WotC D&D's Best Year Ever - But Hasbro's Goal Is For D&D e-Sports

We frequently get told that Dungeons & Dragons is having it's best year ever, which is awesome news for our hobby. Hasbro's Chairman, Brian Goldner, reiterated this to CNBC in an interview. But Goldner raised a new "e-sports" dimension to D&D's future growth.

We frequently get told that Dungeons & Dragons is having it's best year ever, which is awesome news for our hobby. Hasbro's Chairman, Brian Goldner, reiterated this to CNBC in an interview. But Goldner raised a new "e-sports" dimension to D&D's future growth.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 16.22.18.png

He talks about the Magic: the Gathering online "Arena" which had more than a million beta signups. But then he goes on to talk about D&D. CNBC says "... Hasbro's goal over time will be to build fantasy games like "Dungeons & Dragons" into esports properties "ripe for esports competition" as consumers increasingly choose digital gaming over standard board games."

What that means, exactly, I'm not sure. I'm not 100% sold that the article interpreted his comments correctly. Certainly card games could be imagined as e-sports, and I'm sure some kind of competitive D&D spin-off could be imagined, too, though what form that would take is anybody's guess. Some kind of PvP battle arena? D&D isn't currently viewed as a competitive game, and this could refer to other games based off the properties rather than bringing the tabletop RPG itself to e-sports. However, we shouldn't forget that D&D has had plenty of competitive tournament play at conventions over the years, so this isn't as surprising a move as one might think.

My guess - if this refers to D&D - is that this doesn't affect the tabletop RPG, but is about creating brand new online competitive games based on IP like the Forgotten Realms (although referred to as simply "Dungeons & Dragons"). But your guess is as good as mine!

You can watch the full interview over at CNBC.

The interviewer comments that he thought Dungeons & Dragons was a "so-so brand", and was surprised that it was called out in Hasbro's earnings report.

"We're also building a suite of digital games around Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: the Gathering. Our Magic Arena product is underway in a closed beta, we've had more than a million people sign up, and we're very excited about launching that later this year. So you'll be able to play Magic: the Gathering or Dungeons & Dragons on a mobile device or online as well as face-to-face."

Goldner goes on to say:

"Well, once you build this mobile game, we're also seeing that just with the analogue game, people are watching us on e-sports, we have about a million viewers a month watching a Magic: the Gathering game, and people watching Dungeons & Dragons on Twitch, and so we think over time we build this to be more of an e-sports property, it's a very immersive game, and it's global and ripe for e-sports competition."

It'm not clear whether he's referring to D&D as e-sports, or whether he means M:tG as e-sports and D&D on Twitch.

Competitive D&D play, such as the RPGA's D&D Open Championship which began in 1977, and which became the D&D Championship Series in 2008 (it ended in 2013) involved teams of players competing to score points in adventure modules. WotC brought it back for D&D 5th edition at Origins Game Fair in 2016.

Our own Mike Tresca talks more about D&D competitive play's history in his article Could D&D Ever Have an eSport? "Thanks to its wargaming roots, tournament play was well-established by the time D&D came along. Tournaments were associated with wargaming conventions. The first large-scale D&D tournament took place at Origins in Baltimore, MD on July 25-27. An estimated 1,500 attended, with 120 participating in the D&D tournament."

And one should not forget NASCRAG, the National Society of Crazed Gamers, which ran D&D tournaments from 1980-2011, before moving to Pathfinder instead.

NOTE - for some people if you're viewing this from the news article, something wonky has happened to the comments, and only the first 12 comments are currently showing. If this applies to you, and you want to read the comments, head to the thread here.

dynath

Villager
Man I swear every day corporations seem more and more like Shadowrun MegaCorps. Clueless and idiotic. I could see professional live gaming on TV/Netflix or whatever but an e-sport? That's... ugg... The whole point of RPGs is you can't WIN them you LIVE them. That's just a stupid idea.

T

TDarien

Man I swear every day corporations seem more and more like Shadowrun MegaCorps. Clueless and idiotic. I could see professional live gaming on TV/Netflix or whatever but an e-sport? That's... ugg... The whole point of RPGs is you can't WIN them you LIVE them. That's just a stupid idea.

Did you watch the interview? Goldner was pretty clearly referring to Magic: Arena as an esport, and lumping that in with Live-stream D&D, which from a business perspective is essentially the same thing.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I watched the source interview. The written article is based on misquoting. He was referring to Magic: The Gathering Arena as a possible E-sport, but in the same paragraph mentioned D&D livestreaming.

There won't be a D&D E-sport, at least not in the foreseeable future.

I agree. That's what it sounded like to me as well. He mentions "Watching D&D through Twitch". That's all he was referring to. The MtG Arena is the e-sport part of that quote. I am sure both "Revenue from people watching D&D played on Twitch" and "Revenue from MtG Arena e-sports" are lumped together as "similar types of online revenue from non-board gaming products" in his mind, but I don't think he meant actual e-sports for D&D. None of what he says, about how it is face-to-face and immersive, says to me he is thinking of it as competitive.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!

I've played in convention tourney modules that beg to differ. And as others have said a lot of the classic modules were born from Gen-Con and Origins tournament modules where there are scoring systems in the back of the book. Its not in favor today but its definitely part of the possible ways to enjoy RPG games like D&D.

But I think those who have parsed though the bit where he was talking about this have debunked it.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Did you watch the interview? Goldner was pretty clearly referring to Magic: Arena as an esport, and lumping that in with Live-stream D&D, which from a business perspective is essentially the same thing.

It's pretty obvious that dynath most certainly did not watch the interview. Context? How is that at all important? It's all about knee-jerk outrage! ;)

coldermoss

First Post
Earlier in the interview, before e-sports were mentioned, Goldner said that he believed that D&D was so successful right now because it's an intimate, face-to-face experience.

So he knows that it's doing well because of things that e-sports run counter to.

That makes me pretty sure he misspoke and that he meant that they're going to try to make Arena into an e-sport, as others have said. Or maybe he just thinks of e-sports as spectator games? I dunno.

But folks should calm down.

Tony Vargas

Legend
And, as I am sure you already know, many early D&D players came from wargaming backgrounds, so they were heavily into competition.
Yeah, I wanted to put in some clever sounding reference to tournaments being a symptom D&D wargaming roots, but it didn't sound so great ("taproot?" nah) so I skipped it. ;)

Point is the game was all party-based and theoretically cooperative (though, really, cooperative to survive the dungeon, but competitive to get the most out of it) even back then. So there's no reason it couldn't be structured competitively, even now.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Thinking back to old tourneys. Not only did you have a table by table score to see what tables made the cut for the next round, you would score the players as well. Since each table had the same roster of PC. At the end you had the best player of Quickleaf get something, etc.

I never made the cut though. :(

Remove ads

Remove ads