D&D 5E Lots Of Art (and some Warlock stuff)

tuxgeo

Adventurer
< snip > . . . this selection doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. Most of it is technically sound, but it is so /flat/. Where are the glistening scales, the shining fur, the glint of chainmail? Where's the /light/? The color? The detail and sharpness? This is all so muddy!

. . .
- That elven city looks like Ralph McQuarrie just /lifted/ it straight out of one of John Howe's notebooks; it's evocative, but it's not a finished piece of artwork. It's quality halfway point to a movie set or matte painting. Contrast these locations.

That elven city is more reminiscent of Alan Lee's notebooks, since he's the one who concepted Rivendell for Peter Jackson's The Fellowship of the Ring.
Nevertheless, that elven city is where the light is: the contrast between the light and dark sides of the buildings and pillars is obvious, and the sunbeams filtering down through the forest canopy provide more light. There's also light in the upper left, where the city extends back up into the valley on that side.

Of course, the light isn't brilliant by any means; but tall forests typically have shade, and often mists.

- If the elven wizardess is what we have to look forward to in terms of female art, I'll take my chainmail bikinis back, thanks. Easily in the running for the ugliest piece of D&D art ever, and I'm not talking about her looks. What is with that /pose/? If she sticks her ass out any farther it's going to /come off/! Oh, but /thank the gods/ her cleavage isn't showing, that would be /gauche/. What's she doing, anyway, casting Headlong Fall into the Orchestra Pit? Contrast Tika Waylan, who might be showing a little thigh but at least I believe she remains standing following the snapshot.

Both of those pieces are terrible in their own special way. The high elf wizard is terrible in the pose (fall into the orchestra pit indeed!), and I feel like the perspective is ultra-wonky, and the whole thing just doesn't work.

Whereas Tika is boring-as-hell static pose, with a very crap face (what is she even supposed to be emoting, blankness? Jeez), and bog-standard posture (hilariously matching with a description of someone trying - and failing - to look menacing from Gene Wolfe's The Citadel of the Autarch), plus bonus sexism. As a whole the piece makes them look like they're a third-rate (I mean seriously third-rate!) hair metal band trying to look cool for their self-published vanity album cover.

I don't know why you're trying a lack of cleavage to the first piece's failure, though. It seems like that has zero to do with anything, and really begs the question as to why you're even saying it.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
DMZ2112 said:
What is with that /pose/?

Yeah, she looks pretty uncomfortable.

Actually, the art style reminds me a little of the style present in the cover. Wonder if it's the same guy. Wonder if it's an artist-specific thing with broken backs on flying mages? *shrug*

Aside from the pose, though, I like the piece. Good color. All elegant clothes and stuff. Nice.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
That elven city is more reminiscent of Alan Lee's notebooks, since he's the one who concepted Rivendell for Peter Jackson's The Fellowship of the Ring.

I bow to others' greater understanding of the division of labor in that respect -- I enjoy the art of both artists, I just think there's more than one way to paint an elven city.

Of course, the light isn't brilliant by any means; but tall forests typically have shade, and often mists.

You're not wrong, but it's not doing anything for me. Dusty sunbeams filtering through canopies and lazily diffracting off non-reflective unfinished wood isn't what I call dynamic lighting. Show me some metal filigree. Show me some crystal clear water. Show me some richly stained mahogany, even.

Remove ads