Mearls On D&D's Design Premises/Goals

First of all, thanks Morrus for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly...

First of all, thanks [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes.

That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to fans of the other, but those differences do matter. There are ways in which I like the prescriptive elements of 3.x era games (I like set skill difficulty lists, for example) but I tend to run by the seat of my pants and the effects of my beer, so a fast and loose and forgiving version like 5E really enables me running a game the way I like to.

Somewhat related question; would the release of an official book of new mechanical subsystems make those who prefer a simpler version of 5e like the edition less? Or is it easy enough to ignore?

I'd like it less, but it's really not a big deal. I've left the game before and I'll do it again if it moves in a direction that doesn't match my preferences.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
There are very few options for fighters of any kind that do anything but hit people with a weapon. The Battlemaster is basically the only option, and he does one thing, which is roll an extra die and add the number rolled to something.

This seems like a gross oversimplification of the Battlemaster. To say nothing of selling the Eldritch Knight and most other Fighter archetypes short.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
[MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] - to clarify: the idea of porting 1e clerical undead turning into 5e isn't something I was actually thinking of doing (nor the reverse, for that matter), it was just an example of a possible hypothetical kitbash one could try with 5e when asking how well it could withstand such major changes in general.

That said, from your assorted replies it in fact sounds doable - just need to stretch the table out to cover a greater level range such that the target numbers for something like a 12th-level cleric in 1e become the numbers for a 20th-level in 5e. (for my own game I've already stretched it the other way, to cover more possible gradations of undead to account for there being so many more options than when the table was first designed)

Hussar

Legend
Somewhat related question; would the release of an official book of new mechanical subsystems make those who prefer a simpler version of 5e like the edition less? Or is it easy enough to ignore?

Obviously not.

After all, there are already HUNDREDS of publications with new mechanical subsystems available right now.

Oh, right, you said "official". Sigh. I still am absolutely baffled that anyone who wants mechanical options claiming that they aren't being catered to. Why do those rules absolutely must come from WotC and no other source? What is it about WotC that makes them the magic rules monkeys?

If you want greater complexity in your game, there are dozens, if not hundreds of products specifically designed to tickle your fancy. YOU ALREADY HAVE WHAT YOU WANT.

The reason you will never get an official WotC one is because there's no way to produce a book like this, which will increase options and increase character power, and still have them play well with other products like the AP's. It cannot be done. So, an "Advanced PHB" is a non-starter for WotC. If they produce it, then they have to use it going forward when designing AP's, or, at the very least, take them into account.

WotC does not do one and done products anymore. They just don't. Every product builds on and is referenced by other products. If you want something like an Advanced Player's Guide for 5e, you will only find it at the DM's Guild. It's just not happening otherwise.

Hussar

Legend
There are very few options for fighters of any kind that do anything but hit people with a weapon. The Battlemaster is basically the only option, and he does one thing, which is roll an extra die and add the number rolled to something.

You absolutely are, although I would say that “wanting 5e to be more like 4e” is a gross oversimplification of my perspective. 4e had serious issues, but in my opinion, giving every character a choice of cool new feature to get every level was absolutely not one of them.

From a mechanical standpoint, it's hard to see how you could make 5e any more like 4e without it actually BEING 4e. 5e, mechanically, is very, very close to 4e.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If that seems to be where the momentum is going, all the more reason to advocate more strongly for a course correction!

Equally so, very important to advocate against any unnecessary "course corrections" from those of us happy with the current direction. :)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I’m not sure how much clearer I can be. I want characters who can do different things, not just do the same thing with slightly different numbers and a different description.
Yet these are perhaps the most important distinctions available - one mechanical, one narrative.

Changing the numbers - particularly in bounded-accuracy 5e - is a big deal mechanically; though at the table it still just involves rolling a die.

Changing the description - well that's what it's all about. Ideally someone sitting in watching a game where those four characters are together in a party shouldn't be able to tell that they're all built on the same mechanical chassis - Sir Hits-hard is played as a quiet gentle giant until provoked at which point he goes into Hulk-Smash mode; Sir Turtle is played as cautious to a fault (or a bit cowardly even?) and always wants to plan things to a T; Sir Stabemlots is a swashbuckling rake with an eye for the opposite sex and who flirts while ignoring all of Turtle's planning; and Sir Shootemup is a shifty sort who never can quite explain just how he got the title 'Sir' and immediately changes the subject if asked.....

There's already more than enough mechanical distinctions in [MENTION=6801845]Oofta[/MENTION] 's list to reflect these personalities - what more do you need?

Sir Hits-Hard and Sir Turtle are doing the same thing as each other with different numbers and different descriptions. You may say Sir Hits-Hard uses a maul while Sir Turtle uses a longsword, but both are just using the Attack Action to see if they hit, and then rolling damage.
Yeah, that's what Fighters do; usually better than any other class. What of it?

It’s jusr that one might have slightly higher bonuses on his s Attack and damage rolls and the other might have a slightly higher AC. Not an interesting distinction. Sir Stabemlots at least gets to use a bonus action to make another attack, but he’s still just doing the same thing, with slightly lower numbers and slightly more often. Sir Shootemup is choosing to fight at a range instead of up close, but that’s nothing the other three couldn’t do if they wanted to. If he has Skulker, he can at least do something the others can’t, which is to attempt to hide when only lightly obscured by dim light, but unless he’s a variant human, it takes a fifth of his adventuring career to get it, and either way that’s the only meaningful difference he gets from the others for the next four levels.
Maybe...and maybe not. There's other ways to work toward the same ends.

Sir Hits-hard is logically going to concentrate his training and magic item choices* into things that'll make him hit harder and-or more often.
Sir Turtle is logically going to concentrate his training and magic item choices into defense, leaving the damage-dealing to others.
Sir Stabemlots is logically going to concentrate his training and magic item choices into either hit and damage improvement (thus competing with Hits-hard for the same resources) or into things that can help his movement speed and agility; and if anything happens by that'll enhance his dashing good looks he'll be all over it.
Sir Shootemup is logically going to concentrate his training and magic item choices into things that'll help him hide, and into ranged items and ammo that the others will likely ignore.

End result: some mechanical differentiation will eventually arise out of their choices of items and possessions.

* - usually when dividing party treasury; and note this is all even more relevant if the DM allows purchase of magic items.

Lan-"and if you don't want those magic items I'll take them off your hands - no charge, today only!"-efan

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I’m aware. I’ll have plenty of time to provide feedback about what O think 5e is doing well and how I think it could be improved.

Yeah, we’ll see about that. A lot can change in the time it’ll likely take before they’re ready to release a new edition.

Again, we’ll see. Meanwhile, I’m going to keep giving the best feedback I can.

Which is fair: but in a similar being, you will continue to experimence pushback. In recent talks, Mearls and Crawford have emphasized how many players don't think about mechanics at all if they can help it, and how Classes such as the Ranger are hampered by too many choices. A lot can change, but not necessarily.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If you want greater complexity in your game, there are dozens, if not hundreds of products specifically designed to tickle your fancy. YOU ALREADY HAVE WHAT YOU WANT.
Don't look at me, there aren't many posters on here who advocate for third party material more than I do.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If D&D's approach doesn't work for you maybe you should learn to accept it or move on to a different game. No game can cater to every preference. If I understand correctly, what you describe sounds more like GURPs than D&D.
This is a BS statement to make, and a toxic attitude. You need to stop telling people to "love it or leave it", especially people who like the game and are criticizing an aspect of it. Their place here isn't any less than yours.

Because Mike Mearls said,

To which, a few of us said, “Yeah, that makes sense. But a lot of players really like having a lot of mechanical options in a modular framework, and it seems like this:

Could have solved the problem on its own, without the need to gut those mechanical options and modular famework.”

And so now we’re having a 100+ page argument about it, because god forbid anyone want more mechanical customizability than 5e already offers. Those dirty powergamers are out to ruin our game with all their badwrong “roll-playing”!
I was more referring to the specific subset of the topic I was responding to in that section of text, but yeah, that too. Although, I think most folks just aren't willing to directly engage, for whatever reason, with the fact that you are just saying that it would be great to have the option to play a version of a class that makes some kind of choice at most or all levels.
If we break every class into a Warlock style structure, with a combination of features to be chosen from that include passive features, feature upgrades, and new distinct abilities (spells, manuevers, etc), and a new choice made every few levels, on levels where you don't gain a feat, or a new subclass ability, or spell, so that most levels have a choice to be made, I imagine you'd be happy?

You absolutely are, although I would say that “wanting 5e to be more like 4e” is a gross oversimplification of my perspective. 4e had serious issues, but in my opinion, giving every character a choice of cool new feature to get every level was absolutely not one of them.

The Battlemaster has a suite of distinct powers. What are you talking about? Those powers are expressed in a way that fits the system, but they're not actually different from 4e powers, or spells.

From a mechanical standpoint, it's hard to see how you could make 5e any more like 4e without it actually BEING 4e. 5e, mechanically, is very, very close to 4e.

The biggest feature of 4e, for a lot of us, is having a choice of a new ability or feature at most levels, and the meaningful difference in playstyle that came with different powers and feats.

The level of customization, and the degree to which the customization changed gameplay without creature massive power creep, and with only a few examples of "broken" options, most of which were somewhat weak options that were still usable in a normal game, but unplayable in a heavily optimized game, was awesome.

Seriously, I played a Cavalier next to a phb ranger with twin strike. We were about even, because it wasn't a CharOp cheese game. Even if the ranger had been heavily optimized, I would still be viable next to him, as long as I didn't ignore optimization, which is also true of options in 5e. Now, I wasn't playing a vampire or binder, to be fair, but the vast majority of options were somewhere between the Cav and the Ranger, and in normal games, the differences weren't really noticeable, even at the very end of the game's publication.

It was an incredible wealth of distinct options, that meaningfully changed how a character played, such that two dagger master rogues could be mechanically distinct in the way they play at the table, but the entire game didn't contain any power gap near as great as those found in previous editions of DnD.

Remove ads

Remove ads