D&D 5E A Bit More on Subclasses from the Escapist

Stuntman

First Post
OTOH, I think the EK and Arcane Trickster are actually bad uses of subclasses, which the MC rules should have dealt with, particularly as neither really meshes well with fantasy fiction figures who use both skill-at-arms/stealth and magic. YMMV, etc.!

The existence of the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster makes me concerned about the multiclassing rules in 5E. Back in 3.5, they had to make an Eldritch Knight and Mystic Theurge prestige class because the multiclassing rules sucked for making a fighter/wizard or cleric/wizard. The EK makes me think that a fighter/wizard multiclass build will suck in 5E and the designers are trying to head off any disappointment by presenting a fighter/wizard build we should use instead of playing a multiclassed fighter/wizard.

bganon

Explorer
The existence of the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster makes me concerned about the multiclassing rules in 5E. Back in 3.5, they had to make an Eldritch Knight and Mystic Theurge prestige class because the multiclassing rules sucked for making a fighter/wizard or cleric/wizard. The EK makes me think that a fighter/wizard multiclass build will suck in 5E and the designers are trying to head off any disappointment by presenting a fighter/wizard build we should use instead of playing a multiclassed fighter/wizard.

I just see it as more a consequence of the fact that no set of multiclassing rules is going to work well for every possible combination.

So yeah, Fighter 15/Wizard 5 quite possibly will suck in 5E, and realizing this, the designers gave us the Eldritch Knight instead. Fighter 10/Wizard 10 might not even be that great, but then we have the Bard. My suspicion is that Fighter 3/Wizard 17 will actually work pretty well, though.

On the other hand, things like Fighter x/Rogue y or Cleric x/Wizard y seem like they'll probably work nicely right out of the box. Which already means it's probably a better multiclassing system than anything since 2e.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
The EK makes me think that a fighter/wizard multiclass build will suck in 5E and the designers are trying to head off any disappointment by presenting a fighter/wizard build we should use instead of playing a multiclassed fighter/wizard.

I just see it as more a consequence of the fact that no set of multiclassing rules is going to work well for every possible combination.

So yeah, Fighter 15/Wizard 5 quite possibly will suck in 5E, and realizing this, the designers gave us the Eldritch Knight instead. Fighter 10/Wizard 10 might not even be that great, but then we have the Bard. My suspicion is that Fighter 3/Wizard 17 will actually work pretty well, though.

Mearls has mentioned that Eldritch Knight is a good subclass for the Fighter/Wizard multiclass. I think the intent is to make the F/W multiclass suck less by giving access to added spells and abilities when the F/W takes another level of Fighter.

That's just what I've inferred from the things I've seen implied.

Thaumaturge.

Stuntman

First Post
Mearls has mentioned that Eldritch Knight is a good subclass for the Fighter/Wizard multiclass. I think the intent is to make the F/W multiclass suck less by giving access to added spells and abilities when the F/W takes another level of Fighter.

That's just what I've inferred from the things I've seen implied.

Thaumaturge.

I am hopeful that a fighter/wizard multiclass will be viable in 5E. I have the last Next playtest packet and I actually really like how they handle multiclassing in that packet. With that iteration of the rules, I do feel I can make a viable fighter/wizard (at least with a build I have in mind).

I've heard that they were going to tone multiclassing down a bit in the final release compared to the last playtest packet. I think the changes have to do with what you gain when you first multiclass into a second class. I'm not sure how the changes affect the long term advancement of a multiclassed character.

The last playtest packet showed two options for building a fighter/wizard. One was with multiclassing and another is with the use of feats. From what I've seen so far, I like the options I have in building my character. I have character that I've played since 2E and has been converted to 3E/3.5. I can see two ways of converting him to 5E. He's an archer with a bit of magic. His conversion to 3E was rather disappointing. The Arcane Archer PrC just wasn't right, so he just ended up being a straight fighter/wizard MC. I'm interested to see how well I can build him in 5E. I'm hopeful that his 5E conversion would work out well.

I would hope that the existence of the EK in 5E is not a bad sign like its existence in 3.5 or the Swordmage in 4E was. So far, the EK is the only thing I've seen from Next or 5E that made me feel disappointed. Perhaps my concerns are unfounded. I'll know for sure in a few weeks. Fingers crossed. :uhoh:

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I am hopeful that a fighter/wizard multiclass will be viable in 5E. I have the last Next playtest packet and I actually really like how they handle multiclassing in that packet. With that iteration of the rules, I do feel I can make a viable fighter/wizard (at least with a build I have in mind).m hopeful that his 5E conversion would work out well.

Yeah. I usually make a Jedi Knight Fighter/Wizard (or Swordmage or Duskblade) as soon as I can in an edition. For what I'm looking for, Mearls has indicated I should probably go EK/Abjurer. Once the books come out, I'll poke around and see what I think is best, but that's the first build I'm examining.

Thaumaturge.

Remove ads