Marathon, Broadway, and Catacomb: Upcoming D&D Products?

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

WotC has been using codenames for its upcoming products for some time, mainly to stop anybody figuring our what's in the pipeline. Those codenames end up as placeholders on bookstores and the like. Eagle-eyed reader Sean spotted some upcoming items on McNally Robinson, a Canadian bookstore's website.

DD_Transparent.png

The items spotted were a 192-page hardcover accessory codenamed "Marathon" (May 2018); a 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Broadway" (September 2018), and another 256-page hardcover adventure codenamed "Catacomb" (November 2018). There's also a set of "Broadway" dice.

Past codenames have included "Labyrinth", which turned out to be Tomb of Annihilation, and "Dust", "Midway", "Cloak", and "Dagger".

Let the speculation begin!

D&D "Marathon" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966240
format: Hardcover
series: D&D Accessory
pages: 192
publisher: Wizards of the Coast
pub. date: 2018-05-29

D&D "Broadway" Dice
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966288
format: Game
series: D&D Accessory
pages: n/a
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Broadway" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966257
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Catacomb" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966264
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-11-20
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

NiClerigo

Adventurer
View attachment 95891I have a guess: one of the next products may take place in Waterdeep and be a urban adventure -one still missing in 5e, and Broadway reminds of New York. The why? Because the D&D Endless Quest books -choose your adventure-style- coming later this year seem to follow these adventures: fighter book - Out of the Abyss; wizard - Storm King’s Thunder; Cleric - Tomb of Annihilation; and the Thief’s book (https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dra...1522438335&sr=8-1&keywords=Matt+forbeck+thief) description says: “Welcome to the Forgotten Realms Endless Quest books, where you don’t just read a fantastic tale. You become the hero — and choose your own fate.
When you tried to pick the pocket of a civilar in the night-shrouded streets of Waterdeep, you never thought she’d catch you — and you never dreamed she’d force you into her service. Now you must find the baby griffon stolen by the beholder Xanathar, leader of the city’s powerful Thieves’ Guild. And if you should fail . . . you can count on spending the rest of your life behind bars, rogue”
I just hope it has a Sharn conversion if I happen to be right -Eberron is my favorite setting. We can have Boromar instead of Xanathar (criminal organization); the Sharn watch, Khyber/lower Sharn instead of Skullport...

Last edited by a moderator:

Remathilis

Legend
I have a guess: one of the next products may take place in Waterdeep and be a urban adventure -one still missing in 5e, and Broadway reminds of New York. The why? Because the D&D Endless Quest books -choose your adventure-style- coming later this year seem to follow these adventures: fighter book - Out of the Abyss; wizard - Storm King’s Thunder; Cleric - Tomb of Annihilation; and the Thief’s book (https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dra...1522438335&sr=8-1&keywords=Matt+forbeck+thief) description says: “Welcome to the Forgotten Realms Endless Quest books, where you don’t just read a fantastic tale. You become the hero — and choose your own fate.
When you tried to pick the pocket of a civilar in the night-shrouded streets of Waterdeep, you never thought she’d catch you — and you never dreamed she’d force you into her service. Now you must find the baby griffon stolen by the beholder Xanathar, leader of the city’s powerful Thieves’ Guild. And if you should fail . . . you can count on spending the rest of your life behind bars, rogue”
I just hope it has a Sharn conversion if I happen to be right -Eberron is my favorite setting

Nice catch.

Thief has to connect to the 2018/Broadway AP. The others connect to the major Fall APs (2015/RoD, 2016/SKT, 2017/ToA) and I can't see them creating a new story just for them (I mean, they could've used ToD if they needed a different AP tie-in).

So based on the write-up, whatever the new AP is, its going to tie into Waterdeep and the Xanathar's guild, and possibly recovering baby griffon. Probably not the plot of the AP, but certainly the opening or side-quest.

Nice catch.

Thief has to connect to the 2018/Broadway AP. The others connect to the major Fall APs (2015/RoD, 2016/SKT, 2017/ToA) and I can't see them creating a new story just for them (I mean, they could've used ToD if they needed a different AP tie-in).

So based on the write-up, whatever the new AP is, its going to tie into Waterdeep and the Xanathar's guild, and possibly recovering baby griffon. Probably not the plot of the AP, but certainly the opening or side-quest.
That would potentially point towards Catacomb being something about Undermountain...

Or the Rogue Endless Quest is related to Xanathar's Guide and not a storyline.
Or the Waterdeep setting is meant to evoke Tyranny of Dragons.
Or the fall adventure just didn't mesh at all with any of the characters...

We'll find out in like three months.

Herosmith14

First Post
Nice catch.

That seems likely.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
the Thief’s book (https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dra...1522438335&sr=8-1&keywords=Matt+forbeck+thief) description says: “Welcome to the Forgotten Realms Endless Quest books, where you don’t just read a fantastic tale. You become the hero — and choose your own fate.
I was 90% certain we would get a planar adventure this year, but this changes everything. Good find.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I really want Castle Amber 5e. Maybe packaged with the sequel, Mark of Amber, which I never played. Actually it could include The Principalities of Glantri and Night Howlers, which all mention the Ambrevilles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads