Making the Ice Storm spell suck less

Dausuul

Legend
While I enjoy reviving a 16-year-old thread as much as the next necromancer, I'm less fond of spammers. Reported.

And on the topic of ice storm... large areas of difficult terrain can have a big effect on a battle in 5E. On the other hand, you typically want to interpose the difficult terrain between yourself and the enemy, which conflicts with the desire to hit enemies with the damage--an enemy in the AoE only has to move a short distance to get out of it, whereas an enemy on the other side of the AoE has to cross the entire thing.

I'd be curious to hear the experiences of players who've used ice storm in 5E. How effective is it as a combination damage/control spell? Was it worth the 4th-level slot, or did you find yourself wishing for an upcast fireball instead?

Coroc

Hero
While I enjoy reviving a 16-year-old thread as much as the next necromancer, I'm less fond of spammers. Reported.

And on the topic of ice storm... large areas of difficult terrain can have a big effect on a battle in 5E. On the other hand, you typically want to interpose the difficult terrain between yourself and the enemy, which conflicts with the desire to hit enemies with the damage--an enemy in the AoE only has to move a short distance to get out of it, whereas an enemy on the other side of the AoE has to cross the entire thing.

I'd be curious to hear the experiences of players who've used ice storm in 5E. How effective is it as a combination damage/control spell? Was it worth the 4th-level slot, or did you find yourself wishing for an upcast fireball instead?

While i hope that you took no offense on my little joke on threadsurrection I find the topic still actual. I found that as a DM ice storm is one of the spells beside spirit guardians to make a caster solo boss a bit more challenging in 5e.

Dausuul

Legend
While i hope that you took no offense on my little joke on threadsurrection...
No, not at all! I have no problem with thread necromancy, I just find bots irritating.

I found that as a DM ice storm is one of the spells beside spirit guardians to make a caster solo boss a bit more challenging in 5e.
Good to know. I may have to try it out one of these days. :) The PCs in my group are a bit low-level for it just now, but soon...

Remove ads