D&D 5E So Now We Are Paying for Early Access?

I have been holding off on buying WGE and GMR until we know if anything in them will be AL legal.
It looks like WGE will be AL-legal once they are happy with the final version. Not sure how that will work in practice, however.

I expect certain segments of the fanbase to have a meltdown if dragonmarks start appearing on the people of the Sword Coast. The alternative would be for the AL to relocate to Eberron for a while; I don't do AL (and I have no idea if that is a viable proposition) but anything that increases the support for Eberron would have my vote.

I get the product now, you get it later, and we are both happy. What's not to like?

Right? This is why I'm so utterly bewildered at the complaints.

If WotC had treated this as a "normal" book, we wouldn't know about it yet. It would come out next year (or whenever playtesting was done), people would pay $20 for the PDF, and that would be that.

Now, people can still do that, or they can choose to get the earlier draft now, see the changes as playtesting happens, and still have the final book at the same time they would have with option one. And it costs exactly the same. No paying extra for an early look, no paying extra for playtest material. It's basically just an additional option, for people who want to use the not-quite-finished material early.

It's a bonus (and a purely optional one), not an extra charge. There are a few aspects of the new announcements I'm not thrilled with, but this? I genuinely can't even fathom the objections. :confused:

Gee, and just a few years ago people got to playtest D&D Next. And then when it released, they got to pay $150 for the three core books. If people do not see $20 for a PDF and helping playtest it and not have to pay any more money for an eventual finished product, unless you want a future POD copy, a step forward, then I just do not know what to think about people on this forum anymore.

CapnZapp

Legend
I found out yesterday about the Wayfinders Guide to Eberron and found out that it is going to be updated over the playtest presumably through UA.

While not a massive fan of the magitech genre the 3E ECS changed my mind. However the WGtE is a "living" document which means it will be updated. Which is fine in theory but in effect it seems like they are monetiszing playtest material (with pretty art) or in effect you are paying for early access.

Think about it "playtest this for us and give us your feedback" all for the low low price of $19.99.

IDK what tothink here, really not a fan of the concept of paying for playtest material. yes I know I don't have to buy it but the idea not such a fan of. I don't pay for early access on video games either.
Okay then.

(I came here to tell you you don't actually have to buy their products, but you seem to have figured out the solution yourself)

Zardnaar

Legend
Gee, and just a few years ago people got to playtest D&D Next. And then when it released, they got to pay $150 for the three core books. If people do not see $20 for a PDF and helping playtest it and not have to pay any more money for an eventual finished product, unless you want a future POD copy, a step forward, then I just do not know what to think about people on this forum anymore.

$50 for the hard covers and you got to participate in the playtest for free. I don't mind paying $50 for D&D books. PDFs and playtest PDFs is a bit different.

Baumi

Adventurer
The only thing that I was not happy about, was that it wasn't clearly labeled as a Play-Test. But I think they rectified that quickly.

And while it is a Playtest and therefore subjetc to future Updates and changes, it doesn't feel like an unfinished Product. It has more than enough Setting Information and Crunch to play in Eberron. The only big thing Missing (as far as I know) is the Artificer.

oreofox

Explorer
The only thing that I was not happy about, was that it wasn't clearly labeled as a Play-Test. But I think they rectified that quickly.

And while it is a Playtest and therefore subjetc to future Updates and changes, it doesn't feel like an unfinished Product. It has more than enough Setting Information and Crunch to play in Eberron. The only big thing Missing (as far as I know) is the Artificer.

It is also missing any monsters.

As for this discussion: I bought the Wayfarer's Guide. The biggest reason I bought it was so WotC might realize that people want Eberron, and might actually make something more for it. I voted with my wallet (well, credit since I had $22 from selling things on the site) because I want more Eberron, and less Forgotten Realms. The more people who do might open WotC's eyes and perhaps make them expand beyond FR.

Zardnaar

Legend
It is also missing any monsters.

As for this discussion: I bought the Wayfarer's Guide. The biggest reason I bought it was so WotC might realize that people want Eberron, and might actually make something more for it. I voted with my wallet (well, credit since I had $22 from selling things on the site) because I want more Eberron, and less Forgotten Realms. The more people who do might open WotC's eyes and perhaps make them expand beyond FR.

My wife offered it to me as part of a birthday present. Not the worlds biggest Eberron fan but I liked my 3.5 version so tempted to pick it up so they make other worlds.

If Eberron tanks the odds of seeing Darksun or whatever will be less.

guachi

Hero
If it were Wayfarers Guide to Blockchains I'd label it a scam.

When I get around to starting my next campaign up I'll probably give this a look. It's otherwise too hard to sift through fan stuff on DMs Guild. I think there really needs to be a better way to find good stuff.

Remove ads