Will you make transsexual Elves canon in your games ?

Yaarel

He Mage
Forgive me if I misunderstand you on this sensitive issue, but none of the trans-people I've spoken to want to *appear* as trans men or trans women, they would prefer to "pass" and appear as, and be treated as, a man or a woman. Now admittedly their are internet personalities that make a big thing about being trans, but most would rather not have the attention and would happy "pass". I think it is pretty dangerous to apply any of this to real-life trans people, as many have issues with "passing" since their isn't some magical switch.

At least the trans persons who I know personally take hormonal injections to develop these secondary sex characteristics.

I mentioned one of my friends who I failed to fully recognize because his hormonal injections made him able to grow a beard.

By contrast, I have met (but dont know personally), individuals who prefer to be in between, and to be neither/either gender or sex. In a way, that seems natural. Some humans are this way, and there is nothing to fix, and it is worthwhile to appreciate the marvel and the diversity.

[MENTION=3987]Bagpuss[/MENTION], maybe you are agreeing? If the special shapechanging abilities among certain Blessed, allows them to acquire secondary sex characteristics as well, then they can ‘pass’ as the desired sex − indeed be the epitome of it.

So, for those individuals who want to be recognized as a specific sex and gender, can, by means of the sacred miracle.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It doesn't line up with the standard definition of "cis", but I bet there are people out there who identify that way. Some people say they are "straight men who prefer sex with men", too.

At some point you have to just say no to people trying to commandeer definitions for their own personal use. Straight man = heterosexual man = prefers sex with women. Someone who prefers sex with men is one of the other terms that are in use, or if they are a part of a new subcategory, a new term can be created for them.

Sadras

Legend
But is racial predjudice in your games on the basis of human ethnicity, or on race in the fantasy gaming sense of the term? Do bigots in your world hate people of certain skin color, or do they hate elves?

Haven't explored skin colour but certainly the fantasy race and the human ethnicity (Traladarans vs Thyatians in Mystara). The Mystara setting is full of examples like these.

I agree with people who say “I don’t want to bring real-life political issues into my gaming.” I have to live in a world where people are discriminated against on the basis of skin color, gender, religion, etc. every day. If I’m going to spend my free time in an imaginary world, i’d Kind of like it to be one where I don’t have to deal with those same issues.

Fair enough.

S

Sunseeker

It doesn't line up with the standard definition of "cis", but I bet there are people out there who identify that way. Some people say they are "straight men who prefer sex with men", too.

Well, I mean that's kinda the glory of gender identity. You can identify pretty much however you want, and none of it has to have any basis on anything else.

If I ever get around to running my world, then Elf is both the race and the gender. I actually am considering patterning them after the Asari from Mass Effect.

pemerton

Legend
No the Queen actually has a lot of constitutional power here. The only one she uses is to reopen parliament. The governor general can fire the prime minister and I think she can dissolve parliament as well.

She never uses her power but theoretically she can stop the rise of say a fascist government. If her use of the power was not popular, I imagine we would become a republic fairly quickly. The police/armed forces would not launch a coup but say there was a minority government that convinced some stupid minor party to coalition with them and turn the country into a dictatorship in theory she can dissolve parliament and fire the Prime Minister via the governor general. If they refused to go legally the Police (independent of parliament) could arrest them and new elections would be called.

In practice it would depend on how popular the current prime minster would be and if the Police would choose sides, collude or do nothing. Technically we are a constitutional monarchy (we have no constitution). The armed forces are supposed to be loyal to the governor general not the government.
I'm a constitutional lawyer in Australia. I don't think NZ constitutional law is very different from Australia's or the UK's (which I also know pretty well) in these respects.

It's not the Queen's job to stop fascist governments. And dissolving parliament other than on the advice of the PM would itself constitute a coup. Some people describe the 1975 crisis in Australia in those terms, but it was a little bit more ambiguous because that government had failed to guarantee supply; but you are positing the Queen dissolving a parliament that has establsihed a government and/or dismissing a PM who enjoys the confidence of a unicameral parliament.

The loyalty of the armed forces to the Governor-General is a device. Given that the GG is herself acting unconstitutionally if she disregards the advice of the PM and Minister of Defence, the armed forces in practice act at the direction of Cabinet. Again, there is no signficant difference in this respect between NZ and Australian practice, and the principle of civilian control over the armed forces, which in practice means direction by the Cabinet, was strongly re-affirmed in a fairly recent High Court case here (the CPCF case, dealing with migrant interdiction).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Haven’t read the whole thread, but has anyone decided to make a Transgender Elf Cannon for their game? (Asking for a friend.)

Remove ads