Can Sharpshooter be used with a Net?

I'm following along until you say that nets and darkness etc don't trigger the takes damage gamestate. Why do you say they don't? Why not instead say they trigger it and always deal 0 damage?

“On your way to the market, you take 0 damage. When you get there you speak to a merchant who takes 0 damage. He wants to sell you some fish which do 0 damage. You do a persuasion check which does 0 damage and succeed. He sells you the fish for half price and neither of you take damage.

An enemy recognizes you. You cast darkness, which does 0 damage + empowered casting. That’s 0+5. Everyone takes 5 damage. You run away and take no damage. “

This is the kind of scenario this logic creates.

(Edited to make it less sassy)

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Apples exist. Damage exists. Would be the proper analogy.

But unlike apples, damage is not a thing that exists. It is a process that certain game actions perform. Hitting something with a net is not a game action that performs the damage process.

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The PHB does not say the net "doesn't do damage". The PHB says the net "does no damage". The intent of the author may well have been that the net can never do damage, but they didn't write that.
The damage entry for the net is "-"

The description entry for the net does not even mention damage. It doesn't say the net "does no damage," damage is not even mentioned.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
"-" is also listed as the weight of a sling. Are you trying to say that the sling has an undefined mass?

No, I'm just pointing out that the PHB does not say "does no damage..."

It's to cut off the "no damage," and "0 damage" are equivalent argument.

For the net, you don't even get that far.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
Next up: The auditory consequences of falling trees.
Well, if the incident in question occurred during a spectacular performance by the Toronto Symphony Orchestra that included the felling of an oak tree (by hatchet, axe and saw) on stage that went horribly wrong, the consequences would be a dozen Rush fans in the front rows getting crushed by a prop.

Auditorium consequences.

lingual

Adventurer
The score of a basketball game that has not started yet is not 0 to 0.

It's "--". The score is null or undefined. 0 is a value. Null or undefined is the absence of any value.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Interesting. So do you also think that apples not obtained is different than no apples?

Yes, they are different. Apples not obtained indicates some effort must have been made to obtain them but failed. No apples is a simple state of not having apples without knowledge of whether you cared to try to obtain them or not. It isn't really an accurate comparison, however, and it would be best to just stick to the actual topic.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, why don't you assign the output of damage not dealt or apples not obtained as 0?

And as we have repeatedly asked you: why do you keep trying to assign the damage of 0 instead of simply saying damage is never even a factor?
Don't you think they used the "-" instead of listing the damage as 0 to avoid features adding to its damage?

Because I've already explained countless times that an attack that doesn't deal damage always does 0 damage.

And we've explained just as many times that an attack that doesn't deal damage won't do 0 damage because damage is not part of its effect. The effect of a net is to restrain. Just as the roper tendril effect is to grapple--it doesn't have any damage listed or associated with it either.

PHB, p. 196 - "Hit Points"
Whenever a creature takes damage, that damage is subtracted from its hit points.

PHB, p. 196 - "Damage Rolls"
Each weapon, spell, and harmful monster ability specifies the damage it deals. You roll the damage die or dice, add any modifiers, and apply the damage to your target.

What damage does a net deal? Answer: "-"
"-" does not have a numerical value (however much you would like to assign one to it...) and since the net doesn't deal damage, the creature doesn't take damage, and there is no value to subtract from its hit points.

This has been going on for well over 150 posts and you, apparently, are never going to learn. Alas, another week of work awaits and I am tired from a long but fruitful day of D&D. Maybe when I wake up in the morning you will finally realize the error in your logic...

Well, a man can dream, can't he? :)

Remove ads