D&D 5e Firearms Question

checkmatepc

First Post
Hi y'all,

I'm running a 5e game and in my current setting, its set a few hundred years before the spellplague took place. My question is, do firearms exist during that period of time in the D&D world. I realize that I'm the DM and I could make it so if I wanted to, but I just wanted the story to make sense and have proper technology of the time.

If it's not a proper tech, I don't want to add it in.

Thanks for reading.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Short answer: Yes.

AD&D 2e's Forgotten realms had pistols (starwheels), rifles (arquebeus and musket) and a shotgun (blunderbuss) all powered by smokepowder (considered a magic item).

They had rules for misfires (a 1-3 fouled the weapon) as well as 'exploding dice' for damage (if you rolled max on your damage die, you got to roll again). Also, perish forbid your equipment failed a save vs. Fire (If you failed a save, your equipment then had to make a save as well or be destroyed)...

Herobizkit

Adventurer
"A few hundred years before the Spellplague" is 2e and 3e. 4e's the Spellplague; 5e is 'current' FR.

Gond (and/or his followers) is cited as being responsible for the invention of the starwheel pistol and his churches are a (probably THE) likely source of said weapons.

There are also rules in the 5e DMG (p. 268) for firearms.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I've been pondering using firearms in an upcoming campaign and I generally find them underpowered. I think they should high risk, high reward items, that hit once and then take multiple actions to reload (so the PC doesn't turn into Robocop :) )

A blunderbuss should be short range 10/30 but deal 3d10 damage. Reloading takes 2 actions (which means you can't dodge) and attackers have advantage while you're reloading (so take cover!) something like that. Make it have a Big Bang and then cost a decent amount to recharge it.

That makes it different from crossbows and bows in an interesting way I think.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
ZEITGEIST: The Gears of Revolution has firearms in its setting, though they're probably a bit more advanced than what FR would have. The 5th edition conversion of the ZEITGEIST player's guide has variant firearm rules that hit [MENTION=6801558]robus[/MENTION]'s sweet spot, and it is currently available to EN5ider subscribers through EN World's Patreon.

https://zeitgeistadventurepath.com/5th-edition/

https://www.patreon.com/ensider

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out!

Remove ads