Some New Divination Spells

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So I've been looking at the current official divination spells and I feel they are lacking, especially in the higher spell slots. And so I have created a couple that I am considering adding to my game. These haven't been playtested, so I am interested to hear what people's thoughts are about whether the spell level is appropriate given what these spells can do, and whether there are any ideas on how to improve them to make them about on par with other spells of their power level.

Also, for full disclosure a couple of these were inspired by a thread I saw on Reddit.

Detect Maleficence
2nd-level divination (ritual)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a pinch of salt)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

For the duration, you can sense the presence of magical corruption and compulsion. Within 30 feet you can detect objects, creatures, or locations that are cursed or under the effects of charms or other forms of magical compulsion. In each case you also identify whether the nature of the magic originates from aberrations, celestials, fey, fiends, or mortals. You do not learn the specific nature of the curse or compulsion, only that it exists.

As an action, you can also learn the relative level of spell required to break the curse or compulsion (Weak – Level 1-3; Moderate – Level 4-6; Strong – Level 7-8; Epic – Level 9), or if breaking the magic requires a specific circumstance or set of circumstances to occur in order to be broken.

If the magic of the curse or compulsion originates from an artifact or deity, you learn nothing except that a curse or magical charm is present.

The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Combat Clarity
3rd-level divination
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a monocle)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You grant one individual the ability to see seconds into the future, allowing them to find and capitalize upon openings in the defense of their opponents. Choose yourself or one individual within range. For the duration, the target has advantage on all attack rolls. Upon a successful strike by the target of this spell, the caster can use their reaction to cause the strike to become a critical hit. Doing so immediately ends the spell.

Doom Sense
3rd-level divination
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You have learned to sense when doom will strike your foes, and use your magic to nudge fate in such a way that makes it just a bit more devastating. For the duration of this spell, whenever an enemy that you can see within 30 feet takes damage, you can use your reaction to deal force damage to that enemy equal to damage by 1d4 + your spellcasting modifier.

At Higher Levels: If you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the duration is concentration, up to 10 minutes. If you use a spell slot of 5th level or higher, the duration is 8 hours. If you use a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the duration is 24 hours. If you use a 9th level spell slot, the spell lasts until it is dispelled. Using a spell slot of 7th level or higher grants a duration that doesn't require concentration.

Sword of Damocles
7th-level divination
Duration: 8 Hours

When you cast this spell, you can perceive the Sword of Damocles, a symbol of doom that waits above the heads of every mortal. When you first cast this spell, roll 12d6. At anytime during the duration of the spell, you can use your reaction to force a creature to gaze upon the sword as it falls upon them. The target must make a Charisma saving throw. On a failure, the creature takes force damage equal to the number rolled when the spell was first cast. The creature is also stunned until the end of its next turn. If the creature succeeds on its saving throw, it takes half damage and is not stunned. Once you have used your reaction to activate the spell, the spell ends.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 8th level or higher, the base damage increases by 2d6 for each slot level above 7th.

Mass Combat Clarity
8th-level divination
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a monocle)
Duration: 1 minute

For the duration, you and up to six other individuals of your choice gain advantage on all attack rolls. Upon a successful strike, a person benefiting from the spell can use their reaction to cause the strike to become a critical hit. Doing so immediately ends the spell effect on them, though the spell remains active for anyone else that has not used their reaction in this way.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm always up for new spells. Thanks for putting these up!

Detect Maleficence looks like an outgrowth of Detect Good and Evil. Additional things that can be detected, at a higher level. Looks good.

Combat Clarity (and the Mass version) look like the type of spell that in normal play seem like they are well balanced, but are part of power-combos. Even the Fighter (Samurai) can only grant three rounds of Advantage a day, and that precluded taking Fighter (Champion). Great Weapon Master, Champion, Elven Accuracy - there are a lot of force multipliers if you know someone in your party will give you a consistent advantage. Mathematically, assumign a reasonable chance to miss it's more powerful than haste when combined with extra attack. And of course it's much more powerful on a offensive caster - disadvantage on all saves vs. debuff, crowd control or even direct damage.

The low level version can be pulled out every encounter of the day when you gain a few levels (casting with higher level slots), while the mass version seems to be exactly what's needed for a tough boss fight.

I'd want to drop off the saves, and put in a penalty if it drops like Haste has. And then run it in play a chunk to see how the balance is.

Sword of Damocles - seems good. Precast no concentration, reaction to use, 12d6 + 2 rounds of stun. 7th level. Okay.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Overall: I think a general theme to Divination spells should be that they only affect your party and your parties rolls. While I can appreciate that you can model "The wizards casts better" as "The enemy has disadvantage to saves" I feel its more thematic to only allow the diviner to affect his own sides crunchy rules.

Detect Maleficense: I would add Undead to the sources to be able to detect vampire charms and ghost posessions and the like.

Combat Clarity & Mass: I think its a good trade for a 3rd level spell. The spell slot AND the concentration is a good trade to give another party member advantages to attack rolls. Adding in the saves negative goes against my "overall" thoughts on the class. I'd try to find another buff for the good guys rather than a penalty for the bad guys.

Doom Sense: As much as I think divination should only help the party, I triple think that divination spells shouldn't mechanically deal damage directly. Instead I would add damage from the original damage source. The Doom Sense should add 1d4+X to any damage rolls affecting the target.

Sword of Damocles: Similar to Doom Sense this should not deal damage directly. Instead I would have them make a CHA save when you cast the spell to create the sword over the targets head. If it has been successfully cast you can then use a reaction to drop the sword which would add your spell number of dice to the original attack you reacted to. Also, by the wording of your spell you cast this thing, don't have to concentrate, and it lasts for 8 hours giving you a reaction every single round to deal out 12d6 damage. I don't think that was your intention but that is how its worded. That would be bonkers if it did that.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback!
[MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION] - I can see where you're coming from on the Combat Clarity. I based it off of a mix of Bless (add 1d4 to attack rolls) and Bane (subtract 1d4 to saves). The intention for the save disadvantage wasn't intended for debuffs but rather more about direct damage spells (knowing when to cast fireball at the most opportune time and in just the right place to make it as hard as possible to get out of the way). I also was watching Haste closely to keep it on par, without overshadowing it.
[MENTION=4881]Sabathius42[/MENTION] - First of all, good catch with the Sword of Damocles! It is intended to end once the reaction has been used, so I will adjust the wording to reflect that.

Also I understand your concern with Divination being more about the buffs than the debuffs. I was trying carefully not to make it seem like a curse, which I tend to feel like belongs more in the Necromancy camp. But the way I view it is less about impacting how the enemies avoid the spells, but improving the timing and placement of the spell you are casting. But as I mentioned with Blue, it was really more intended for direct damage spells rather than imposing a penalty against spells like Hold Person. Maybe by clarifying area of effect spells that target strength, dex, or con. But then I feel it becomes too complicated or unwieldy. I also don't want to add a bonus to AC, since then it becomes too similar to Haste.

As to Doom Sense, I personally don't see it as direct damage since it needs to key off someone else hitting the target. Also, I considered making it the same damage type as the original attack. However, I think force damage is a good representation of damage that in general is very difficult to avoid since almost nothing is resistant to it.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I changed Combat Clarity. I agree that causing disadvantage of saves is not really in line for the intention of the spell. And so I think I came up with a unique mechanic that could be interesting.

jasper

Rotten DM
Detect Last Place You Look
Cantrip
Casting Time: Bonus action
Discovers the thing you been missing for a hour. Command word "son of a beeeeepppp"

ZenBear

Explorer
Good stuff! I would add more out of combat communication methods too, something like:

Conference
X-level divination
Casting time: 10 minutes
Range: ?
Components: bonfire and some magic dust or some :):):):).
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour.

For the duration of the spell, you project an image of everything within 15 feet of the bonfire to another bonfire that another caster is casting the same spell from, and everyone within range can communicate as if they were standing next to each other.

dave2008

Legend
I've been looking for more divination spells - so thank you!

My first thoughts:

Doom sense: I think it would make more thematic sense for the spell if it maximized the damage done or turn it to a critical rather than adding force damage.

Sword of Damocles: I would suggest radiant damage instead of force damage. Radiant is the 4e/5e stand-in for divine/celestial damage and that make makes more sense IMO

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Thanks [MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION]!

So with doomsense I can see where you and others have reservations about divination spells dealing damage. But the way I like to see it is since the caster is really using magic to enhance the outcome of a damaging attack (like nudging a person to step on the one slick spot on the ground and slip into the fighter's sword). As such, it seems appropriate to me. Also, I don't want it to be too similar to combat clarity (which is also a 3rd level spell).

As for the damage type, I can certainly see the association between a diviner and... well... the divine (celestial, gods, all that). But personally, I see it somewhat differently. Damage done by a divination spell is not direct damage, but rather an escalation of damage from some other source. The way I envision the Sword of Damocles is not a literal sword appears and falls, dealing damage. But rather the target doesn't notice the rusted nail protruding from the shoddily made door, causing him to walk into it, painfully flinching from the injury, then having his hand land in the nearby pot of boiling water as he tries to catch himself, and finally to slip on the water that he spilled when pulling his hand out.

To me, this is the damage of circumstance and fate, rather than the divine. And so, it would also be the most difficult to mitigate through resistance or immunity. Thus, for me, force damage (also with it being invisible) makes the most sense.

dave2008

Legend
Thanks [MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION]!

So with doomsense I can see where you and others have reservations about divination spells dealing damage. But the way I like to see it is since the caster is really using magic to enhance the outcome of a damaging attack (like nudging a person to step on the one slick spot on the ground and slip into the fighter's sword). As such, it seems appropriate to me. Also, I don't want it to be too similar to combat clarity (which is also a 3rd level spell).

But it is more clearly "enhancing" the damage if it maximizes the damage and/or makes it critical damage, or even maximum critical damage!

And to clarify, I don't necessarily have any issue with divination spells doing damage, I think that thematically, for this spell, my proposal makes more sense. Adding force damage doesn't same like an enhancement, but an addition. Make some better, seems more like an enhancement to me. You can do whatever you want of course, but I know how I am adding to my game.

Add force damage is kind of a square peg into round hole type of "enhancement" IMO

Remove ads