Patron Details for Player

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I have a player in my game who wanted to created Hexblade Warlock, but didn't want to (initially) know much of anything about his patron. Now, he has requested a bit of detail to help him roleplay. I ask you, GMs, does the information below seem like a fair and substantial amount?

Patron Details:

Patron Lore: Your Patron called out to you in the moment you truly understood the injustice of The Caregiver. As the weeping Tiefling child was executed in front of you, your mind was fully opened to the blind bigotry and slaughter that The Caregiver's religion could incorporate. As you traveled home that night, you stumbled across a Priest of the Caregiver mercilessly whipping a bloodied Tiefling in the street while others watched. Above the chanting of prayers to The Caregiver, one strange and unnerving, yet somehow beautiful, sound could be heard. In an instant, you knew the origin of your Patron, and your mind was opened to the lens of an unfathomable eye. As soon as you had learned your Patron's origin, you forgot it, because your mind was unable to grasp the information. Only one absolute truth remained, all were to be equal under the eyes of this thing, your Patron; for all on Lhaervyn have breathed its breath, trod on its shell, and felt its alien embrace.

Patron Requests: Xan's Patron is unimaginably ancient, and prefers to communicate by writing historical documents that it has witnessed the creation of on her flesh. However, it will occasionally use telepathic commands that convey general intent, rather than direct words, in order to direct her actions. Its general desires are to destroy undead, render all beings at least relatively equal, and maintain the general stability of the world.

Pact Blade Appearance: Your pact blade will likely be a living thing itself, a sword of exposed bone with a hilt of tremulous flesh. Although it is disgusting for most to look at, you are able to recognize it as the greatest gift your Patron could give you; life, which it is a master of.

Thanks!

Last edited:

generic

I know that it's rude to bump up your content, but I would greatly appreciate a quick assessment of my work.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I like it. You said your player wanted a just a bit of information so you don't have to write a novel or anything. You have some core tenets to follow as well as strong imagery of bodies relating to how the entire world is this thing's body. The philosophy behind the thing is still somewhat vague as we don't know exactly how everyone should be equal. Does that opening up social mobility or does that mean making everyone equally a slave to a cult? There's just enough there to make it interesting and spins up new questions that the player should drive to solve in character.

generic

I like it. You said your player wanted a just a bit of information so you don't have to write a novel or anything. You have some core tenets to follow as well as strong imagery of bodies relating to how the entire world is this thing's body. The philosophy behind the thing is still somewhat vague as we don't know exactly how everyone should be equal. Does that opening up social mobility or does that mean making everyone equally a slave to a cult? There's just enough there to make it interesting and spins up new questions that the player should drive to solve in character.

Thanks!

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I like it a lot. But most of this is stuff I'd expect the player to come up with. I wouldn't feel comfortable dictating that level of decision (what the blade looks like, how the patron was met, what the patron wants) to a player unless they asked for it. My bias is that I love creating stuff like this, so when I'm a player I prefer to have that control, and when I'm a DM I assume my players do too, which isn't always the case.

If you enjoy coming up with this stuff, maybe create 3-4 more Hexblade patrons and let the player pick the one they like best?

generic

I like it a lot. But most of this is stuff I'd expect the player to come up with. I wouldn't feel comfortable dictating that level of decision (what the blade looks like, how the patron was met, what the patron wants) to a player unless they asked for it. My bias is that I love creating stuff like this, so when I'm a player I prefer to have that control, and when I'm a DM I assume my players do too, which isn't always the case.

If you enjoy coming up with this stuff, maybe create 3-4 more Hexblade patrons and let the player pick the one they like best?

I agree, but I decided to give the player this information because he asked for it. I would have allowed him to come up with this stuff on his own, but, as you acknowledge, he did ask for it.

Thanks!

The only concern I have is that the origin feels like it is more for a GOO-patron bladelock then for a hexblade. Of course if the GOO was stuck in a sword somewhere (may not even be the bone sword the warlock has) that would solve that.

Otherwise it is great. As others have said, there is enough suspicious stuff to drive a lot of warlock story. Personally, I would be suspicious about not remembering something and then remembering it when it was convenient for the patron (how many other memories have been altered? Did the bit with the whipped tiefling even happen?).

Remove ads