D&D 5E Lots Of Art (and some Warlock stuff)

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Overall I like it.

My first thought with the wood elf village was "Finally, wood elves that don't live in treetops." This piece has a sense of reality to it that I love. I like high fantasy too (pun unintended) but it's nice to see elven architecture that isn't in the style of Qualinost or Solace from Dragonlance.

The dragon picture is ok. It sort of goes the other way; that pile of treasure is huge; it just doesn't feel grounded enough. But I like it fine. The maw full of white hot flame about to breathe is a nice touch.

Mordenkainen's Sword could use some more detail IMO to better fit in with the rest of the piece; the spell itself feels unfinished. But I like the composition, the character, and the owl.

Cloudkill is good. I especially like the bugbears, especially the one in the foreground. They're thuggish, big, but lean and obviously capable of moving deftly, as a bugbear should be. The spell itself is a neat take on it, usually it's depicted as a creeping gas, whereas this is exploding outward; I like that energy.

The high elf wizard has some nice colors; you don't see enough gold on wizards and it suites a high elf. I like the action pose, it's interesting and appropriate for a wizard with high dexterity. The spell itself is unfortunately forgettable, I'd have rather seen something iconic, like a lightning bolt, burning hands, magic missile, or something recognizable instead of some floating glyphs.

The warlock looks good. I think I would have preferred an action shot, or something more, perhaps to give a hint of her patron, but she looks creepy cool.

GrumpyGamer

First Post
  • I love the picture of the dragon defending its horde.
  • I am not a fan of the Wizard with the owl, but I understand I need to share the game with Harry Potter fans.
  • I am thankful that the dwarf, in the image with cloudkill killing the bugbears, is not white.
  • Warlock looks good.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Yeah I agree, it's a trivial sentence. Stuff like that is annoying, like someone saying " Well it may or may not ....". Of course it may or may not, WTF other possible choice could there be!? Its a sentence people say to act as though they are contributing to the conversation but clearly have no meaningful input.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Aside from [MENTION=607]Klaus[/MENTION]' bugbears, who look great, this selection doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. Most of it is technically sound, but it is so /flat/. Where are the glistening scales, the shining fur, the glint of chainmail? Where's the /light/? The color? The detail and sharpness? This is all so muddy!

- Contrast that red dragon with these red dragons.
- WAR's owl is nice, and it doesn't even have its beak open, but I still can't get over the blatant asymmetry of the sword itself, right in the focal point of the image. I could do better with crayon. Contrast these swords.
- That elven city looks like Ralph McQuarrie just /lifted/ it straight out of one of John Howe's notebooks; it's evocative, but it's not a finished piece of artwork. It's quality halfway point to a movie set or matte painting. Contrast these locations.
- If the elven wizardess is what we have to look forward to in terms of female art, I'll take my chainmail bikinis back, thanks. Easily in the running for the ugliest piece of D&D art ever, and I'm not talking about her looks. What is with that /pose/? If she sticks her ass out any farther it's going to /come off/! Oh, but /thank the gods/ her cleavage isn't showing, that would be /gauche/. What's she doing, anyway, casting Headlong Fall into the Orchestra Pit? Contrast Tika Waylan, who might be showing a little thigh but at least I believe she remains standing following the snapshot.

Even the PHB cover, which is a beautifully detailed piece of art, is all in shades of brown. Sure, it's better than Harald the Hip-Checker, but compared to the cover art of any of the WH40KRP core books it's incredibly subdued. I thought this was a clever design decision limited to the book covers (PHB - red-brown, DMG - purple, MM - navy blue), but apparently lifeless and matte is the order of the day for D&D5.

Disappointing and not very inspiring, but hardly a deal-breaker. Just a missed opportunity!

Remove ads