Command: Flee

Hussar

Legend
I guess my question in this interpretation is how likely does the damage have to be to count?

If I have heavy armor mastery, i could take a 30 foot cliff fall without a single point of damage. Very unlikely, but possible.

Meanwhile taking two OAs from seasoned warriors can do a hell of a lot more damage than even a very large fall of a cliff. So how is a cliff falling more direct than the OAs?

True, but, that's a pretty corner case example that requires a fair degree of meta-gaming. And, it makes a pretty fair exception. I'm not really sure how useful it is as a general rule though.

If your movement is forced I believe that does not provoke AO's, and is not fleeing from a failed save forced movement?

If something moves you without using your movement (ie Thunderwave), you do not provoke an opportunity attack. If something causes you to use your own movement, action, or reaction to move, it does provoke an opportunity attack.

Stalker0

Legend
True, but, that's a pretty corner case example that requires a fair degree of meta-gaming. And, it makes a pretty fair exception. I'm not really sure how useful it is as a general rule though.

I would agree, but to me all of those scenarios fall into the same bucket.

Running through a series of seasoned warrior should be considered as deadly as the cliff. If you rule the cliff would stop the spell, you should rule the warriors would too...or at least generate a disengage before the move.

I think if you are having to dice up how “deadly” a scenario is you have already gone past reasonability.

Hussar

Legend
I would agree, but to me all of those scenarios fall into the same bucket.

Running through a series of seasoned warrior should be considered as deadly as the cliff. If you rule the cliff would stop the spell, you should rule the warriors would too...or at least generate a disengage before the move.

I think if you are having to dice up how “deadly” a scenario is you have already gone past reasonability.

OTOH, the presence of a cliff wouldn't actually stop the spell. You'd simply flee along the edge of the cliff. Sure, it wouldn't force you to jump. But, you'd still move away from the caster in a direction that you could move.

I'd be wary of nerfing the effectiveness of the spell simply because of the wording. Sure, the spell won't cause you to kill yourself, but, it does force you to do things you wouldn't normally do.

I once made a spider climbing ranger who approached the enemy on the ceiling jump... and fall. I ruled it not as directly harmful.
I think it really depends. Sometimes the flee command would cause a disengage sometimes a dash. Depends on what you consider less dangerous. Sane would go for the cliff. 10 ft jump? Probably you jump doing a athletics check. 40ft? Bad route.
One enemy to dash past? Good Idea. 5 seasoned warriors? Not so much.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Flee: The target spends its turn moving away from you by the fastest available means.

This does not require the target to use the Dash action. It just means that if the target has multiple modes of locomotion, it chooses the fastest. The command doesn't require the target to even spend an action. A target with a ranged attack could move away from the caster and then shoot them for example.

I think people are reading too much into this. If the intent were the target would use the Dash action, it would have been specified.

Compare this to the Halt command which does explicitly states the target takes no actions. The Approach, Drop, and Grovel commands both state the target does something and then ends it turn.

This does not require the target to use the Dash action. It just means that if the target has multiple modes of locomotion, it chooses the fastest. The command doesn't require the target to even spend an action. A target with a ranged attack could move away from the caster and then shoot them for example.

I think people are reading too much into this. If the intent were the target would use the Dash action, it would have been specified.

Compare this to the Halt command which does explicitly states the target takes no actions. The Approach, Drop, and Grovel commands both state the target does something and then ends it turn.

I don't think shooting fulfills the requirement of flee. But I do aknowledge that spending an action to dash or even cast teleport is a bit too much. I would look at the turn undead rule.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer

Flee. The target spends its turn moving away from you by the fastest available means.

Bolded for emphasis. I would interpret that as the target spending it's entire turn "fleeing". Like the other options you mention (grovel, approach, etc.), it seems to be pretty clear that if you fail your save, you spend your entire turn involuntarily executing the caster's command.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Bolded for emphasis. I would interpret that as the target spending it's entire turn "fleeing". Like the other options you mention (grovel, approach, etc.), it seems to be pretty clear that if you fail your save, you spend your entire turn involuntarily executing the caster's command.

Still don't see the requirement that the target has to use any specific action. It could use Dash or Disengage, but there isn't a requirement for it. A rogue isn't required to use its bonus action to Dash either.

One could make an argument that if they could mount an creature and move further that might be an option, but the mount rules are kind of wonky with regards to this.

It seems that your position is that the target could not use their action or bonus action, so they could not Dash at all then. The target could go through one closed door but not two, etc.

And while the other options do consume one turn, the way flee is being argued upthread is that it would consume two turns, so...

Remove ads