As a player: prefer Homebrew or Published settings?

As a player, do you prefer homebrew settings, published settings, or something else.

• Homebrew, Baby!

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • Published, my good person!

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Other, heathen!

Votes: 22 22.9%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I prefer a published setting when everyone at the table is familiar with that setting.
Once again I'm your opposite, my friend; as I prefer a published setting only when no-one is familiar with it (except perhaps - perhaps - the DM), thus to avoid canon lawyers, unmet expectations, and a DM who may not be willing to change the canon to make a better game.

But, as there pretty much isn't any such setting out there these days, I'm homebrew all the way.

Otherwise, I prefer a homebrew setting that is generated during play via player and DM input.
As a player, I'd rather explore something completely new to me, which can't happen if I've helped build it in the first place.

Lanefan

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I not only prefer published settings, I prefer published adventures only.

I would be very cautious about entering a game with homebrew adventures. Even 3rd party adventures can be very bad so I would want a DM who is picky about what they bring to the table.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I not only prefer published settings, I prefer published adventures only.

I would be very cautious about entering a game with homebrew adventures. Even 3rd party adventures can be very bad so I would want a DM who is picky about what they bring to the table.

Can I call that out as an ironic answer for somebody with a handle of [MENTION=6748898]ad_hoc[/MENTION]?

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
To me it's both.

I prefer a published setting, and have been running my campaign in the Forgotten Realms since it was released in '87. Having said that, I followed directions and have made it my own. To start, it's much closer to the originally released setting in feel and content than the 5e version now. But I also incorporate probably 95%+ of what's been published over the years and we're currently in 1491 DR.

The way I look at it, what the players read is compiled by many people over many years (true really), and the accuracy of such reports vary widely. I take advantage of the fact that the maps have changed over the years, and tweak things as needed. I rarely use a published adventure as is, but frequently pull pieces out to use. It might be a single idea, room, NPC, or encounter, or it might be an entire dungeon, with little or no changes.

Beyond that, there's all of the stuff that I've added and, perhaps more importantly, the stuff the players have added through their characters over the years.

One of the main reasons I prefer a published setting is specifically so the players can read up on whatever they want. NPCs and plots are almost always modified, and it's more important to me that we have an immersive experience than worrying that they read about this or that. The more they know about the world around them, the more alive the world seems to be. It's easy in a setting like Star Wars, because so many people know so much. So nothing is really off limits. Sourcebooks, novels, video games, etc. But they also know that it's not all 100% correct.

Only what actually enters play at the table is canon in the campaign. And player's input is primarily through the actions of their characters, but they also flesh out things like their families, sometimes friends, etc. And in the process that often helps flesh out the world a bit more too. Like who lives where, does what, knows whom because of it, etc. If they happen to be from a more "important" family, such as a noble family, then fleshing out some of the stuff of that family too is expected.

I see it as a collaborative effort, and I offer suggestions, occasional nudges into certain directions, and rarely an outright "no" to what they develop, primarily at character creation. But when they are in their hometown, for example, and encounter a group of people, it's certainly reasonable for them to help define the relationships they have (or not) with that group of people, as a group and individually.

The exact approach does vary depending on the group of players at hand. Some prefer a much more linear DM-authored plot, and I can provide that. But I prefer it to be more player/character driven. Also, because this has been a long-term ongoing campaign, many of the events, and definitely NPCs come from earlier adventures and players. We have a lot of adventurers retire to normal life, and they usually become recurring aspects of the campaign and occasionally "unretire" as the situation warrants.

Zardnaar

Legend
Once again I'm your opposite, my friend; as I prefer a published setting only when no-one is familiar with it (except perhaps - perhaps - the DM), thus to avoid canon lawyers, unmet expectations, and a DM who may not be willing to change the canon to make a better game.

But, as there pretty much isn't any such setting out there these days, I'm homebrew all the way.

As a player, I'd rather explore something completely new to me, which can't happen if I've helped build it in the first place.

Lanefan

Greyhawk and Mystara are good for that these days for "obscure" settings.

I had to vote Other, because, as others have said, it depends on the DM/GM/Ref/Whatever the game system calls the person in charge. I have played with DMs who are great at running a game and making it fun, but are mediocre at best when trying to create a setting from scratch. Then there are the ones at the other end, who are awesome at creating content, but who could not DM their way out of a wet paper bag. And where they meet in the middle, with a great DM and great homebrew, I just wonder how small a percentage of gamers that makes up and how many of them had the confidence to go pro in this age of 5E?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I prefer a published setting when everyone at the table is familiar with that setting.

Otherwise, I prefer a homebrew setting that is generated during play via player and DM input.
This. It isn't really much fun to do work developing a character with deep hooks into the campaign setting if the other players don't even recognize what I'm doing. It's why as a DM I rarely play published settings; I only do it when I know the other players are also invested in the setting.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Unless we're talking about making everything up at the game table, homebrew isn't ad hoc. :p

True. But it still made me smile :) so I decided to share.

I hope you did too!

And I get what you're saying. With something published by WotC you're getting a minimum level of quality that you don't with 3rd party or homebrew material. And with the limited amount of time most of us seem to have to dedicate to gaming, that's a good way to ensure that at least the material is decent quality.

And I get what you're saying. With something published by WotC you're getting a minimum level of quality that you don't with 3rd party or homebrew material. And with the limited amount of time most of us seem to have to dedicate to gaming, that's a good way to ensure that at least the material is decent quality.

It is not just that. Look at the range in quality in WotC's own 5E adventures. The first few were farmed out to other companies to produce, so they are second party products, and their overall quality was not as good as the subsequent ones produced in-house by WotC. But those early adventures are still better in quality than probably 80% of third party adventures.

Remove ads