WOIN What are you doing / what hooked you about WOIN?

Emerikol

Adventurer
If you want one, this would work:

A miss/failure where at least half (round up) the dice are 1s.

I like it because it also diminishes the likelihood of a skilled person critically failing. It's one of the things I don't love about d20 systems where one is always a failure.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I like it because it also diminishes the likelihood of a skilled person critically failing. It's one of the things I don't love about d20 systems where one is always a failure.

It was in one of the early playtests. I only took it out because it was one of various little things which add a couple of seconds’ thought (“is that half?”), and added together they slowed the game down.

tglassy

Adventurer
I actually loved the countdown so much I've used it in my 5e games, when I DM IRL. I have a set of 12 tiny d6's, and when something's about to happen and they all have choices, I grab a handful and start rolling until they're gone, then that something happens, whether they're ready or not.

My brother has started to notice this. One time recently, he saw me rolling them, and his character freaks out that someone's going to ambush him that he ran and jumped in a pool to hide.

Emerikol

Adventurer
It was in one of the early playtests. I only took it out because it was one of various little things which add a couple of seconds’ thought (“is that half?”), and added together they slowed the game down.

I think it will work for me. Maybe you should have had an optional rules chapter. Thanks for providing the rule.

Emerikol

Adventurer
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]
Actually something just hit me. With your approach a person with six dice will have a higher chance of a critical failure than a person with five dice.

Maybe a number of ones on two fewer dice than the total with an absolute minimum of two dice. This makes high dice pools almost impossible to critically fail but maybe that is okay for now. Your way isn't the end of the world. I like thinking about the probabiliities etc...

Thanks again for the info.

daniiren

Explorer
Round down instead of up.

That makes it worse. For the interested reader I have prepared this simulation comparing rounding up to rounding down (with D&D used as a reference):
crit_fail.png

Flips

Explorer
If you want one, this would work:

A miss/failure where at least half (round up) the dice are 1s.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Shadowrun had this mechanic, with the caveat that you could roll half 1s and still succeed if your total check still worked, but it would be a success with a drawback.

For example, you are vaulting a fence (16) with your 8d6 pool and you roll four 1s, two 5s, and two 4s. You would jump the fence, but perhaps you mess the landing a bit and drop something.

Remove ads