D&D 5E Lots Of Art (and some Warlock stuff)

Redbadge

Explorer
If spell slots are what power their spells, they really don't have a lot of casting per day. Obviously, the slots will scale with the "Slot Level" column. So warlocks will have 2 5th level spells per day. Similar top level power to full casters, but none of the depth.

As the "encounter-based" class, Warlock's spell slots likely all recharge during a short rest.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
As the "encounter-based" class, Warlock's spell slots likely all recharge during a short rest.
Didn't consider that. Yea, I guess that's a possibility. I just don't see it, though. 2 max level slots (at least up to 10th) is a lot of firepower for every encounter. Especially since wiz/cleric only get 2 per long rest.

I think the invocations are intended to be their bread and butter, honestly. The spells are special occasions.

<edit>
I'm actually feeling more strongly about this. There are a lot of parallels between the wizard and the warlock. Looking at their pre-11th progression, wizards get a new spell level with 2 slots on odd levels. Warlocks get a Slot Level upgrade. At even levels, Wizards add a 3rd max level slot. Warlocks gain a new invocation.

At 11th, when wizards add their one 6th level slot, warlocks get their Mystic Arcanum (6th) and a 3rd level slot. The fact that Slot level no longer increases, right when Wizards shift to their more limited spell slot progression, indicates to me their trying to maintain parallels between top level spell capability of the Warlock and Wizard. The difference is that Wizards use lower level spell slots as their bread and butter actions, while Warlock use invocations.

Last edited:

kettite

Explorer
Well, I just had an art-gasm.

Great stuff all around; I am a huge fan of the concept/design art collections for movies (like the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars trilogy various art books) and that wood elf village seems straight from one (which makes sense considering what Klaus wrote). I'll just leave the book open and stare at the picture for a while and let my imagination run wild as I did when I was a child.

Congrats to [MENTION=607]Klaus[/MENTION] for the beautiful artwork and the accomplishment of getting published. Really superb stuff. I'm very excited to get the book in four short weeks!

TwoSix

Also why are they saying the warlock class is new?
I assume because we haven't seen it yet. All of the classes would be new, outside of the core 4 from Basic.

They're saying "Here's the NEW warlock", not "Warlock is a brand new class to D&D".

I assume because we haven't seen it yet. All of the classes would be new, outside of the core 4 from Basic.

They're saying "Here's the NEW warlock", not "Warlock is a brand new class to D&D".

Mmmmm, what they actually say is:

BoingBoing said:
And here's some of rulebook’s art, as well as an exclusive reveal of a new D&D class: the Warlock.

I really tend to read that as the author thinks that the class is actually "a new class", not a new iteration of a two-edition-old class! No way they'd phrase it like that if it was the Fighter, eh?

Most likely said writer hasn't played D&D for a good while, or just doesn't follow D&D closely, imo. Unsurprising. I was shocked that the NYT article mentioned Mind Flayers!

TwoSix

I really tend to read that as the author thinks that the class is actually "a new class", not a new iteration of a two-edition-old class! No way they'd phrase it like that if it was the Fighter, eh?

Most likely said writer hasn't played D&D for a good while, or just doesn't follow D&D closely, imo. Unsurprising. I was shocked that the NYT article mentioned Mind Flayers!
I doubt it. It's Ethan Gilsdorf. He wrote the NYT article too. He's pretty much to go-to guy for mainstream media when they talk about RPGs.

I really think they just meant "a new 5e D&D class".

JeffB

Legend
I do like Claudio's piece. That's a much better representation of the 5E bug bear than that horrible piece in the starter box adventure.

Overall though the art in 5e reminds me of 2006ish Forgotten Realms art. Boring.

Good to see WAR back for 5e, though I don't think he should be as overused as he was before.

The Warlock, I presume she's a Gnome but she could be a Halfling.

Remove ads