Pen and Paper D&D over the PC?

Nalfien

First Post
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I wanted to spill a thought here and get some feedback.

I enjoy playing D&D on the few Saturdays that my buddies can actually get together. I also enjoy roleplaying on forums. The forums are nice because you can post about twice a day in a campaign and everything is so well thought out. I've played Neverwinter Nights, Everquest and a handful of other online games that try to bring fantasy to those who can't get together and play with pen and paper. The fact we all know is that no matter how its emulated over a computer, D&D just isn't D&D unless it's done with a live DM sitting in front of a few players with some sourcebooks, character sheets and some visual aids.

Nothing will ever be as unique as live pen and paper roleplaying.

However, as a video game guy I am most interested in fantasy games. It’s the plots, the building of a character over time, the fact that the choices you make can't be undone in that story setting; these are the things that hook me in video games. Unfortunately, I can't play pen and paper as much as I can play video games. There are not enough people with the same schedules, interests, and close proximities for D&D to really fit in my life. Also, I like being home with my wife and kid as much as possible. Here's another point I want to make: meeting people in person to play D&D can lead to uncomfortable situations. Meeting people on the internet (like all of you) is easy and carries less social and physical risks.

These are reasons games like Neverwinter Nights and MUDs are so popular. They resemble the D&D experience, but not the pen and paper feel. It seems to me the downfall of these programs are in the way they limit the DM from conveying the setting and game system with features of interfaces and automatic rolls behind the scenes. Sure, it’s more fast pace, but a turn based system is what hallmarks pen and paper. You also don't get the freedom of DM interaction and spontaneous ability to change or add whatever they want.

Well, here is an idea that I hope evolves into some way that we can get a session of Pen and Paper D&D done over the computer. A PC on the internet is a powerful communication tool. Executive business men get together in online meetings while countries away all the time. Surely by now we can take advantage of this technology to make a long distance form of D&D. Now as I stated above: Nothing will ever be as unique as live pen and paper roleplaying. I stick to that. Over the net, a DM could do his dice rolls, but the players will probably miss out on doing theirs with actual dice. (I guess if you get some web cams and point them at your rolling space... or if you get some dice with sensors on them on some kinda tablet... LOL ) For those who use miniatures, you can't get that painted figure of your hero on a battle mat online. Most importantly, you just really aren't right in front of each other. So, Pen and Paper will always outshine Mouse and Monitor (MnM lol, if that catches on remember ME!) ((wait... that’s a candy...))

Anyways, check this out. How about using Microsoft's Netmeeting program to play over the PC? If you have Windows XP it’s already available to you for free. Just go to Start > Run > type in the word: conf :in that box and it will install. This program allows you to share applications just as if someone could see your monitor. You can even give them control (maybe to roll dice or move a character piece in a program.) If you have a microphone you can also voice chat with this program. It has a Microsoft Paint whiteboard for sketching if you need it, but whiteboard is really primitive. Instead, you could just share some mapping software that allows you to sketch in it. Oh, and it has a text chat too.

If you aren't familiar with Dundjinni check it out. http://www.dundjinni.com/default.asp It’s a map making software that uses a grid and tile system. A map could be loaded there and characters moved where ever. If a DM has a 2nd monitor on their computer, you could share one with Dundjinni up as a virtual battle mat, and have some behind the scenes applications and notes on the other monitor where the players can't see.

So, tell me if this idea could hold any water, or is it just another failed shot at getting as close to PnP D&D as we can.

Imagine a session over the PC. A forum posting lets you know what IP address to join and when to join it for a Netmeeting. You all join and the DM helps create everyone’s character on the first night. The DM uses ETools to keep track of your characters and sends you a character sheet in acrobat format or if you all bought ETools the actual file. The next session, the DM has everyone connect back with Netmeeting. The DM declares the beginning of the campaign and reads over his mic the introductions of how your characters meet up. The players can read some of their backgrounds or roleplay a little (in text or mic... or both. I'm kinda shy so I'd probably just type.) Then the DM reads you all into the starting location and guides your characters to the nearest town. While there you all visit supply shops and gear up while getting hints on the main plot where the DM can get you to the first adventure. When all is going well with the chat session (DM speaking and pasting in chat while players type) the first dungeon is introduced. The DM shares the Dundjinni map he has prepared (There has GOT to be a way to fog over areas the players can't see yet) and places your character icons on the appropriate squares. Then encounters happen and it resembles what the 3.5ed combat section examples look like in the player’s handbook. People move here or there and declare their actions while the DM rolls real dice and lets the players know the outcomes. He could share the Wizards of the Coast dice roller I suppose, but I'd like a better solution for when players roll. Anyways, at the end of the session, the DM wraps up the adventure for the night and everyone logs off as quickly as they logged on. Message board or email communication for DM questions and player discussion could happen between sessions and they could improve upon what they have started.

Lame or interesting?

Thanks,

Mike

kenobi65

First Post
No, it's not lame...but you're not the first to think of this, either. :)

There's a lot of folks who play online already. Programs like OpenRPG strive to replicate the tabletop RPG experience online, and even basic chat rooms like AOL Instant Messenger can be used. OpenRPG and AIM have built-in die-roller functions, too.

Heck, I've probably played 100+ RPGA modules via AIM in the past few years.

Wolfspirit

First Post
Not lame, online D&D can be really fun. There are some downsides compared to PnP (a HUGE player turnover, various technical difficulties), but it can be a great way to RP.

Netmeeting it evil, however. There are several different ways to pull off a game (IRC, AIM chats, etc), but the map portion probably is the most difficult to deal with.

(hope that was coherent ;))

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
Let me recommend to you Fantasy Grounds: Http://www.fantasygrounds.com

It does a superb job of recreating the in-person feel over the computer. Dice that roll, sheets on the tables, maps that everyone can see and tokens that they can move around. All you're missing is someone to split the pizza cost.

Very cool. Check it out.

the Jester

Legend
Hey, welcome to the boards!

Man, that fantasy grounds program looks very, very cool. And very much like what you're looking for.

Nalfien

First Post
WOW! That Fantasy Grounds program was EXACTLY what I had in mind! Thanks for pointing me to it. :cool:

Man, I'm gonna tell all my buddies about this software.

punkorange

First Post
rushlight said:
Let me recommend to you Fantasy Grounds: Http://www.fantasygrounds.com

It does a superb job of recreating the in-person feel over the computer. Dice that roll, sheets on the tables, maps that everyone can see and tokens that they can move around. All you're missing is someone to split the pizza cost.

Very cool. Check it out.

Is this software that good? Ive looked at it and it looks impressive, but my only problem with openrpg is that its hard for me to find a game, not looked that hard but... I would put out the price for fantasygrounds if I knew I wouldn't have an issue finding a group.

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
punkorange said:
Is this software that good? Ive looked at it and it looks impressive, but my only problem with openrpg is that its hard for me to find a game, not looked that hard but... I would put out the price for fantasygrounds if I knew I wouldn't have an issue finding a group.

Well, I am playing with some friends so that wasn't an issue for us. However, on their forums you could probably scare up a game - and then get the software once you had a group. Or you might try the fourms here - but I dunno how many EN Worlders have FG.

Or you could start your own game! There's probably more players than GMs at the moment.

punkorange

First Post
Im hoping to find a good game online with a good DM to get away from the DM screen for a while. I'm the only one who DM's in my group (one of us is going to start a babylon 5 game soon though), Sometimes I just wanna play, ya know

Remove ads