D&D 5E Clerical Ranks: A brain-storming exercise

I'm building a Dragonborn Tempest Cleric with the Sailor background and, as many people do, I always find it hard to choose a name.

Because this promises to be a long-term game, I thought it would be fun to have a title that coincides with each level: Either an Honorific prefix, like Lord or Father or Bishop; or a suffix - like Esquire or...uh...Chartered Accountant. Or both!

I chose a random Dragonborn name from the PHB. The theme would be Storms/weather.

Example:
Level 1 would be something like Balasar of the Morning Mist;
-
-
Level 20: Lord of Lightning, Balasar, Eye of the Storm

Silliness if fun but, obviously, extra points cool/creative names.

Have fun.

PS. If you don't want to do all 20 levels try 1,5,10,15,20 or just do as many as you like!

The more we make, the more it helps.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
1st level of course you start merely an Acolytning.

5th level you become a Pastorrent.

10th level you're a Chaprain.

15th level you become a Ministorm.

At 20th level you are granted the title of Hurrophant.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

...flips open 1e phb and ua.... Done!

;)

In all seriousness, this is something that should be done/handled by your DM. I say this from a DM perspective...if you, the player, design a background wherein your character is assigned a "rank" in some sort of hierarchical fashion, then you are inadvertently stepping on the DM's toes; you are "deciding that X is true in the campaign milieu".

Now, working WITH your DM to come up with some hierarchy and stuff for your PC that can be incorporated into the campaign...cool beans! :) In all likelihood your DM will kinda just hand you the reigns and say "Ok, go for it. I'll look it over when you're done. If you have any questions, ask". I know that I've done that...tossed the 'creative ball' back into the Players court, so to speak.

If you want to look at a good "hierarchy" type of thing, check out Kenzer & Co's "Kingdoms of Kalamar"; some really cool stuff in the world (I, however, have a hard time getting over the names of a lot of places...too many apostrophe's (e.g., "ek'gakel", "p'bapar", etc), and too many...er...well, to be honest, just outright dumb sounding town/city names (e.g., "Eb'Kakido", "Shyta-da-nobyo", and some of the small town names are just outright hilarious...they sound like "Poopilipolop", "Twidle-doo", "Fyaft-fapp-iedu" and any number of 4 to 30 syllable names that would be easy to pronounce if you were a crack-head with a stutter).

But their treatment of secret societies and religions? Top notch as far as I'm concerned. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'm with [MENTION=45197]pming[/MENTION]. As a DM I love players doing this, but it works best when you work with the DM. It allows them to grow story and history in ways that a player cannot.

Wulffolk

Explorer
I have always been fond of the Fryar Tuck character. For a Dragonborn that breathes fire you could change that to Fryer "Name".

;-)

gyor

Legend
I'm building a Dragonborn Tempest Cleric with the Sailor background and, as many people do, I always find it hard to choose a name.

Because this promises to be a long-term game, I thought it would be fun to have a title that coincides with each level: Either an Honorific prefix, like Lord or Father or Bishop; or a suffix - like Esquire or...uh...Chartered Accountant. Or both!

I chose a random Dragonborn name from the PHB. The theme would be Storms/weather.

Example:
Level 1 would be something like Balasar of the Morning Mist;
-
-
Level 20: Lord of Lightning, Balasar, Eye of the Storm

Silliness if fun but, obviously, extra points cool/creative names.

Have fun.

PS. If you don't want to do all 20 levels try 1,5,10,15,20 or just do as many as you like!

The more we make, the more it helps.

The XGTE previews have a bunch of Dragonborn names you can use.

Hiya!

...flips open 1e phb and ua.... Done!

;)

In all seriousness, this is something that should be done/handled by your DM. I say this from a DM perspective...if you, the player, design a background wherein your character is assigned a "rank" in some sort of hierarchical fashion, then you are inadvertently stepping on the DM's toes; you are "deciding that X is true in the campaign milieu".

Now, working WITH your DM to come up with some hierarchy and stuff for your PC that can be incorporated into the campaign...cool beans! :) In all likelihood your DM will kinda just hand you the reigns and say "Ok, go for it. I'll look it over when you're done. If you have any questions, ask". I know that I've done that...tossed the 'creative ball' back into the Players court, so to speak.

If you want to look at a good "hierarchy" type of thing, check out Kenzer & Co's "Kingdoms of Kalamar"; some really cool stuff in the world (I, however, have a hard time getting over the names of a lot of places...too many apostrophe's (e.g., "ek'gakel", "p'bapar", etc), and too many...er...well, to be honest, just outright dumb sounding town/city names (e.g., "Eb'Kakido", "Shyta-da-nobyo", and some of the small town names are just outright hilarious...they sound like "Poopilipolop", "Twidle-doo", "Fyaft-fapp-iedu" and any number of 4 to 30 syllable names that would be easy to pronounce if you were a crack-head with a stutter).

But their treatment of secret societies and religions? Top notch as far as I'm concerned. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I'm not really looking for a name. My DM won't have problems with me coming up with ranks. He'll think it's fun.

Mostly, I thought this would be a fun exercise for the community and would help me out because the collective imagination is superior to my own.

Remove ads