D&D 5E Starter Set: Except 7

Dausuul

Legend
Is it possible there is artwork on the facing page?
I thought the same thing at first, but it seems unlikely. You'd expect such artwork to be on the previous page, since the nothic is the first monster on the page. But if you look at the original photo of the book, you can see the page is on the left side. That means you have to flip the page to see the previous one.

bogmad

First Post
Moving on from Nothics and Ogres.
Here's a question, or two, because I don't really want to do the math. More as a fun thought experiment rather than anything, but it'd make for an epic story later if I actually went through the trouble to do this in a game session.

The ochre jelly is immune to slashing and lightning damage.
However, it does split in two when subjected to said damage types, into two jellies with half the hit points, rounded down. Also, it's one size category smaller.

So a large 45 hp jelly slashed is split into two medium sized jellies with 22 hp each.
1st question: How small can a jelly get?

Let's just assume it bottoms out at tiny, at which point each tiny ooze splits into another tiny one.

2nd question: How long does it take to whittle an ooze down to 1 hp tiny oozes, at which point you'd round down from .5 to zero hp and finally destroyed the original creature with only slashing and lightning attacks?

[tagged on 3rd question: Would a tiny ooze do the same damage as a large or medium?]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Moving on from Nothics and Ogres.
Here's a question, or two, because I don't really want to do the math. More as a fun thought experiment rather than anything, but it'd make for an epic story later if I actually went through the trouble to do this in a game session.

The ochre jelly is immune to slashing and lightning damage.
However, it does split in two when subjected to said damage types, into two jellies with half the hit points, rounded down. Also, it's one size category smaller.

So a large 45 hp jelly slashed is split into two medium sized jellies with 22 hp each.
1st question: How small can a jelly get?

According to the stat block, only Medium and larger split. So it will split from 45 to 22, then (two hits later) to 4 of 11 hps.

Let's just assume it bottoms out at tiny, at which point each tiny ooze splits into another tiny one.
Bottoms out at small.

2nd question: How long does it take to whittle an ooze down to 1 hp tiny oozes, at which point you'd round down from .5 to zero hp and finally destroyed the original creature with only slashing and lightning attacks?

[tagged on 3rd question: Would a tiny ooze do the same damage as a large or medium?]

Small and medium oozes do same damage as the large (and is not worth more XP -- the total for defeating the large creature is the fixed xp amount).

bogmad

First Post
According to the stat block, only Medium and larger split. So it will split from 45 to 22, then (two hits later) to 4 of 11 hps.

Bottoms out at small.

Small and medium oozes do same damage as the large (and is not worth more XP -- the total for defeating the large creature is the fixed xp amount).

Oh, yeah. A few drinks in and I didn't read the text closely enough. I was just following the logic of cutting it down until there was nothing left. Gaming it to maximize xp was the last of my thoughts; it just seemed like it'd be a fun story to talk about the time you were stuck fighting oozes with only a slashing weapon...
It gets way overly complicated so I can see why they bottom out at small.

Suppose you could argue small oozes have enough tensile strength not to split apart. Still, curious about how that'd play out.

beej

Explorer
Magical Resistance

*gets seen by nothic, feels skin rotting*

"What is this magic?!"

*rolls high on Con save*

"I resist this magic!"

*has magical resistance*

"I have resistance against that magic!"

... I'm just happy that the rotting gaze is obviously magical even if it doesn't have the "Su." tag. :D

Sadras

Legend
Am I the only one who would be much MORE confused by that?
My initial reading would be something like "Yay, I get to add four! Why is 19 in parenthesis? Is that a max or something?"

Nah, I found it confusing as well.

Thirded. But I wonder what someone who's never played D&D would say.

Fourthed. I played D&D during the THACO years and I was 12 and I survived. We really should stop underestimating new player's intelligence like two numbers alongside an ability represent some form of high-science. Good grief!
And for the record it will mostly be experienced players who buy the starter set, not the other way round.

The 2E one was my personal favorite. :cool:

Seconded.

Stainless

First Post
You mean to say you're not dead, nor insane, and you still play D&D? Not sure I can take your statement at face value, sir.

Still very much alive (I think). Still sane also (I need a few more forum posts before I become unstable). Not sure what's not to believe; young and full of imagination is something that's never changed and never will, although today's culture may have beaten some of that out ( http://youtu.be/tJtEbvSOd_E )

jadrax

Adventurer
Oh, yeah. A few drinks in and I didn't read the text closely enough. I was just following the logic of cutting it down until there was nothing left. Gaming it to maximize xp was the last of my thoughts; it just seemed like it'd be a fun story to talk about the time you were stuck fighting oozes with only a slashing weapon...
It gets way overly complicated so I can see why they bottom out at small.

Suppose you could argue small oozes have enough tensile strength not to split apart. Still, curious about how that'd play out.

Note that the splitting is a reaction, so the Ochre Jelly does not have to split if it doesn't want to. Also if it has already used its reaction for some reason, it cannot split.

Lord Vangarel

First Post
There's all sorts of ways that we, as posters on this board, can be condescending to People Who Aren't Us (heck, we're even condescending to people who are us!), and obviously some people find value in looking for problems when there is insufficient information on which to base a judgement. That's all to be expected. This deserves a prize, however.

Is this a sincere concern? If so, then I will offer a guess: the designers expect players will know what google is.

This wasn't intended as condescending :mad:

Imagine you're a 11 year old who's just been given the starter set as a present and you get to reading through it and draw a big fat blank. Would your first recourse be to Google it? Maybe, maybe not. What I expect from a introductory game intended to get people playing for the first time is everything you need. You don't buy Monopoly and expect something that says you can use this but in order to do so properly go online and get something else. We're not even sure the Starter Set will say go online for this and as far as we know will only direct players to download the Basic D&D rules.

As I understand things the monsters in the starter set are additional monsters intended to add value and not included in the module, if not then I'm sure a description is elsewhere.

I think for the sake of a 2 to 3 sentence description per monster it's a mistake not to include it in the starter set.

4e actually had a ton of problematic examples of this kind of thing in adventures and, once in a while, in a monster book. Unique monsters were the worst, and sometimes you really had to dig through a stat block to figure out what the heck it was supposed to be- human? Elf? Drow? A lich? A two or three sentence long description fixes this problem entirely without eating up a lot of space. (Heck, adjust the margins a little, and all it does is cut down on wasted/white space.)

Agreed, but every single edition of D&D has had this problem with monsters and enemies in adventures, it was in no way unique or special to 4E. I remember going "What the eff is that?!" all the way back to early 2E adventures. Some of my early MC additions (stupid ring binder...) were in the hope that they'd include question-mark-inducing monsters from adventures I had (limited success in this endeavour).

4E did have that stupid thing where they seemed to think a picture made a description unnecessary with a lot of monsters in the various MMs, though, god that was irritating. I really hope 5E's MM has at least a short physical description for each monster.

Remove ads