If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

G

Guest 6801328

However, saying that not all traps should be telegraphed seems to be frowned upon, so I end up in the position of defending when traps should not be telegraphed and only speaking to that side of my design.

If some of us are questioning un-telegraphed traps, the question we are asking is "what is the point?" Your answer to that question seems to be "because in a real world traps would NOT be telegraphed, so it feels more realistic to have them be a total surprise."

Ok, fair enough. I (and I assume others) believe there are all sorts of 'realistic' things that don't actually add to the fun of a game. It would be realistic for sword wounds to leave a lot of adventurers crippled, for example, but I don't find that sort of realism to be a particularly fun way to play RPGs. Some do.

So maybe the question is why does this particular form of realism make the game more fun?

If using completely un-telegraphed, totally random traps, there seem to be a few ways (as I mentioned elsewhere) that this can unfold in play:
1) Players are rewarded for either constantly looking for traps, or randomly doing so and lucking out.
2) Players are rewarded for having a high passive Perception.
3) DM rolls in secret and players are rewarded for having high (normal) Perception.
4) Traps are random consumers of resources by causing damage in unavoidable ways.

Now, a lot of those options are pretty common in D&D, historically. Over the years I've played using all those mechanisms. But, since the "board game" insult has been used by others, those all feel a lot more board-gamey to me. You roll your dice, move your piece, and maybe you land on somebody else's Hotel. Or the lich's death-trap, as the case may be.

So really this comes back to the "player skill" or "challenging the player" thing: I'd just rather play (and DM) where the human players have to pay attention for hints and then use those hints to make meaningful decisions. And by "meaningful decisions" I mean informed decisions with risk:reward tradeoff that will impact the game state either way.

5ekyu

Hero
If some of us are questioning un-telegraphed traps, the question we are asking is "what is the point?" Your answer to that question seems to be "because in a real world traps would NOT be telegraphed, so it feels more realistic to have them be a total surprise."

Ok, fair enough. I (and I assume others) believe there are all sorts of 'realistic' things that don't actually add to the fun of a game. It would be realistic for sword wounds to leave a lot of adventurers crippled, for example, but I don't find that sort of realism to be a particularly fun way to play RPGs. Some do.

So maybe the question is why does this particular form of realism make the game more fun?

If using completely un-telegraphed, totally random traps, there seem to be a few ways (as I mentioned elsewhere) that this can unfold in play:
1) Players are rewarded for either constantly looking for traps, or randomly doing so and lucking out.
2) Players are rewarded for having a high passive Perception.
3) DM rolls in secret and players are rewarded for having high (normal) Perception.
4) Traps are random consumers of resources by causing damage in unavoidable ways.

Now, a lot of those options are pretty common in D&D, historically. Over the years I've played using all those mechanisms. But, since the "board game" insult has been used by others, those all feel a lot more board-gamey to me. You roll your dice, move your piece, and maybe you land on somebody else's Hotel. Or the lich's death-trap, as the case may be.

So really this comes back to the "player skill" or "challenging the player" thing: I'd just rather play (and DM) where the human players have to pay attention for hints and then use those hints to make meaningful decisions. And by "meaningful decisions" I mean informed decisions with risk:reward tradeoff that will impact the game state either way.
"If using completely un-telegraphed, totally random traps, there seem to be a few ways (as I mentioned elsewhere) that this can unfold in play:"

Just curious why on the subject of telegraphed vs non-telegraphed traps the need was there to add in "totally random"?

I dont recall anybody pushing for totally random traps - did the telegraph traps guys get that a lot before their switch? Was that a serious problem at their tables thry fixed by telegraphing?

If so, I could understand that move to the other side of the pendulum.

My game does not featurexrither totally random or always telegraphed traps. Seems to find a working balance my players enjoy with relatively few traps used but when they do they matter quite a bit.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
[MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION], I'm with [MENTION=6919838]5ekyu[/MENTION] on this. I don't place traps randomly. I don't use them very often and when I do it's in fairly obvious locations an situations. As I've stated before, when I do I rely heavily on passive checks.

I've never had a 5E game devolve into checking for traps every 5 ft. Has anyone on this thread ever claimed they were in a game where that happened? Because it seems to be a strawman.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
[MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION], I'm with [MENTION=6919838]5ekyu[/MENTION] on this. I don't place traps randomly. I don't use them very often and when I do it's in fairly obvious locations an situations. As I've stated before, when I do I rely heavily on passive checks.

I've never had a 5E game devolve into checking for traps every 5 ft. Has anyone on this thread ever claimed they were in a game where that happened? Because it seems to be a strawman.

So... you telegraph the traps?

Satyrn

First Post

And if you look closely, you can see the strawman is holding a sign saying "trap here."

5ekyu

Hero
What definition of telegraph is being asked about here?

Is it "dead bugs or other detectable signs of "trap here"" telegrsph?

Or is it "you know, if I were the other guy, this would be where I would put a trap" reasoning and deduction telegraph?

Oofta

Legend

Just repeating the way I run it. If you want to interpret that as "telegraphing" I can't stop you. I don't see it that way because it goes back to PC capabilities and expertise in paying attention to the environment around them, not the player.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Just repeating the way I run it. If you want to interpret that as "telegraphing" I can't stop you. I don't see it that way because it goes back to PC capabilities and expertise in paying attention to the environment around them, not the player.
It sounds pretty much like what's been presented as telegraphing. If the players can guess that this is area is likely trapped, then... what do you think is the difference?

Oofta

Legend
It sounds pretty much like what's been presented as telegraphing. If the players can guess that this is area is likely trapped, then... what do you think is the difference?

One relies on PC skill, the other on player skill and a DM giving out hints. I don't see the confusion.

Remove ads