D&D 4E can i use essentials with my 4e group?

the Jester

Legend
2) How good is MM2? Arcane Power?

MM2: Good, but still using shaky monster math. The MM3 is, quite frankly, far better by the numbers; however, the MM2 has some awesome classic monsters in it, so... eh.

As far as monster resources go, Open Grave is smashing (but again, with early-edition math; this is a common but easily fixed problem); I use both MM2 and MM3 a fair amount; Demonomicon is pretty cool, though specific, and uses the revised math; Monster Vault is can't-go-wrong good; MV2 is cool, but pretty much low level only and full of very flavorful but campaign-specific villains that are easily reskinned or reflavored.

3) Is there a Wis/Cha race?

Deva is Wis and Int or Cha, and kalashtar is Cha and Int or Wis.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The box sets... red-box... do not even match mechanically with essentials guys. They were produced before essentials was fully designed. I recall things like the slayer having a different base stat or similar things.

Anjohl

Villager
While their options are limited, I do like the use of stances all around. They provide a lit of tactical options for people looking to do some cool things with OAs for example.
I was quite shocked at how little choice you have with the essentials characters. Compared to the PHB, it felt like a huge step backwards. Also, the fighter reverted to being the most boring combat class on the board.

herrozerro

First Post
I was quite shocked at how little choice you have with the essentials characters. Compared to the PHB, it felt like a huge step backwards. Also, the fighter reverted to being the most boring combat class on the board.

On the other hand, with so much material with the classic 4e options. For me at least, it was a breath of fresh air to have a different structure. I was more apt to use essentials classes for new players or for high level one shots.

The box sets... red-box... do not even match mechanically with essentials guys. They were produced before essentials was fully designed. I recall things like the slayer having a different base stat or similar things.

This is correct. The Red Box slayer has a bonus to damage based on the CON modifier; the HotFL had the bonus based on DEX modifier. I prefer the latter, because the slayer then becomes easier to build into a multi-weapon fighter. She can start off with, say, a longbow, then switch to a greatsword for close quarters. At level four, the slayer can switch weapons as a minor action, which makes the slayer even more versatile.

The Red Box mage has several Transmutation spells that are not in the HotFL, my favorite being "Slimy Transmutation."

The Red Box thief has different "tricks" than the HotFL; the latter book, in my opinion, has the better tricks.

The "Standard Array" for the Red Box characters is 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10. For HotFL/HotFK, it's 16, 14, 14, 11, 10, 10.

Remove ads