D&D General D&D Class Test- Which character class suits you?

Am I the only one that finds it really weird to base what class you should play in an RPG off of what are (ostensibly) questions about your real world personality? My responses match very poorly to classes I often love to play - part of the reason I play RPGs is that it's a chance to role play things different than my normal life. Or am I missing the point? Are we supposed to be answering the questions "in character"? The description on the page doesn't sound like that to me. Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

I thought there were a lot of questions like that: two questions squished into one. I kept thinking things like "Well, I strongly agree with half of that, so I'll somewhat agree with the whole statement."

"When faced with a challenge, I typically rely on charm or wit to navigate through it."

Umm, in a lot of situations, aren't those the exact opposite ways to navigate through it?

Am I the only one that finds it really weird to base what class you should play in an RPG off of what are (ostensibly) questions about your real world personality?
It is weird because in a RPG, you are trying to be someone else in terms of personality. At the same time, however, you might draw some inspiration from such a test by actually trying out the class it suggested. ;)

I would consider any score 65% or higher to be "significant".

Paladin 100%

(Fighter, Ranger, Wizard 95%, Monk, Warlock 70%, Barbarian, Druid 65%)

Generally speaking, the gishy classes and subclasses look like they would be the most enjoyable?

Yeah, gishes are totally my thing. It's like the first thing I try to make when a new edition of D&D comes out. You should have seen my 3.5 monstrosity I made toward the end. I had levels in something like 6 classes, and my unmodified saves were something like 16fort, 10refl, 16will. Never played it mind you, just built it.

So I did a little testing, the system seems to be a bit simpler than I expected it to be; it's slightly disappointing.

There looks to be 5 questions for each class. Each class starts at 0%. Strongly disagreeing with the question for a class gives 0%, every bump in the scale gives 5% towards the class. So if you're neutral towards a class question, you get 10%, if you strongly agree, you get 20%.

If you answer neutral to everything you get 50% in each class. If you strongly agree to every question you're 100%, and if you weakly disagree you're 25% in every class.

A lot of the questions are fairly obvious about what class they're for; I was able to get 80% druid by strongly agreeing with the 5 questions I thought were for druids, and strongly disagreeing with everything else. (The 5th question I thought was for druid was actually barbarian, which tracks).

I kind of figured that. It is fine by me, I wasn't expecting anything scientific. I only cared that it was made well enough that it mostly works for those that answer truthfully.

What's interesting is it shows how much you identify with the class archetype, but what's actually important as well is how well you handle the mechanics of the class. You might be into mindfulness and not enjoy playing a monk, or be very concerned about the environment and not want to keep track of all the fiddly bits of the druid class.

(Wizard, the others are distant seconds.)

Yeah, this test is completely on vibes. It doesn't take the mechanics of the game into consideration at all. I scored 95 in fighter but wouldn't play it in 5th because of how simple and boring it is in play. I'm totally cool with that, my edition of choice is 4th anyway. Every class there is interesting and fun to play.

Am I the only one that finds it really weird to base what class you should play in an RPG off of what are (ostensibly) questions about your real world personality? My responses match very poorly to classes I often love to play - part of the reason I play RPGs is that it's a chance to role play things different than my normal life. Or am I missing the point? Are we supposed to be answering the questions "in character"? The description on the page doesn't sound like that to me. Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

This is a personality test, so it's measuring what would come natural to you if you were isekai'd into a D&D world with the stats to take advantage of the situation. I also see it as kind of useful to new players who have no idea what to expect to pick something that might interest them, and as a fun jumping off point to discuss what type of characters you like to play.

I'm supposedly 95% monk, 90% druid, 80% wizard, 70% paladin, 65% cleric and sorcerer. I too am curious how I'd have scored on psion (probably really low).

I'd also like to see a test like this for Starfinder, which has a very different set of classes.

I find it weird, but I'm used to tests like this being about our real selves. Some of the questions are more-or-less "Will you fight, go to jail for, or die for this cause?" and my answer is "No, I care about it but I don't wanna die." I'm not an adventurer, I'm not brave enough and also have such glacial reflexes I'd die during chargen. But I can't guess how I'd behave if I was willing to risk my life.

As a result I scored lower on Paladin than I might have otherwise. But I don't care for the Lawful alignment so I'd never, ever be one anyway. The Paladin questions seem to be about helping people but there was only one question about Lawfulness.

A really accurate test would have given me something like 100% non-adventurer, and 0% on all the adventuring classes. Or perhaps a low score on cleric if NPCs can theoretically be clerics as non-combatants. A better-written one would, perhaps, assume you're an adventurer and not ask "Are you willing to risk your life?"

Last edited:

Remove ads