Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Sigh..... steering support rod broke on my car. No car. No car = no way to work. Wal-mart policy..... don't work Thanksgiving then you don't work here.

I have a beautiful life

Luckily, the garage I go to now can repair it on Wednesday. My daughter is lending me money to do it. Quarterly bonus was to go to Pathfinder figures..... now it will go to repay her back. My luck never changes.

when the bard explains what has happened and why bard.jpg

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Yesterday Niantic sent me a message asking if I want to do another game for them.

I mentioned it everyone at work, and one of the guys said , "Dude... You just got a second interview! Now, just don't go EA on us."

Yesterday Niantic sent me a message asking if I want to do another game for them.

I mentioned it everyone at work, and one of the guys said , "Dude... You just got a second interview! Now, just don't go EA on us."
I am going to be That Guy. I am going to go there.

I...Am going to defend EA. With statistics.

Thirty years ago, when the video game industry was relatively new, a top-end video game sells from $40 to $60 dollars. It was likely made by a team of no more than about 20 people, and sold to a customer base of, at minimum, 3 million people.

Today, in 2017, a top-end video game sells for $40 to $60 dollars, is made by a team of from 200 to 1,000 people, and is sold to a customer base of at least 3 million just to break even.

So. First, making the game requires 10x to 50x as many people to pay. Second, the sales numbers have not climbed nearly as much.

Third. $50 USD in 1987 is worth $108.57 USD in 2017.

Fourth. Conversations on Steam and otherwise have constantly bemoaned high video game prices, encouraged waiting for sales "when the prices are reasonable", and a consistent unwillingness to pay around $100 for a video game.

So.

1) The cost to make an AAA or AAA+ video game has risen by 10x to 50x.
2) The price of a video game has dropped by more than 50%.
3) Customers will not buy video games at a price that would support development.

The only way a video game company today, can make enough money to bring you the AAA and AAA+ video games you want, is to either charge around $100 USD, minimum, and forget sale prices... Or use payed DLC. Payed expansions. Payed upgrades. Micro-transactions.

Has EA gone too far? Yes! But if we're talking about greed, here?

Take a look at those fingers pointing back to you.

And me. I don't always pay full price, either.

But I'm admitting I'm part of the problem... For whatever it's worth.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
[video=youtube;fTRSyZyT930]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTRSyZyT930[/video]
[video=youtube;TlTxR9bBnUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlTxR9bBnUc[/video]

Egil Olsen as a random street singer in Dreamfall Chapters.

Remove ads