D&D 5E 5e tumbling through opponent squares?

5ekyu

Hero
The guidelines for assigning disadvantage would seem to allow applying disadvantage on acrobatics checks for not being able to see what you are trying to avoid as reasonable.

It has made the event more difficult.

S'mon

Legend
I'd allow it as an action (or Rogue bonus cunning action) - opposed Acrobatics vs target Athletics. If succeed can use Move to move through opponent space.

Of course opponent still gets opportunity attack if you break contact, unless you also use a Disengage action, which is only going to be possible for a Rogue or action-surging Fighter.

5ekyu

Hero
I'd allow it as an action (or Rogue bonus cunning action) - opposed Acrobatics vs target Athletics. If succeed can use Move to move through opponent space.

Of course opponent still gets opportunity attack if you break contact, unless you also use a Disengage action, which is only going to be possible for a Rogue or action-surging Fighter.
OA require sight of target, right?

Li Shenron

Legend

I think [MENTION=27385]aco175[/MENTION] got it right! The DMG Tumble combat action option already allows this (except that it's Acrobatics vs Acrobatics), and it can be done as a Bonus Action, so if you take Disengage as your Action, you don't need to worry about the OA. There is no "timing" specified for Tumble, so a good tactic for tumbling past an opponent would be:

1- use part of your move to approach the opponent
2- use your bonus action to Tumble

...did you win the Acrobatics contest?

YES >
3- use your action to Disengage
4- use the rest of your move to get away on the other side

NO >
3- you can still use your action for something else...

S'mon

Legend
I think [MENTION=27385]aco175[/MENTION] got it right! The DMG Tumble combat action option already allows this (except that it's Acrobatics vs Acrobatics), and it can be done as a Bonus Action, so if you take Disengage as your Action, you don't need to worry about the OA. There is no "timing" specified for Tumble, so a good tactic for tumbling past an opponent would be:

1- use part of your move to approach the opponent
2- use your bonus action to Tumble

...did you win the Acrobatics contest?

YES >
3- use your action to Disengage
4- use the rest of your move to get away on the other side

NO >
3- you can still use your action for something else...

DMG options, right? It's not a srandard rule any more than advtg flanking?

Li Shenron

Legend
DMG options, right? It's not a srandard rule any more than advtg flanking?

No of course it's not mandatory... some gaming groups don't even have the DMG. Don't use it if you want this situation to still provoke OA (I'm not sure if your previous remark about provoking OA was meant as "fortunately" or "unfortunately").

S'mon

Legend
No of course it's not mandatory... some gaming groups don't even have the DMG. Don't use it if you want this situation to still provoke OA (I'm not sure if your previous remark about provoking OA was meant as "fortunately" or "unfortunately").

Unfortunately for the tumbler!

Remove ads