• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 5th edition books should I be buying?

Satyrn

First Post
Some, depending on how low you're talking about. The Tome of Beasts has an Ink Devil of CR 2, then several devils and demons in the 6-9 range and some more in the 11-14 range. The Creature Codex has a CR 1/2 devil and a CR 4 devil, as well as demons ranging from CR 2 to CR 9.

The bloodwar is being fought in the opening area of my megadungeon, so I'm always on the lookout for tier 1 fiends, especially those of CR 1 and lower. I've homebrewed a bunch, so I already have what I need, but I still like to get ideas from the books, too, because inspiration often strikes when using someone else's ideas.

Here are the CR 0 to 5 Fiends from Tome of Beasts and the Creature Codex that I see:

1/4
Kalke - Fiend - ToB

1/2
Execrable Shrub - Fiend - CC
Fire Imp - Fiend (Devil) - CC

Gumienniki - Fiend (Shapechanger) - CC

Ink Devil - Fiend (Devil) - ToB
Kuunganisha - Fiend - CC
Wind Demon - Fiend (Demon) - CC

Pishacha - Fiend (Demon, Shapechanger) - CC
Plaresh - Fiend (Demon, Swarm) - CC

Rattok - Fiend (Demon) - CC
Spawn of Chernobog - Fiend - CC
Wind’s Harp - Fiend (Devil) - CC
Yek - Fiend (Demon) - CC

Bouda - Fiend (Shapechanger) - ToB
Cipactli - Fiend (Demon) - CC
Dream Eater - Fiend - ToB
Karakura - Fiend (Shapechanger) - CC
Spawn of Akyishigal - Fiend (Demon) - ToB
Spawn of Arbeyach - Fiend (Devil) - ToB
Spawn of Parzelon -Fiend (Devil) - CC
Spree - Fiend (Demon) - CC
Nice list. Thank you! You have probably just sold me on the Creature Codex. The execrable shrub sounds especially intriguing . . . I'm picturing a skag going up to it and lifting a leg. :uhoh:

Nice list. Thank you! You have probably just sold me on the Creature Codex. The execrable shrub sounds especially intriguing . . . I'm picturing a skag going up to it and lifting a leg. :uhoh:

LOL. I get the feeling you'll also enjoy many of the other monsters, including such delights as the Arcanaphage, the Bearmit Crab, the Hair Golem, the Flying Polyp, and the Wind Weasel. :-S

Remove ads