• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

was

Adventurer
What I get from you moving the goal post is that you agree that the resources are there and aren't being taxed.

..I am expressing a second problem that exacerbates the situation. First, not enough is taxed. Second, what is taxed doesn't make it to those in need.

was

Adventurer
Adding another 100,000 people isn't just the right thing to do; it's a necessity. Add another million. Two million. Demographically speaking, immigrants tend to work harder than domestic workers. They take jobs that domestic workers no longer will. Simply put, they contribute. They build the economy both by working to improve it and spending to support it. Make those new immigrants refugees and they have even more reason to be grateful for the chance, while similarly minimizing the chance that they might be a danger to their new home.

.. I agree that immigrants do work hard and add value to an economy, WHEN they have employment. Speaking only from experiences in my area of the U.S., most refugees have had problems securing steady employment. There's a teacher down the hall from me who immigrated from Iraq. She teaches eighth-grade Algebra. She's continually telling me about refugees from her community who are unable to find work.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
...Adding another 100,000 people to an already struggling economy makes little sense to me.

Well, note that in a population of 320 million, 100,000 comes up to be an addition of 0.03%. That's *three one-hudredths of one percent*. The economy, as a whole, won't notice their presence. We are creating something like 100,000 jobs each month at the moment.

Last edited:

was

Adventurer
Well, note that in a population of 320 million, 100,000 comes up to be an addition of 0.03%. That's *three one-hudredths of one percent*. The economy, as a whole, won't notice their presence.

...We're arguing macro vs. microeconomics here. If they are resettled in a large urban area, with a large population and a lot of resources, than they are unlikely to make an impact on the area. If they are relocated to a smaller population area, with fewer people, job opportunities and resources, than their addition becomes a very noticeable drain on the local economy.

...The argument is kind of moot though since the OP was about Dallas. Dallas should be big enough to take a handful of refugee families, not just these six, without risking economic collapse :)

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I doubt you, or one of these mostly republican governors, would take the time to determine who is middle class or skilled. The argument these governors are using is that some terrorist is going to sneak in, so all Syrians must be stopped from coming in. They're assuming that all Syrians are potentially terrorist. It would be the same regarding the skill level and socioeconomic status. They'd just assume all immigrants are poor and unskilled.

The governors have a much better chance of determining who is skilled than Obama has of properly vetting them. Still, the chances of one being a terrorist, while not 0, are still slim.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, note that in a population of 320 million, 100,000 comes up to be an addition of 0.03%. That's *three one-hudredths of one percent*. The economy, as a whole, won't notice their presence. We are creating something like 100,000 jobs each month at the moment.

And 5.5% unemployment. 5.5% of 320 million is 17,600,000. So at 100,000 jobs a month, we will have jobs for these immigrants in, oh, 14.66 years.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
..An exaggeration certainly, though a pointed one drawn from personal experiences and those of colleagues. Obtaining funds from the U.S. government for charitable programs is a nightmare.
I wasn't talking about charities. They shouldn't get a dime from collective moeny. That money can be more useful in programs.

Last edited:

The governors have a much better chance of determining who is skilled than Obama has of properly vetting them.
Nope, that's incorrect. Obama is at least trying to determine if they are a security risk, where as the governors haven't bothered to determine if any of these Syrians are skilled or not. Chance of Obama vetting them properly is greater than zero. Chance of these governors determining who is skilled is zero. Greater than zero is a much better than zero.
Still, the chances of one being a terrorist, while not 0, are still slim.
Exactly. I'm glad you agree that this is just fear mongering by republicans.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
..I am expressing a second problem that exacerbates the situation. First, not enough is taxed. Second, what is taxed doesn't make it to those in need.

Lets start with the first one and then we can deal with the hypotheticals afterwards.

was

Adventurer
I wasn't talking about charities.

...There may be some confusion about the discussion. I see that you are posting from Canada. Let me clarify that I am discussing the U.S. government. I have no experience with the Canadian government and none of my arguments pertain to it. If you thought I was commenting about the Canadian government and was offended, then I apologize.

...I am not talking about just charities, though it's surprising how many 'charities' are currently taking care of people the government let drop through cracks. The fact is that money, from taxes, set aside by the government to help people often never makes it to those who need it.

...I am talking about people, both veterans and civilians, having to hire lawyers because the government won't recognize their disabilities or lost their disability payments.

...I am talking about people hiring lawyers because the multiple agencies working for the government 'lost' their student loan payments.

...I am talking about veteran's hospitals being denied access to congressional funds supposedly set aside to pay physicians and upgrade their facilities.

...I am talking about reservations unable to gain access to their own money through the BIA government red tape to build schools.

...Finally, I am talking about schools struggling to access funds supposedly set aside by the government to fund special programs used for such things such as feeding needy school children.

...The second problem is in no way 'hypothetical' and needs solving first. More money is great, but doesn't do much good if the government cannot get it to those who need it.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads