D&D 5E Collectors series miniatures

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I'd drop some serious money for a froghemoth. Wonder if that got dropped from the schedule.
The froghemoth has a July 2014 release date (which generally means in stores in August), but it seems as if that one might be a limited Gencon promotional release, much like last year's Isteval the Paladin.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Ah:

Lots of good details in that Flames of War link.

The Eye Tyrant is 7" (178mm) tall, on a 3" base (75mm), and seems to have 19 pieces.

In comparison, the purple worm is 3.2" high (80mm), but also on a 3" (75mm) base.

Lolth seems to be 2.2" (57mm) high and 3" (76mm) wide, but I don't trust the height.

The Umber Hulk is 2.1" (55mm) high and 3" (76mm) wide, with a typical hunched pose.

Of the figures the Umber Hulk seems to be potentially the most fragile, with those huge forearms on a very narrow upper arm.

Here what I see as the Eye Tyrant parts. I understand the casting of Resin to be quite accurate, so the parts should assemble without fuss. (The problem with Resin seems to be getting the full detail to cast; that was a big problem that GW had. Anyone have information about how that resolved? My experience there is about two years old.)

Main Base
Treasure Piece

Right Body
Left Body

Upper Jaw
Lower Jaw

Spine

Left Tendon
Right Tendon

Eyestalks (x10, on 4 sprues)

I don't understand about the Eyestalks; the body seems to only have 8 attachment points for the Eyestalks.

The Soundrels of Skullport figure (named "Xanathon") seems definitely smaller, with proportionately larger eyestalks. Xanathon also has a much simpler base.

I don't find a picture anywhere of a Froghemoth in this minature line, although, Center Stage Miniatures has this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...mplete-28mm-heroic-scale-miniatu/posts/566675

Thx!

TomB

Last edited:

Alarian

First Post
If they were painted, I could perhaps see the price they are asking, but for unpainted, unassembled mini's, I think the price is way too high. Especially since I would be willing to bet (no offense to you painters out there) only a small percentage of people that paint these are going to get results like whats shown. Most are going to end up with extremely expensive marginally painted mini's. I just don't see the value in that for the cost.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
AAAAAAAAA !

The price hurts. It does my precious. now I must admit that I am tempted still, despite my dislike of WOTC.

Holy Bovine

First Post
If they were painted, I could perhaps see the price they are asking, but for unpainted, unassembled mini's, I think the price is way too high. Especially since I would be willing to bet (no offense to you painters out there) only a small percentage of people that paint these are going to get results like whats shown. Most are going to end up with extremely expensive marginally painted mini's. I just don't see the value in that for the cost.

99% of painters I know would take these on just for the joy and challenge of painting them. As others have said the price is on the high end of normal for resin minis but if you don't like painting you won't get any value out of these (of course you also won't have a sweet Illithid Hunting Party or bad-ass Lloth figure either!)

AAAAAAAAA !

The price hurts. It does my precious. now I must admit that I am tempted still, despite my dislike of WOTC.

Bones kickstarter ruined me for buying minis... I bought 2 complete sets of bones 1 (still don't have even 1 set fully painted) and am getting ready to recive the bones 2 in a few months... so I can't justify buying even good priced ones...

99% of painters I know would take these on just for the joy and challenge of painting them. As others have said the price is on the high end of normal for resin minis but if you don't like painting you won't get any value out of these (of course you also won't have a sweet Illithid Hunting Party or bad-ass Lloth figure either!)

Yeah, these sculpts look absolutely superb. Real top quality stuff. Can't complain about the quality at all.

Scorpio616

First Post
If they were painted, I could perhaps see the price they are asking, but for unpainted, unassembled mini's, I think the price is way too high.
Well, don't forget the price has to include enough profit for GF9 to justify the licencing costs from WOTC. So their retail price has another middleman involved besides the price bump for the "Wear a respirator when trimming" resin.

And when you get right down to it, GF9 are targeting folks who find the D&D brand and the words " Limited Edition" a selling point in and of themselves.

786745.jpg

Every box goes out of it's way to remind the potential buyer that it's LIMITED to 1500 copies.

There are more frugal options out there, but why compete with those? Making $10 per box set rather than $2 means they only need to sell 1/5th the units to reach the same profit.
Bones kickstarter ruined me for buying minis... I bought 2 complete sets of bones 1 (still don't have even 1 set fully painted) and am getting ready to recive the bones 2 in a few months... so I can't justify buying even good priced ones...
I was spoiled by how cheap prepainted minis were mid 2000's, not to mention the bounty of 1st Edition Descent. Bones 1 was merely a return to the price point those cheap commons got me used to. Sadly now I fear the only figs near my price point will be ones I make from scrap...

Big pic th.JPG

Last edited:

Remove ads