Upcoming products will "touch on cultures that don't usually get exposure."

gyor

Legend
Greece is one of the key foundations of Western European culture, and Steampunk celebrates a recent age of incredibly inequitable imperialism. My European side highly values the rich elements of our culture from the many sources. Another side, looks with mild despair on how thoroughly certain narratives are recited. The point we're at, I feel we could be celebrating every effort to be diverse, and avoid undermining or digressing from them from the outset. No matter how subtly.

Steam punk celebrates technology and and a style, not imperialism. Nothing in steam punk culture celebrates imperialism or colonialism, like abuses of various cultures.

All culture have dark periods all of them. Japan has world war II, the FN Miq'mac wiped out the FN tribe in Newfoundland, many African Empires sold slaves, Ghana apologized for this, even though no one living had any part in that. Feeling guilt at ancient crimes is absurd, all guilty parties are dead.

Steam punk celebrates technology and and a style, not imperialism. Nothing in steam punk culture celebrates imperialism or colonialism, like abuses of various cultures.

Before Steampunk got farmed out to any and all other possible cultures, time periods and fantasy settings, it was primarily set in the Victorian Era of the British Empire, with all the good and bad that came with that time period, including the British colonies all over the world.

guachi

Hero
You can also buy the ebook versions from DMSGUILD, and you can read about the history of these books on DMSGUILD.

I ended up getting one book as a pdf because of cost. In Al-Qadim's case, the benefit of the paper copy is that so many Al-Qadim supplements are boxed sets. I love me some boxed sets, so it was worth the cost.

One set has a flying carpet!

A look at my costs in 2014 shows that I spent $20-25 per supplement compared to a cost of $10 at DMs Guild. The pdf I purchased was the main book, Arabian Adventures, which cost $5 at DMs Guild.

Though no matter what form you get it, Shannon Applecline's histories are always worth a read.

Quickleaf

Legend
The ship book's one of the 2019 releases, and the other cultures one is going to be a 2020 release, so there's no reason to think they're connected.

Well, at least in the case of transitioning from the storyline of Storm King's Thunder to Tomb of Annihilation...the latter hinted at the former with the whole Ring of Winter and Artus Cimber subplot which ToA followed through on.

And the two Waterdeep books Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage are explicitly connected.

So tying releases together is definitely something they have done before.

gyor

Legend
Before Steampunk got farmed out to any and all other possible cultures, time periods and fantasy settings, it was primarily set in the Victorian Era of the British Empire, with all the good and bad that came with that time period, including the British colonies all over the world.

That happened to be the period that inspired it, but not the Imperialism, part, just because they share an era does not mean one inspired the other.

flametitan

Explorer
Well, at least in the case of transitioning from the storyline of Storm King's Thunder to Tomb of Annihilation...the latter hinted at the former with the whole Ring of Winter and Artus Cimber subplot which ToA followed through on.

And the two Waterdeep books Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage are explicitly connected.

So tying releases together is definitely something they have done before.

Both of those examples are adventures having related storylines. Last I checked, we don't have reason to believe the ship book is going to be a storyline book, rather than a supplement a la VGtM and MToF.

gyor

Legend
I ended up getting one book as a pdf because of cost. In Al-Qadim's case, the benefit of the paper copy is that so many Al-Qadim supplements are boxed sets. I love me some boxed sets, so it was worth the cost.

One set has a flying carpet!

A look at my costs in 2014 shows that I spent $20-25 per supplement compared to a cost of $10 at DMs Guild. The pdf I purchased was the main book, Arabian Adventures, which cost $5 at DMs Guild.

Though no matter what form you get it, Shannon Applecline's histories are always worth a read.

I agree, I love Shannon's histories. They provide so much context.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
I have a special place in my heart for the Empires adventure series from 2e, set in FR's Ra-Khati (FRA1 Storm Riders, FRA2 Black Courser, FRA3 Blood Charge). Our campaign in the early 90's was pretty epic.

So hoping for more Mongolian/Tibetan/Indian themed content.

5ekyu

Hero
There are many ways they could go.

There are many cultures out there, even with European.

Russian or Eastern European cultures are some that have not been touched upon much in the West.

Siberia, those from the Northern Americas (Eskimos, etc), and other cultures from the Far North of the Asian and NA continents.

The Polynesian cultures.

Even the Middle East has a wide range of cultures...not every culture is like an Arabian type culture, there are other ME cultures out there.

There are a LOT of different Native American cultures from North and South America and there are a TON of cultures from the African Continent that have never been explored in D&D.

Of course there are also the South Asia nations (as some have mentioned Indian, there is also Nepal, and various other cultures).

Let's not forget the cultures of Australia Aborigines or New Zealand and various others out there as well.

There is a vast array of possibilities that they could explore.

Even if they go with something such as East Asia, China, Japan, or the Arabian cultures...that's still new for 5e and it's been a pretty good while since any D&D has visited most of those.
I would say their tease got results - a lot of speculation breeds hype. Of course if it turns out to be all the more mundane options, that can be counter productive.

Greece is one of the key foundations of Western European culture, and Steampunk celebrates a recent age of incredibly inequitable imperialism. My European side highly values the rich elements of our culture from the many sources. Another side, looks with mild despair on how thoroughly certain narratives are recited. The point we're at, I feel we could be celebrating every effort to be diverse, and avoid undermining or digressing from them from the outset. No matter how subtly.

Victorian imperialism was achieved as a consequence of getting a technological step up on the rest of the planet. War of the Worlds is an allegory for this. This, and many of the other original "Steampunk" novels are actively anti-imperialist. For another example 20000 Leagues under the Sea is also strongly anti-imperialist.

Lantan stands in direct contrast. They could have used their advanced technology to carve out an empire, and they chose not to. This makes them culturally very different to the British (Romans/Americans/humans).

Remove ads