Errata for Monster Manual and DMG Posted

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?474432-MM-and-DMG-Errata-are-Posted Ninja'd. Or I failed my perception and/or investigate roll.

Wolf118

Explorer
No. In order to attune to an item that requires a wizard, you must fulfill one of two requirements:

1. Have actual wizard levels.
2. Be a monster that has spell slots and casts spells from the wizard spell list.

Option 2 is by definition impossible for a PC - it's there to make sure that liches can still use wizard-only items.

However, the fighter with Magic Initiate does qualify for the more generic "spellcaster" requirement. So he'd be able to use a wand of fireballs, but not a staff of fire.

Actually, the text of the errata reads, “If the prerequisite is to be a spellcaster, a creature qualifies if it can cast at least one spell using its traits or features, not using a magic item or the like.”

Ability Score Improvement is listed on each class' table as a Feature. And since you can replace an ASI with a feat if you're using that optional rule, that makes your feat a feature. Which means Magic Initiate counts towards fulfilling the attunement requirement. Especially since when you pick your spells, they have to be from a particular class.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Actually, the text of the errata reads, “If the prerequisite is to be a spellcaster, a creature qualifies if it can cast at least one spell using its traits or features, not using a magic item or the like.”

Ability Score Improvement is listed on each class' table as a Feature. And since you can replace an ASI with a feat if you're using that optional rule, that makes your feat a feature. Which means Magic Initiate counts towards fulfilling the attunement requirement. Especially since when you pick your spells, they have to be from a particular class.
You can cast wizard spells without being a wizard. Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster should prove that well enough.

Is a fighter a wizard for taking magic initiate? I don't think so, since the feat doesn't say "Choose a class: bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or wizard. You count as a member of that class for the purpose of magical item attunement requirements."

Is a fighter a spellcaster for taking magic initiate? Definitely.

By your logic, all High Elves would count as Wizards regardless of class levels. That would also make Tieflings count as both Clerics and Warlocks. See how that doesn't seem balanced?

A spellcaster is simply someone who can cast spells. A Wizard is someone who has dedicated time and energy (aka XP) to study the arcane arts. One does not become a Wizard by simply knowing a Wizard spell.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Maybe you've blocked some of the people posting in it?

Nah, that takes effort.
Coming off the front page, not seeing the page number navigation, and only shows (currently) 7 comments. Perhaps something with the 'News' module is borked. Viewing normally through forum navigation works just fine.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No, promoting posts to articles is fraught with danger. For some reason, sometimes all posts from prior to the promotion cannot be seen on the news page, although they can via the forum or the mobile skin. No idea why, and it's not a consistent thing - it only happens occasionally. The only thing I've noticed is a common theme is that I *think* it's usually [MENTION=52905]darjr[/MENTION]'s threads, so it may be something to do with his account or something.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Just a quick little chime-in here for something I see all the time regarding AL...

The primary reason I wonder is for AL purposes, where table variation on rulings can derail an entire character's playstyle if the DM at a newly visited table doesn't agree with the PC's interpretation of the rules. Since the official stance of the AL admins is to expect table variance, DMG errata was my only hope for something concrete regarding this matter. I guess that I'm too used to the video game portrayal of casters being able to club a baddie upside the head with both staves and rods.

According to: http://dndadventurersleague.org/sage/index.php?title=Frequently_Asked_Questions_(FAQ)#toc , there is very little "rule enforcements" placed upon an AL DM. In fact, that FAQ specifically states that the Sage Advice is NOT official AL rules.

So, "Sage Advice" is not "official rulings". A DM can use those interpritations if he/she wants, but he/she doesn't have to. In fact, an AL game is run pretty much exactly like a home game (in fact, home games can be officially AL games)...and a DM's ruling on how to handle something is the final say. For questions that really are causing loggerheads at the table, the FAQ suggests direct contact with them.

Bottom Line: Sage Advice is NOT OFFICIAL in terms of "how a DM has to rule/interpret". The AL DM can easily rule that a Rod is a club, improvised weapon, or not usable as a melee weapon...it's up to the DM. Not Sage Advice or any "tweet".

If someone has specific info found in the AL resources, I'd love to see it. I don't run AL...yet...but I am contemplating doing it up here at my FLGS. We'll see...

With regard to Errata, I think the FAQ says something about it all being "official" once per year, when it gets included into the official AL packets (players guides and whatnot). So, even though errata is out now, it isn't "official" AL yet because it doesn't come into play until the start of the next AL year. At least, that's how I read it.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Last edited by a moderator:

Bottom Line: Sage Advice is NOT OFFICIAL in terms of "how a DM has to rule/interpret". The AL DM can easily rule that a Rod is a club, improvised weapon, or not usable as a melee weapon...it's up to the DM. Not Sage Advice or any "tweet".
Thus, this is why I wanted errata to clarify it. There are some things that need an official ruling one way or another. Rampant expectations of ETV (expect table variance) can lead to situations like mine. I have a Fighter-dipped Sorclock that I can only play with DMs who allow rods to be used as a club for the purposes of Shillelagh and GFB while using a shield and the Rod of the Pact Keeper he acquired. Otherwise, I just bust out my Monk/Druid Asbestos Bear (polar bear + Ring of Fire Resistance) Sentinel that plays like an intelligent mount.

Remove ads

Remove ads