Errata for Monster Manual and DMG Posted

Paladins just got a buff--warhorses now attack at +6 just like Draft Horses, instead of at +4. I always thought that it was weird that they didn't already, but apparently it was unintentional.

Also, the new wording on "immunity to nonmagical attacks" appears to make werewolves immune to torches and alchemist's fire, etc. If so I plan to ignore the new wording and just stick with immunity to slashing/piercing/bludgeoning.

pukunui

Legend
Also, the new wording on "immunity to nonmagical attacks" appears to make werewolves immune to torches and alchemist's fire, etc. If so I plan to ignore the new wording and just stick with immunity to slashing/piercing/bludgeoning.
It doesn't. All the errata is doing is replacing "weapons" with "attacks". So the werewolf's damage immunity line now reads: "bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks not made with silvered weapons" (see the updated DM basic rules pdf).

the_redbeard

Explorer
Thank you for these, WotC. Now can you release an accessible electronic version of the books so that these living documents can be updated?

And by accessible, I mean something more accessible than Fantasy Grounds. I'm not going to purchase a VTT that I won't use (I prefer other VTTs like Maptool/Mote/Sandstorm) for the privilege of paying again for the books. I expect to pay for electronic access (though I'd be overjoyed if buying the paper also buys the data), but in a format that I can use.

Of course, I wouldn't mind them being released in other proprietary formats like Realms Works, though that's still just another subset of users.

Staffan

Legend
Actually, the text of the errata reads, “If the prerequisite is to be a spellcaster, a creature qualifies if it can cast at least one spell using its traits or features, not using a magic item or the like.”

Ability Score Improvement is listed on each class' table as a Feature. And since you can replace an ASI with a feat if you're using that optional rule, that makes your feat a feature. Which means Magic Initiate counts towards fulfilling the attunement requirement. Especially since when you pick your spells, they have to be from a particular class.
Yes. And that's for "if the prerequisite is to be a spellcaster". Not for "if the prerequisite is to have a specific class".

Here's what the pre-errata DMG says:

"Some magic items require a creature to form a bond with them before their magical properties can be used. This bond is called attunement, and certain items have a prerequisite for it. If the prerequisite is a class, a creature must be a member of that class to attune to the item. (If the class is a spellcasting class, a monster qualifies if that monster has spell slots and uses that class's spell list.)"

The errata says "The first paragraph ends with a new sentence: 'If the prerequisite is to be a spellcaster, a creature qualifies if it can cast at least one spell using its traits or features, not using a magic item or the like.' "

That's a sentence added to the original paragraph. So, a fighter who has taken Magical Initiate for some wizard spells is considered a spellcaster for the purposes of attunement (because they have a feature or trait that allows them to cast spells), but is not considered an actual wizard (because they don't have actual wizard levels). Similarly, all high elves, drow, forest gnomes, and tieflings are considered spellcasters, but not of any particular class.

pukunui

Legend
I know that the new, errata'd printings say so on the credits page ... but if we're ordering them online, how do we know if we'll be getting one of the new errata'd printings and not one of the pre-errata'd ones? Living here in little old New Zealand, our gaming stores don't go through books very quickly, so it's unlikely we'll be getting the errata'd books any time soon, if at all. So if I want them, I'm going to have to get them from overseas.

CapnZapp

Legend
I read that other thread and everything seems to be comprehensively answered.

Maybe it would be better if you ask again and perhaps rephrase your lingering issues?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases