D&D 5E Point Buy vs Rolling for Stats

Tony Vargas

Legend
I don't really want to have to compare 5e to 1e and say, well done WotC for not doing it as bad as 1e
I'd rather we look at 2e and D&D basic and see how odd numbers still counted in the form of rolling under for proficiencies.
Mods weren't any different in 1e & 2e, and roll-under was, frankly, a terrible resolution method. So, "well done, WotC, for not doing it as bad as TSR," no matter how faint that praise may be.
;P

I hear you, but that doesn't happen at my table. Ppl here go for the 10, 12, 14 etc.
I'm working on 'fixing' my issue with this.
I think the point of both our quotes was that, even if they're 'stuck' with an odd stat at chargen, players they can 'even it up,' fairly readily - so supporting your point that odd numbers don't happen all that much.

One fix is to find some fiddly thing for odd stats to do. Another is to drop the pretense of 3-18 stats, and just use the mods, straight up. So PC stats would range from -1 to +5, rather than 8 to 20.

Oofta

Legend
One fix is to find some fiddly thing for odd stats to do. Another is to drop the pretense of 3-18 stats, and just use the mods, straight up. So PC stats would range from -1 to +5, rather than 8 to 20.

download.png

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
... roll-under was, frankly, a terrible resolution method.
What makes you say that? It's always seemed an elegant enough mechanic...easy to use, easy to grok, and easy for a DM to modify to account for ease/difficulty of the specific situation.

And, it made every stat point relevant...which matters in a system where in most other ways only even numbers make a difference.

What killed it was 3e where stats well into the 20s seemed relatively commonplace.

Assuming one uses point-buy or array only. The real range is actually -4 to +5.

[MENTION=6688277]Sadras[/MENTION] - one easy fix for strength might be to give the to-hit bonus on even stats and the damage bonus on odd stats - thus 14 = +2/+2, 15 = +2/+3, 16 = +3/+3, etc. Not sure how many other stats have anyhting as easily splittable, though.

Lanefan

Tony Vargas

Legend
What makes you say that? It's always seemed an elegant enough mechanic...easy to use, easy to grok, and easy for a DM to modify to account for ease/difficulty of the specific situation.
I don't know where to begin, there's so much so wrong with it. ;) It was painfully un-intuitive to roll that d20 wanting high in some cases and low in others. It under-valued level and over-valued stats. It had no sensible provision for varying difficulties -
needing to make it 'by so many' notwithstanding. And it crumbled when STR came into it, being unable to handle % scores well, not to mention giant strength.

The best variation of it I ever could come up with, which I use when I run 1e Gamma World, is roll high without going over. So if you roll a 17 when your stat is 18, you did really well, and can 'hit' a higher difficulty task, while if you roll a 17 when your stat is 10, you screwed up.

What killed it was 3e where stats well into the 20s seemed relatively commonplace.
Not that ranks were a whole lot better... well, actually, they were a whole lot better.

Assuming one uses point-buy or array only.
That was the assumption, yes, 'viable' PCs. The top of the range is hard-capped, corresponding to 20. The bottom could go lower for stats under 8.

[MENTION=6688277]Sadras[/MENTION] - one easy fix for strength might be to give the to-hit bonus on even stats and the damage bonus on odd stats - thus 14 = +2/+2, 15 = +2/+3, 16 = +3/+3, etc. Not sure how many other stats have anyhting as easily splittable, though.
Clearly it could work for DEX.

For skills & saves you could receive the 'round up' when you're proficient (or non-proficient, depending on what you wanted to reward). For skills & tools you could pick one 'specialty' either one skill or tool proficiency, or one specific thing you're particularly good at with each, that'd get the round-up.

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend

And, it made every stat point relevant...which matters in a system where in most other ways only even numbers make a difference.

Yup, pretty much this. Apparently its easier to crap on older systems (because they are not current). 5e for now is the golden child until 6e comes out, then people will feel more comfortable crapping on 5e and join @CapnZapp :D

@Sadras - one easy fix for strength might be to give the to-hit bonus on even stats and the damage bonus on odd stats - thus 14 = +2/+2, 15 = +2/+3, 16 = +3/+3, etc. Not sure how many other stats have anyhting as easily splittable, though.

Yes this can be done with all the other abilities - my preferred solution is to integrate Skills and Powers subabilties into 5e.

Sadras

Legend
The best variation of it I ever could come up with, which I use when I run 1e Gamma World, is roll high without going over. So if you roll a 17 when your stat is 18, you did really well, and can 'hit' a higher difficulty task, while if you roll a 17 when your stat is 10, you screwed up.

I thought this was the norm? This is definitely what our table used.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yup, pretty much this. Apparently its easier to crap on older systems (because they are not current).
There are apologists who tend that way, and grognards who tend to the reverse. Then there are those who just love and/or hate one specific edition.

I find things worthy of brutal criticism in each & every edition.

I thought this was the norm? This is definitely what our table used.
Don't remember where it came from, it certainly wasn't anything I saw used at a D&D table, but then these things varied wildly, and I didn't /play/ much in the 90s, just DM'd, so I was wrapped in my own variants.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't know where to begin, there's so much so wrong with it. ;) It was painfully intuitive to roll that d20 wanting high in some cases and low in others.
I have no sympathy for someone who can't handle needing high sometimes and low others.

Pleasant (though I hope rarely seen) side effect: puts a crimp in the style of anyone who brings "interesting" dice to the table.

It under-valued level and over-valued stats. It had no sensible provision for varying difficulties - needing to make it 'by so many' notwithstanding.
Fractions. Roll under 3/4. Roll under half. Roll under whatever fraction. This keeps the low-high score separation in play (in ratio) but varies the difficulty.

As for undervaluing level: in many cases this is just fine as what's being rolled for should in theory have no link to level at all. A 1st-level PC and a 15th-level PC with the same stats should realistically face exactly the same difficulty balancing on a log to cross a raging river or trying to remember a piece of local historic minutae, for example.

And it crumbled when STR came into it, being unable to handle % scores well, not to mention giant strength.
True, though one could always just say a natural 20 always fails and have done with it.

What we did a very long time ago, to allow for Cavalier-like percentile increments to work with all stats and classes, was split out the 1e percentile strength increments into their own whole numbers....thus 18.41 became 19, 18.71 became 20, etc. until 18.00 became 24, with the old 19 becoming 25.

EDIT TO ADD: That said, roll-under strength checks don't come up very often as strength-based endeavours can often be handled by the "bend bars-lift gates" d% roll instead...where, perhaps fittingly, you also wanted to roll low. :)

Isn't it just easier and simpler to say the lower you roll the better in these cases?

Lanefan

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
I have no sympathy for someone who can't handle needing high sometimes and low others.

All I can say is that I taught quite a few people how to play back in the day and they get "roll D20, add a number, higher is better" much faster than the upside down and negative math we used before 3.0 came out.

Not everyone likes the additional complexity. And yes, we all know you don't think it was complex and it probably isn't for you. It is for many, if not most, people.

I didn't mind it, but it was a bit of mental math overhead I can do without.

Pleasant (though I hope rarely seen) side effect: puts a crimp in the style of anyone who brings "interesting" dice to the table.

Nah. Just use different dice. :uhoh:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Noted.

Fractions. Roll under 3/4. Roll under half. Roll under whatever fraction. This keeps the low-high score separation in play (in ratio) but varies the difficulty.
Ugh.

As for undervaluing level: in many cases this is just fine as what's being rolled for should in theory have no link to level at all. A 1st-level PC and a 15th-level PC with the same stats should realistically face exactly the same difficulty balancing on a log to cross a raging river or trying to remember a piece of local historic minutae, for example.
This was a big one for me. A lot of stuff scales with level. Your hps, attack rolls, and saves, most notably. But also some of 1e's other quixotic sub-systems, like detecting an invisible creature or noticing you were just pick-pocketed.

It just never made sense for a seasoned adventurer to get tougher and tougher, better and better at fighting (even if he did nothing his whole career but stand in the back and cast) but stay clutzy or naive or oblivious.

That said, roll-under strength checks don't come up very often as strength-based endeavours can often be handled by the "bend bars-lift gates" d% roll instead...
That was another bad thing about the roll-under system, it often gave you a much easier roll than some corresponding 'special' ability. Bend bars/lift games is an example. Sneaking past something with a roll under DEX for a 17 DEX low-level thief, for another.

And, of course, it just added to the perennial problem of TSR era D&D, unnecessarily baroque resolution systems.

d20's standardization on d20 + bonuses vs DC was a huge improvement.

Isn't it just easier and simpler to say the lower you roll the better in these cases?
It's simpler to say that. But, roll-high-without-going-over makes it easier to handle comparative success and varying difficulty. Say you have several characters vying to do something that you rule is a DEX check. Those who roll over fail, those who roll under subtract the result of the die from their score to figure out how much they 'made it by.' If you're rolling high w/o going over those who don't roll over just compare results, highest wins.

But either way, it's just awful compared to the d20 core mechanic, which is not exactly outstanding, itself.

Last edited:

Remove ads