• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I don't know. While I hope we provide ample help to these people in need. I am concerned that their reception in the US will be a rough one. I feel like we would be inviting them to a world of hate. hate based on fear mongering and misconceptions. Some of it is potentially founded on legitimate reasons, not enough to damn them or warrant the type of responses fellow countrymen here have issued.

We fought for this country, and part of what made America what it is, is the ideal that this land is a refuge for those fleeing oppression. If we stray from that because of fear? We won't be what we claim to be any longer.

I would be glad to do my part to help other fellow humans, who just want to live and let live.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Texas isn't the only state that doesn't want any Syrian refugees, either.
What we don't want is a mass of draft-dodging-age males who think the rest of the world owes them membership in the Luxury Class.

If some TRUE refugees (women, children, old folks, persecuted minorities) were to show up, we'd find a way to make room & board for them.

What we don't want is a mass of draft-dodging-age males who think the rest of the world owes them membership in the Luxury Class.

If some TRUE refugees (women, children, old folks, persecuted minorities) were to show up, we'd find a way to make room & board for them.
TRUE refugees? That's funny. Everyone knows there is no such thing as a TRUE Syrian refugee. The democrats are just trying to import some more illegal voters to help destroy this country and persecute TRUE-patriotic-Christian conservatives.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If they can't be vetted, they shouldn't come. I mean the government just let a terrorist kill 14 people in San Bernardino because Obama was unwilling to let the authorities check internet media. A simple Facebook check would have caught Tashfeen Malik before she entered the country and stuck Sayed on the FBI radar. If they aren't even going to check Facebook, they can't be vetting any of these people properly.

If they can't be vetted, they shouldn't come.
Would you apply that to everyone?
I mean the government just let a terrorist kill 14 people in San Bernardino because Obama was unwilling to let the authorities check internet media.
That evil jerk. I'm pretty sure he is also responsible for cancer.

A simple Facebook check would have caught Tashfeen Malik before she entered the country and stuck Sayed on the FBI radar. If they aren't even going to check Facebook, they can't be vetting any of these people properly.
Not really. Those were private messages sent to a small group. That is, unless you are referring to the messages she posted during the shooting. In that case I'm going to blame the private sector for not having developed a time machine they could have sold to the government to stop Tashfeen Malik. Damn that lazy private sector.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Would you apply that to everyone?

Absolutely. It doesn't matter where you are from. If you can't be properly vetted, you should not be allowed into this country as an immigrant or refugee.

Not really. Those were private messages sent to a small group.

Yes really. They could have looked at the private posts. There is no expectation of privacy for someone coming into this country, especially if you are from a place that is incredibly pro-terrorism.

Absolutely. It doesn't matter where you are from. If you can't be properly vetted, you should not be allowed into this country as an immigrant or refugee.
How about tourist?

Yes really. They could have looked at the private posts.
In this particular case, it may have made a difference. Of course, you'd have to get Facebook to agree to let the government do it. That would probably lead to the government getting to do the same to people here in the U.S., including citizens. I'm not sure you'd like that idea.
In any case, as I was saying, it may have helped in this particular case, but doing so for every single person coming into the U.S. would result in a big price tag.

There is no expectation of privacy for someone coming into this country, especially if you are from a place that is incredibly pro-terrorism.
Well that's just incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads