D&D Movie/TV Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

drizzt-do-urden-dungeons-and-dragons.jpg

There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
  • Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
  • The new draft of the script is by Michael Gillio
  • The director is no longer involved, and the studio is looking for a new one
There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"Hold up?" I can only express opinions that "Hold Up"? WTF and give me break. There is no f---ing burden of proof on anything said when one is not claiming some form of universal truth. I said "expensive and good are orthogonal in movies". I didn't say "it is a stone cold fact that expensive and good are orthogonal in movies and anyone who disagrees is an idiot."

Not so fast. According Hussar, good is objective, not subjective.

No, no, no. Good is objective. And since Rotten Tomatoes gave it a critics score of 79% (aka Fresh) and 86% of people liked it (giving it 3.5 stars or better), Pirates of the Caribbean is a GOOD film. Your opinion is unimportant. The critics and the people have spoken. PotC is objectively a GOOD film. There can be no dissension.

Have I learned my lesson?

The objective value of aesthetics is an interesting question, though outside the scope of this forum I would say. However, saying that there is a higher proportion of high quality movies among low budget flicks versus big budget is an objective statement.

Quality is not quantifiable, but the work of talented artisans who are unionized can be quantified in cold, hard cash. The results of spending cold, hard cash to pay talented artisans can be quantified in much more cold, hard cash in profits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ristamar

Adventurer
No idea what movie they are making, but Tanis would be the male lead of a Dragonlance film. Just like Starlord is the lead of Guardians of the Galaxy, despite that being an ensemble film, or Wolverine being the lead in the X-Men movies.

I don't think there's any chance in hell the upcoming D&D movie will be based on Dragonlance.

That being said, if a DL movie is ever slated to be a bedrock for a potential franchise, I think "The Legend of Huma" would be a great place to start. It doesn't require an ensemble cast, there's no pressure/expectation for a sequel, and it would provide a core foundation of lore and history that's continually referenced in the Chronicles.

Traycor

Explorer
I don't think there's any chance in hell the upcoming D&D movie will be based on Dragonlance.

That being said, if a DL movie is ever slated to be a bedrock for a potential franchise, I think "The Legend of Huma" would be a great place to start. It doesn't require an ensemble cast, there's no pressure/expectation for a sequel, and it would provide a core foundation of lore and history that's continually referenced in the Chronicles.

I don't think it will be DL either. Just noticed that some commenters were thinking "male Lead" meant this would not be an ensemble movie. Jumanji had The Rock as the lead, but it wasn't just about him. I imagine the same will hold true here. From old articles, we seem to be getting a FR movie (most likely).

Because we don't have a director, it is very unlikely that this is an obscure storyline. Chances are they pulled out the big guns and went Drizzt or Baldur's Gate with a part of the IP that has a large fanbase. In the articles about the legal battles a few years back, I believe they were shooting for a $250 million budget at the time. That's old information, but it gives some idea of what they are thinking.

You make a good point. That being said, by the time GoG came along, Marvel had already proved their ability to put together an ensemble cast genre flick and have it work with The Avengers. D&D doesn't have the brand trust that Marvel built over the six years from Iron Man to Guardians of the Galaxy.

If Tanis is used as the main character, that'll push a lot to the periphery, or it'll need to be cut. But really, would anyone miss Fizban, the respectful and nuanced comedic take on senile dementia?

You know, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that they'll cast Joe Manganiello as Tom Boyman, Deborah Ann Woll as Margot Champion, and Vin Diesel as the Nightking, thus finally bringing Gary Gygax's D&D movie to life.

No idea what movie they are making, but Tanis would be the male lead of a Dragonlance film. Just like Starlord is the lead of Guardians of the Galaxy, despite that being an ensemble film, or Wolverine being the lead in the X-Men movies.

Traycor

Explorer
If Tanis is used as the main character, that'll push a lot to the periphery, or it'll need to be cut.

As a film, lots would have to be cut. Two hours isn't long for a story of that scope.
Just keep in mind, Frodo and Aragorn were the two "male leads" in Fellowship of the Ring, and there were plenty of other characters in the first film.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a films, lots would have to be cut. Two hours isn't long for a story of that scope.
Just keep in mind, Frodo and Aragorn were the two "male leads" in Fellowship of the Ring, and there were plenty of other characters in the first film.

You could just do Dragons of Autumn Twilight (the module, not the book).

However, I do think Dragonlance would be better suited to a Netflix TV series.

Hussar

Legend
"Hold up?" I can only express opinions that "Hold Up"? WTF and give me break. There is no f---ing burden of proof on anything said when one is not claiming some form of universal truth. I said "expensive and good are orthogonal in movies". I didn't say "it is a stone cold fact that expensive and good are orthogonal in movies and anyone who disagrees is an idiot."

Because those two statements are different? You are flatly stating that expensive and good are orthogonal without any actual evidence and in the face of numerous counter examples. And, apparently, your definition of "good" is "movies I like".

Well, I'm not you. I reject movies you like as being good because I don't like them. So, your movies are bad because I don't like them.

Not exactly the most productive of conversations is it?

Not so fast. According Hussar, good is objective, not subjective.

No, no, no. Good is objective. And since Rotten Tomatoes gave it a critics score of 79% (aka Fresh) and 86% of people liked it (giving it 3.5 stars or better), Pirates of the Caribbean is a GOOD film. Your opinion is unimportant. The critics and the people have spoken. PotC is objectively a GOOD film. There can be no dissension.

Have I learned my lesson?

What's wrong with PotC? Why isn't it a good movie? It's well regarded by critics and people who watched it. Who's saying that it's a bad movie? [MENTION=6906155]Paul Farquhar[/MENTION] is equally wrong by trying to claim that "good" is some sort of nebulous, undefinable concept.

If the critics say something is pretty good, and the people who watch it say it's pretty good, who am I to say, "Oh, well, I'm different, I think most movies are bad, so that means that they're bad". Sorry, I lack the arrogance to think that my personal tastes denote anything remotely related to quality.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I've noticed that movie critics are negative predictors of my opinion of movies. If "the critics like the movie", I won't (for one reason or another). If they hate the movie and explain everything wrong with it, I will like the movie and be entertained watching it.

Therefore, if the early-screening critics come out and complain about the bad acting, horrible plot, stereotype fantasy scenes, clunky special effects, &c … it will probably be a movie worth watching. It might even be goodrightfun.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases