D&D 5E [+] Design & Development: Magic Item Pricing

CapnZapp

Legend
Sorry [MENTION=6932123]Kinematics[/MENTION] but I don't fully grasp your argument that prices should correspond to "fraction of time" spent on a tier.

If it is at all relevant, I can say that my point with handing out wealth to a character is strictly gameplay related. The goal is still getting the character kitted out with cool items, only with the express purpose of having items of her own choosing.

This means I'm not concerned with alternative uses for that gold, such as "since that sword only represents a 20% damage increase, I can just as well donate the money to charity".

I mean, sure go ahead, the game won't break even if you throw all your gold away. But I'm not gonna worry that prices aren't competitive with other things you can do with your gold. I'm simply assuming that at the end of the day you go down dungeons in order to loot gold, which you then have fun spending on bigger swords so you can go down deeper dungeons. Even if your campaign is more complex and intricate than this phrasing might suggest.

Please disregard if that had nothing to do with what you were trying to say :)

Sorry [MENTION=6932123]Kinematics[/MENTION] but I don't fully grasp your argument that prices should correspond to "fraction of time" spent on a tier.

If it is at all relevant, I can say that my point with handing out wealth to a character is strictly gameplay related. The goal is still getting the character kitted out with cool items, only with the express purpose of having items of her own choosing.

This means I'm not concerned with alternative uses for that gold, such as "since that sword only represents a 20% damage increase, I can just as well donate the money to charity".

I mean, sure go ahead, the game won't break even if you throw all your gold away. But I'm not gonna worry that prices aren't competitive with other things you can do with your gold. I'm simply assuming that at the end of the day you go down dungeons in order to loot gold, which you then have fun spending on bigger swords so you can go down deeper dungeons. Even if your campaign is more complex and intricate than this phrasing might suggest.

Please disregard if that had nothing to do with what you were trying to say :)

First, it was an alternative approach to your idea of defining prices based on a fraction of a level's wealth, for the level that the item is 'intended' for. It's based on the idea that a given magical item is generally intended for an entire tier of play. You're not getting a +1 sword for only level 6, and then tossing it. You'll keep it all the way til you have an opportunity for a +2 (vaguely expected around level 11).

Thus the idea is, what percentage of the time that you'll be using it is appropriate to gauge how much effort should be expected in order to acquire it in the first place? How much impact will it have on your gameplay? How much else are you willing to sacrifice in order to acquire it?

Second, every item you put up for sale is competing with all other items for sale, so it's not correct to say that prices are non-competitive. However even if you're not considering the issue of non-combat needs, there are existing measures that can be used to help get an idea of how much some things should be worth.

CapnZapp

Legend
First, it was an alternative approach to your idea of defining prices based on a fraction of a level's wealth, for the level that the item is 'intended' for. It's based on the idea that a given magical item is generally intended for an entire tier of play. You're not getting a +1 sword for only level 6, and then tossing it. You'll keep it all the way til you have an opportunity for a +2 (vaguely expected around level 11).
I think you're already on board this, but just to be sure: maybe you get your +1 sword at level 6 and then never again upgrade it?

Thus the idea is, what percentage of the time that you'll be using it is appropriate to gauge how much effort should be expected in order to acquire it in the first place? How much impact will it have on your gameplay? How much else are you willing to sacrifice in order to acquire it?
I'm really struggling here. Maybe an example would make it easy for even idiots like me to understand?

At this stage I don't understand why you would want to complicate things. Maybe when you first encountered the price-as-level idea you thought it too was complicated and thus you spontanously came up with alternatives?

Let me assure you I think level-as-price is just as straightforward and easy as fixed gold prices - to me there is no complexity issue to solve.

I am not saying this to discourage you from explaining. I am saying this to let you calibrate your expectations: I really don't need an alternative to simple gold prices (expressed as curve-independent levels), so if that's what this is about the maybe you can start a new thread to discuss that?

Of course your idea may be so much bigger than that! :)

Second, every item you put up for sale is competing with all other items for sale, so it's not correct to say that prices are non-competitive. However even if you're not considering the issue of non-combat needs, there are existing measures that can be used to help get an idea of how much some things should be worth.
Of course Dungeon Masters aren't entirely oblivious to the general impact of the characters' wealth.

But from a playability standpoint our analysis does not really need to get any deeper than the 1500 gp plate mail.

Why? Because the DMs that are worried a couple of mid-levels will destroy the town economy will choose a suitably low wealth curve; while DMs that don't care about that might go for the Pathfinder curve.

We can't and don't need to worry about it. All we need to worry about is price relative to other item prices. (This is not a law of nature; it's a voluntary restriction to keep this project from ballooning way out of control)

Pricing items is not limited to magic items, btw - the PHB mostly contains mundane items, and I intend to keep those prices unchanged. It is not limited to combat items either, though to be honest, that will be my paramount focus, since it is there balance matters the most.

At least for now. We do not even have a first draft yet.

But for the purposes of this project, certain things will simply have to be considered out of scope: calculating the price of magic weapons based on the price and availability of iron ore, weaponsmiths, spellcasters or artificers; the supply and demand of NPC adventurers, proximity to known monster hoards or any such "realistic" factor.

This may sound harsh but better to be upfront right away than to disappoint later.

When it comes to getting an idea of what certain things should be worth, the question on my mind is "what do we want our adventurer to be able to afford?"

The questions I have when stocking a magic shoppe include "when - at what level - do we want to introduce this specific magic item? when should it be a premium item and when should it become common-place?" and "what are good fun choices to put to our players? Which items should they have to decide between?".

(I've been encouraged to post about this in another thread than the "determining wealth" thread, to not dilute the focus of that thread, so here it is)

So, over in this thread, [MENTION=6932123]Kinematics[/MENTION] finds out that 5E's wealth curve is actually pretty close to Pathfinder's wealth per level. This of course led to the question of whether you just couldn't use the Pathfinder magic item prices without too much trouble?

In that thread, I suggested that to do that, you would have to make certain adjustments to how PF "plus" items are priced, besides what have alreday been disussed here regarding scrolls, wands, potions etc.

My suggestion was one should halve the bonus of all PF items, double the plusses cost for "virtual plusses" (flaming, holy, fortification, etc.) disallow stacking (except ring of pro. perhaps), disallow +shields, double cost of armor, and you get within the +3's of 5E rather than the +5 of PF. So a +4 holy flaming longsword is equivalent to a +7 weapon in PF and cost 98,000 gp. In 5E it will be a +2 holy flaming longsword, be equivalent to a +10 weapon and cost 200,000 gp.

Consider replacing the bonded accuracy breaking Giant Belts from 5E with "half-plus" PF items (+6 PF = +3 5E).

Doesn't solve the issue of +1 dagger vs. +1 greatsword or +1 leather vs. +1 plate, but it's a place to start.

Thoughts?

CapnZapp

Legend
Thoughts?
I think using Pathfinder or 3.5E as a starting point is perfectly fine. I assume that is what Sane Magic Prices have done.

It is also not what I intend to do :) After all, Sane already exists, so if "items like in d20" is your thing, you don't really need a completely new 5E-specific paradigm as the one I'm trying to create here.

Cheers

So, over in this thread, [MENTION=6932123]Kinematics[/MENTION] finds out that 5E's wealth curve is actually pretty close to Pathfinder's wealth per level. This of course led to the question of whether you just couldn't use the Pathfinder magic item prices without too much trouble?

Do note that while there's similarities, the average DMG results do have notable differences from Pathfinder, depending on which version you use.

For the latest preferred version, the typical 5E curve matches Pathfinder primarily only from level 17 up. It's designed to reach the same endpoint by 20th level, but in previous levels (7 through 16), Pathfinder has roughly twice the wealth per level of the 5E curve. As this largely affects tier 3, the implication is the devs wanting to keep tier 3 closer to tier 2 scaling, rather than continue to accelerate.

In the prior initial version I worked out, 5E and Pathfinder came out very close to the same all the way to level 16, and then 5E accelerated well beyond the Pathfinder rate for tier 4. While this does make for a nice match with Pathfinder through most of the game, I don't see any reason for the sudden acceleration to extreme levels for tier 4, so I don't trust it to be an accurate representation of the developers' intentions.

Regardless, even working at half wealth for all those middle levels, using Pathfinder pricing (or a facsimile thereof) would just mean that magic items are relatively more expensive to the player, and not an actual problem with the approach.

Pardon the long post. It meanders a bit.

Of course Dungeon Masters aren't entirely oblivious to the general impact of the characters' wealth.

But from a playability standpoint our analysis does not really need to get any deeper than the 1500 gp plate mail.

Why? Because the DMs that are worried a couple of mid-levels will destroy the town economy will choose a suitably low wealth curve; while DMs that don't care about that might go for the Pathfinder curve.

We can't and don't need to worry about it. All we need to worry about is price relative to other item prices. (This is not a law of nature; it's a voluntary restriction to keep this project from ballooning way out of control)
I should clarify: I wasn't talking about general economic pressures within the city/country/whatever, I was talking about competition with every other possible item a player might want to spend her money on, given her current wealth.

If a magic item is 1/3 of her current wealth, she can have 3 magic items, and then be broke. If there's a magic item she wants that costs 1/2 her wealth, it has to compete with the other possible things she might spend her money on.

Prices are competitive because every possible purchase means not buying something else.

I think you're already on board this, but just to be sure: maybe you get your +1 sword at level 6 and then never again upgrade it?

I'm really struggling here. Maybe an example would make it easy for even idiots like me to understand?

At this stage I don't understand why you would want to complicate things. Maybe when you first encountered the price-as-level idea you thought it too was complicated and thus you spontanously came up with alternatives?

Let me assure you I think level-as-price is just as straightforward and easy as fixed gold prices - to me there is no complexity issue to solve.

I am not saying this to discourage you from explaining. I am saying this to let you calibrate your expectations: I really don't need an alternative to simple gold prices (expressed as curve-independent levels), so if that's what this is about the maybe you can start a new thread to discuss that?

Of course your idea may be so much bigger than that! :)

There's various issues that come from different directions.

First, saying that something costs 1/3 of a given level (say, 8) is isometric to saying it's worth some fraction of the effort available from the tier. 1/3 of typical level 8 would be 4800 gp, which is about the same as 25% of tier 2. You're not actually gaining anything number-wise by choosing one method or the other, which means other considerations have much larger weight in choosing the methodology to use.

Second, it's much harder to identify which exact level an item 'should' belong at, than to identify which gaming tier you expect it to come into play at. A +1 sword is tier 2; I don't think there's any real argument about that. However, is it a level 5? Level 6? Level 7? Level 8?

Third, using the fraction of a tier method gives you a better idea of how far into the tier the player must be before they can afford the item, and also how much of the totality of what they can afford during that tier you're using up. When you say 1/3 of level 8, you really have no such gauge. How much more would the character be able to afford at level 9 if he spends all his money at level 8? Is it enough to pay for a level 9 item?

Which actually leads to another perception problem. A player might think that a level 9 item is something that could be afforded based on what he expects to earn at level 9, even if he was broke at the end of level 8. This is not the case, as a level 9 item would cost about 6000 gp, while players are only gaining 3400 gp per level during this range. Essentially, by defining a level for the item, you're defining expectations about when it's reasonable to acquire, even though that's not really the case.

Further, a level 8 or 9 item could be afforded at level 6. That's relatively easy to identify when you use 25% of the tier as the cost basis, but not so easy when it's some fraction of level 8.

Basically, you're setting expectations and perceptions that do not correspond to the actual design intent. This is the largest aspect of what I feel is problematic with using this approach. Not that the levels might not be useful to have (for example, a magic item that mimics a level 4 spell probably should only really come available after level 7).

When it comes to getting an idea of what certain things should be worth, the question on my mind is "what do we want our adventurer to be able to afford?"

The questions I have when stocking a magic shoppe include "when - at what level - do we want to introduce this specific magic item? when should it be a premium item and when should it become common-place?" and "what are good fun choices to put to our players? Which items should they have to decide between?".

While I definitely agree with the intent, and can see, from this perspective, where there's value in setting a 'level' for an item, I think it should be largely independent of the cost of an item. You're setting availability and cost using the same metric, when those are two very different things.

Regardless of what the +1 sword costs, whether you drop it in at 5th level, or hold out til 9th level, the cost likely shouldn't change. But maybe you're pricing when an item 'typically' shows up. Maybe a +1 sword, on average, shows up at 7th level. The 1/3 estimate would price it at about 3500 gp. That's actually possible to afford at 5th level, though you'd be broke after buying it. It also roughly matches the 20% fraction of a tier cost, which is fairly close to the expected value of the sword's benefits. It's also about the estimated price of a 1d12 weapon from my first exploration of the pricing, though that's likely just coincidence.

So..... It actually fits pretty well, from all metrics, but: Why level 7?

And now I think I can explain it in a way that makes sense: It's the level by which you could comfortably afford it, even with price pressures from other needed items. It's not the level it's 'appropriate' to, or the level that's 'required' for it (though some items might use that, such as a broom of flying needing to be at least level 5, to correspond to the spell Fly). But it's the level that the item will almost certainly be acquired by, if the player has any interest in it.

Overall, I think the two methods complement each other. Though I've argued in favor of the tier-fraction method, it seems it would be best to approach the pricing from both ends, rather than just one.

The fraction of a tier method allows better 'objective' measures of value, tier-setting, and an idea of how much of a player's total wealth is being taken up by acquiring this item. The level fraction method allows you to set expectations of when a player is likely to acquire an item, allowing easier adjustments of when you would make the item available in shops.

So you might proceed as: A +1 weapon is worth about 20% of a tier, and should come online in tier 2. That puts the price point at an "expected level" of 7.

Aside: This would be for a +1 weapon that is still mundane (ie: masterwork, not magic), in my view. A +1 magic weapon would likely be 25%, which would be 4500 gp, which gives it an "expected level" of 8, though it's still possible to afford it by level 6.

I got a question.
some items are valuable at any level.
Ex. Weapon of warning, bag of holding.
Should we price them as level 20 items, since level 20 character would gladly pay for them?

CapnZapp

Legend
So that would be my approach: What fraction of this tier's time is that item worth?
Now I understand what you mean. I think. :blush: Going forward, you're welcome to reinterpret my examples using your logic, and we can have a look at what the practical implications would be.

Note: This is separate from the question of what the minimum level to acquire an item should be. If you don't want the players having a greatsword+1 til level 9, just don't have them available in the shops. If you want sovereign glue to cost 100 gp, but not be available to players below level 17, it's likewise a perfectly reasonable combination.
Absolutely. But this does not replace the main impetus for this thread: what should things cost to make it feel like 5E?

This is especially relevant for "bounded accuracy breaking" items such as magic armor. We still need to price these items. Then and only then comes the second step, where the DM might still decide to not have his shoppes stock them... or only stock them at ten times the price.

Again... overpricing things is not a problem. At worst, it works much like not featuring the item at all. It is to guard against accidental underpricing this thread exists. For example: I found out that I regret simply using Sane prices for scrolls - they cost far too little too give anything else than an unwanted "d20 in my 5E" feeling.

I got a question.
some items are valuable at any level.
Ex. Weapon of warning, bag of holding.
Should we price them as level 20 items, since level 20 character would gladly pay for them?
The key here isn't to answer yes or no to this question, but to keep asking the question for progressively lower levels!

Should we price them as level 19 items, since level 19 character would gladly pay for them?
Should we price them as level 18 items, since level 18 character would gladly pay for them?
Should we price them as level 17 items, since level 17 character would gladly pay for them?
Should we price them as level 1 items, since level 1 character would gladly pay for them?​

I bet each and every one of you would have stopped me before reaching 1 here! :)

So this is really the same set of problems as for the +1 armor. We need to focus on the lowest appropriate price here. If you then don't want your heroes to have a bag holding until 20th level, you can simply... not have it available for purchase until then (and possibly at a much higher price to boot).

Now I understand what you mean. I think. :blush: Going forward, you're welcome to reinterpret my examples using your logic, and we can have a look at what the practical implications would be.

Absolutely. But this does not replace the main impetus for this thread: what should things cost to make it feel like 5E?

This is especially relevant for "bounded accuracy breaking" items such as magic armor. We still need to price these items. Then and only then comes the second step, where the DM might still decide to not have his shoppes stock them... or only stock them at ten times the price.

Again... overpricing things is not a problem. At worst, it works much like not featuring the item at all. It is to guard against accidental underpricing this thread exists. For example: I found out that I regret simply using Sane prices for scrolls - they cost far too little too give anything else than an unwanted "d20 in my 5E" feeling.

The key here isn't to answer yes or no to this question, but to keep asking the question for progressively lower levels!
Should we price them as level 19 items, since level 19 character would gladly pay for them?
Should we price them as level 18 items, since level 18 character would gladly pay for them?
Should we price them as level 17 items, since level 17 character would gladly pay for them?
Should we price them as level 1 items, since level 1 character would gladly pay for them?​

I bet each and every one of you would have stopped me before reaching 1 here! :)

So this is really the same set of problems as for the +1 armor. We need to focus on the lowest appropriate price here. If you then don't want your heroes to have a bag holding until 20th level, you can simply... not have it available for purchase until then (and possibly at a much higher price to boot).

I didn’t want to bug your work.
But there is what I think could help anybody.

For all items we can use

A craft level. Level at which has the item can be crafted or hand pick for starting equipement. Afterward this level is used to create a base price for the item.
A loot level. Level at which the item can be found and use without breaking the game.
A market value. Rating from very poor to very high. Used to adjust items price in shop, or other trading process.

These 3 informations are gold free and can be used in various settings.

Last edited:

Remove ads