• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will you make transsexual Elves canon in your games ?

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm a constitutional lawyer in Australia. I don't think NZ constitutional law is very different from Australia's or the UK's (which I also know pretty well) in these respects.

It's not the Queen's job to stop fascist governments. And dissolving parliament other than on the advice of the PM would itself constitute a coup. Some people describe the 1975 crisis in Australia in those terms, but it was a little bit more ambiguous because that government had failed to guarantee supply; but you are positing the Queen dissolving a parliament that has establsihed a government and/or dismissing a PM who enjoys the confidence of a unicameral parliament.

The loyalty of the armed forces to the Governor-General is a device. Given that the GG is herself acting unconstitutionally if she disregards the advice of the PM and Minister of Defence, the armed forces in practice act at the direction of Cabinet. Again, there is no signficant difference in this respect between NZ and Australian practice, and the principle of civilian control over the armed forces, which in practice means direction by the Cabinet, was strongly re-affirmed in a fairly recent High Court case here (the CPCF case, dealing with migrant interdiction).

We never had the 1975 Aussie thing here where the Governor General fired the PM after the opposition leader talked him into it. That one of the powers a GG can use, I think one of the other 3 is she can dissolve parliament. 4 of them have not been used (3 in Aussies case).

pemerton

Legend
We never had the 1975 Aussie thing here where the Governor General fired the PM after the opposition leader talked him into it.
Because your parliament is unicameral. Australia is fairly distinctive in combining Westminster parliamentary government with strong bicameralism.

Well, I mean that's kinda the glory of gender identity. You can identify pretty much however you want, and none of it has to have any basis on anything else.
Ehh... in the standard analysis, the gender identity is the "man" or "woman" part. It does have that property. But the "trans" or "cis" part is a description of how they came by that identity, and so has a basis in certain biological and/or biographical facts. It can itself be an identity on top of the gender identity, obviously, but it's not quite so... open.

The thing is, the sort of person who is going to say a thing like that is probably aware of the standard analysis, and so is presumably bucking it deliberately. It's an interesting question as to why, and what they're trying to communicate about themselves. (They're more than likely failing to communicate it, because everybody else is misunderstanding them as saying something crazy. I wouldn't recommend bucking the standard analysis, if anyone were to ask me. But for some reason, people usually don't. ;) )

Haven’t read the whole thread, but has anyone decided to make a Transgender Elf Cannon for their game? (Asking for a friend.)
Is it a cannon that fires transgender elves?

Or a cannon of elven make that does not identify as the expected gender for its biological sex?

The ambiguity abounds!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The one thing I'd need to figure out if a player wanted to have this trait would be what would happen if the character were pregnant and decided to wake up male the next day. That would be complicated.
There's two ways to handle this.

The simple way is to have pregnancy more or less force the Elf to remain female until birth (or until weaning?). As a side effect this gives then-female Elves the most accurate pregnancy test of all: the morning after an "encounter", try to flip to male. If you can, you're not pregnant. :)

The less-simple way is to allow a pregnant Elf to switch to male in all respects other than the internal child-supporting bits - in effect, resulting in a pregnant male - and only force the Elf to female when labour and birth are imminent. It's up to the individual Elf to decide whether to remain female in order to nurse; a flip to male would end lactation.

I'd be inclined to make it a racial feat that would let the elf wake up with a sub-race and gender of its choice. That gets interesting.
Gender doesn't affect stats but Elvish sub-race does, at least in my game, which would immediately make this a bookkeeping nightmare. Not gonna happen. :)

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Haven’t read the whole thread, but has anyone decided to make a Transgender Elf Cannon for their game? (Asking for a friend.)
A cannon made out of transgender Elves?

I don't think that's gonna work very well.

That said, there is real-world precedent for Human cannonballs......

Remove ads