roll a 2, you objectively could have done better. There are 18 numbers you could have rolled and done better. So any interpretation of what a die roll represents that doesn’t acknowledge the fact that, no, a 2 is not the best you could have done, is not one I can agree with.

if it’s that simple, it isn’t a roll, and in my games it won’t ever be something you’re going to be worried about. If the lock is actually hard, at all, then no. If there is a challenge, you get one roll, unless someone is helping you somehow, or it’s complex enough to warrant a skill challenge. The one roll represents your efforts in picking the lock, not a single attempt. If you’re chopping a tree down, and I need to know how long it takes you, we aren’t doing several roles. We do one, and use that to determine the needed answer.
You’re establishing the cost or consequence for failure (in the tree example, the consequence is that it takes the established amount of time if you fail), making that cost or consequence clear to the player, and letting them decide if they want to roll or not. In situations you deem “not a challenge,” or as I would put it, action’s with no cost or consequence for failure, you simply narrate the results of the action without rolling any dice. This is literally exactly what I do, you just seem to dislike the way I frame it.

it isn’t arbitrary at all. You’re throwing an object at a target, in a pass/fail binary. You can’t miss more or less, just miss or hit. That’s an attack roll.
And when picking a lock, you’re moving a metal tool in a precise manner, in a pass:fail binary, you can’t pick the lock more or less, just pick it or fail. By what criteria is shooting a basket ball like an attack roll that picking a lock is not?

I’ve done so before
And the conversation has evolved since then. In particular, I’ve now learned that you draw a distinction between challenges and actions that are not challenging (and therefore should not be rolled for). Having learned this, I have come to the hypothesis that there is no situation that you would deem “a challenge” that I would say does not have a cost or consequence, and am asking for an example of a task that does not have time pressure, that you would deem challenging enough to warrant a roll, in order to test this hypothesis.

No, it’s a pretty substantive difference.
Is it? I’m not convinced that it is. I think something about the way I am expressing my point is giving you the wrong idea about what play at my table actually looks like, and that what we each actually do is, while not identical, very similar.

doctorbadwolf

No, I recognize the disagreement, it’s a big part of our larger disagreement. The thing is though, if you roll a 2, you objectively could have done better. There are 18 numbers you could have rolled and done better. So any interpretation of what a die roll represents that doesn’t acknowledge the fact that, no, a 2 is not the best you could have done, is not one I can agree with.

You’re establishing the cost or consequence for failure (in the tree example, the consequence is that it takes the established amount of time if you fail), making that cost or consequence clear to the player, and letting them decide if they want to roll or not. In situations you deem “not a challenge,” or as I would put it, action’s with no cost or consequence for failure, you simply narrate the results of the action without rolling any dice. This is literally exactly what I do, you just seem to dislike the way I frame it.

And when picking a lock, you’re moving a metal tool in a precise manner, in a pass:fail binary, you can’t pick the lock more or less, just pick it or fail. By what criteria is shooting a basket ball like an attack roll that picking a lock is not?

And the conversation has evolved since then. In particular, I’ve now learned that you draw a distinction between challenges and actions that are not challenging (and therefore should not be rolled for). Having learned this, I have come to the hypothesis that there is no situation that you would deem “a challenge” that I would say does not have a cost or consequence, and am asking for an example of a task that does not have time pressure, that you would deem challenging enough to warrant a roll, in order to test this hypothesis.

Is it? I’m not convinced that it is. I think something about the way I am expressing my point is giving you the wrong idea about what play at my table actually looks like, and that what we each actually do is, while not identical, very similar.

Gonna break the multi-quote cycle.

I know we do things differently, because in a situation where a lock *needs* to be picked, but there are literal days in which to do it, I’m still going to allow, at most, 1 roll per day. It represents your efforts toward picking the lock that day, and we work out together, partly before and partly after the roll, how long you spent trying if it’s a failure.

If, however, another character finds a way to help you, I’ll allow two rolls per day, and may give one of them advantage. The other player will make the second d20 roll, but it will be your modifier, because you’re the one taking point.

Thing is, this is largely acedemic, bc I wouldn’t include a lock that matters and has no time restraints or chance of breaking the unlocking mechanism upon multiple failures. It’s not a thing in my games. Ever. Such a lock is, at most, narrated without my ever even thinking about anyone’s skills, or a DC. It’s purely, exclusively, flavor. The game doesn’t change at all if I just say it isn’t locked.

Now, if it matters how soon you get it unlocked, then the roll helps me determine how long it takes. But you still aren’t making unlimited rolls. A roll determines how you do on picking the lock. Only when it’s crunch time and seconds matter does a roll strictly take place in 6-12 second increments.

In my game, crafting requires rolls. Failing could mean wasting supplies and time, or if you’re crafting my something new, it might mean progress is made in design, but that iteration is a useless hunk of parts. Still, simple crafting is one roll, whether it’s something that takes a few hours, a few days, or a few weeks. Complex stuff is a number of rolls determined by complexity. You know ahead of time how many rolls are required, and that only those rolls are allowed. Help might allow rerolls, but otherwise an ability check is used to see if you succeed, not how attempt one goes.

Charlaquin

Gonna break the multi-quote cycle.

I know we do things differently, because in a situation where a lock *needs* to be picked, but there are literal days in which to do it, I’m still going to allow, at most, 1 roll per day. It represents your efforts toward picking the lock that day, and we work out together, partly before and partly after the roll, how long you spent trying if it’s a failure.

If, however, another character finds a way to help you, I’ll allow two rolls per day, and may give one of them advantage. The other player will make the second d20 roll, but it will be your modifier, because you’re the one taking point.

Thing is, this is largely acedemic, bc I wouldn’t include a lock that matters and has no time restraints or chance of breaking the unlocking mechanism upon multiple failures. It’s not a thing in my games. Ever. Such a lock is, at most, narrated without my ever even thinking about anyone’s skills, or a DC. It’s purely, exclusively, flavor. The game doesn’t change at all if I just say it isn’t locked.
See, this is why I say what we do is actually more or less the same in actual practice, because such a lock wouldn’t exist in my game either.

Now, if it matters how soon you get it unlocked, then the roll helps me determine how long it takes. But you still aren’t making unlimited rolls. A roll determines how you do on picking the lock. Only when it’s crunch time and seconds matter does a roll strictly take place in 6-12 second increments.
Right. You’re establishing a cost or consequence for the roll (in this case, succeed and it takes X amount of time, fail and it takes Y amount of time, where Y>X and time is, for whatever reason, a limited resource), making that cost or consequence clear to the player, and allowing them to decide if they want to accept the risk and attempt the action, or try a different approach (like, say, the knock spell). We differ slightly in the precise consequences we might set up - as a general rule, I say attempting to pick a lock takes about 10 minutes whether you succeed or fail, failure results in it nor being unlocked, it’s up to you if you want to try again or, and I roll for random encounters once per hour of in-game time. But I certainly have used the “succeed and you open it now, fail and you can open it in (some significant amount of time) before. In neither case are you calling for a roll when there is no cost or consequence for failure.

Where we seem to differ most is on the hypothetical scenario of a lock that you have the luxury of spending days to open at no risk. In theory, you say you’d limit it to one roll per day where I would just say “you take as much time as you need and get it open,” or MAYBE “It’ll take you all day if you do nothing else, do you want to mark off a ration and try again, or is there anything else you’d like to get done today?” if for some reason I really cared how many days they spent on it. But it’s a distinction without difference anyway because neither of us would actually include such an absurd scenario in the game. You just seem really bothered by my choice to frame it in the terms “if there’s nothing stopping you from trying until you succeed, you succeed without a check.”

In my game, crafting requires rolls. Failing could mean wasting supplies and time, or if you’re crafting my something new, it might mean progress is made in design, but that iteration is a useless hunk of parts. Still, simple crafting is one roll, whether it’s something that takes a few hours, a few days, or a few weeks. Complex stuff is a number of rolls determined by complexity. You know ahead of time how many rolls are required, and that only those rolls are allowed. Help might allow rerolls, but otherwise an ability check is used to see if you succeed, not how attempt one goes.
I don’t tend to deal with crafting much, though if I were to, I wouldn’t want it to take more than one roll either, if it took a roll at all.

doctorbadwolf

See, this is why I say what we do is actually more or less the same in actual practice, because such a lock wouldn’t exist in my game either.
Sure, but it’s just a simple example.

Right. You’re establishing a cost or consequence for the roll (in this case, succeed and it takes X amount of time, fail and it takes Y amount of time, where Y>X and time is, for whatever reason, a limited resource), making that cost or consequence clear to the player, and allowing them to decide if they want to accept the risk and attempt the action, or try a different approach (like, say, the knock spell). We differ slightly in the precise consequences we might set up - as a general rule, I say attempting to pick a lock takes about 10 minutes whether you succeed or fail, failure results in it nor being unlocked, it’s up to you if you want to try again or, and I roll for random encounters once per hour of in-game time. But I certainly have used the “succeed and you open it now, fail and you can open it in (some significant amount of time) before. In neither case are you calling for a roll when there is no cost or consequence for failure.
we mostly agree, this far. Tasks take an amount of time depending on complexity and how time intensive I figure it is IRL, without worrying too much about precise realism, but otherwise we’re close.

Where we seem to differ most is on the hypothetical scenario of a lock that you have the luxury of spending days to open at no risk. In theory, you say you’d limit it to one roll per day where I would just say “you take as much time as you need and get it open,” or MAYBE “It’ll take you all day if you do nothing else, do you want to mark off a ration and try again, or is there anything else you’d like to get done today?” if for some reason I really cared how many days they spent on it. But it’s a distinction without difference anyway because neither of us would actually include such an absurd scenario in the game. You just seem really bothered by my choice to frame it in the terms “if there’s nothing stopping you from trying until you succeed, you succeed without a check.”
Not just in theory, though. There are times where a task isn’t guaranteed, regardless of how long they have. Some locks are toward the end of the expert’s competence, for instance. The game mechanics will not be “gamed” to guarantee success. Success is guaranteed in my games ONLY when success is nearly guaranteed on any given single roll.
If the DC is 10 and the rogue’s skill is +7, and they have time to be careful, it just happens. If the DC is 15+, no. It I possible, in fiction, that you won’t open that lock without magic or breaking it, or that it will take until you leave your stronghold and come back to it with fresh eyes and greater skill.

I don’t tend to deal with crafting much, though if I were to, I wouldn’t want it to take more than one roll either, if it took a roll at all.
We like the risk of wasted time and money, with only a total failure wasting the rare ingredients or putting you back at square 1, but that’s our group. I definitely don’t blame anyone that prefers the 5e RAW rules.

Remove ads