D&D General ‪What does the word “dire”‬ mean to you?

What does Dire mean?

• Better (bigger, more ferocious), American

Votes: 47 65.3%
  • Better (bigger, more ferocious), British

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Worse (poor, rubbish, inferior), American

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Worse (poor, rubbish, inferior), British

Votes: 12 16.7%

MarkB

Legend
I mean, it’s the same as a lot of things that mean bad, right?

Terrible, horrible, horrific, horrid, dreadful, awful... All things that can mean either “bad” or “scary.”
Exactly. Just like you can have the big, bad wolf, who's terrifying, and a bad actor, who's pathetic.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
It’s not a language definition thing. You’ve just sided hard on option 1. You live in (North) America. It’s expected. :)

If you lived here in the U.K. you’d be used to the “poor quality” usage.

“That TV show was dire.” Means it’s rubbish.

Probably, but I think it's a very colloquial usage. That is to say used in a way that doesn't literally mean what the word means. Nuit blanche is a colloquial French term for a sleepless night, but literally translated it is white night. Just like cool, to describe somethings ephemeric qualities of being good has nothing to do with its thermal properties.

I'm sure if if Winston Churchill ever gave a speech about the dire situation the country was in nobody would take it to mean mundanely bad like a TV show being not very good. I also suspect, as other have suggested, is that dire in the UK being mundanely bad is relatively recent.

In North American usage we tend towards the bad, as in catastrophically bad, usage of dire. That isn't bigger or better, its bigger and more horrible that the normal version version. I'd never describe an improvement on the previous generation of sports car as a Dire Corvette for example (although I want to see that as a D&D monster now that I've thought of it).

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Sure. That's what I'm asking. I'm trying to discern a regional divide in usage. Canada is very much in the "North America" set, it seems! :)

You’re absolutely right that UK youth slang has adapted dire to mean shoddy or poor quality, but it’s not the only meaning in the UK. Perhaps asking “when you hear the word dire what do you think of?” might have been a better phrasing? :)

If I was asked on a test to define “dire” I would not use shoddy, because I woukdn’t expect them to want the slang interpretation.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Sure. But what does it mean to you? It a less common word than "horrible".

I ask because to me it really does mean "poor quality". And it's not just me - the joke has come up in every gaming group I've been in since I was a kid, undermining every 'dire' creature up to and including Game of Thrones. So clearly there's a common usage which struck us as comedic, but you not so. I don't think you can reason that way!
Who’s trying to reason anything away? I’m just answering the question. Dire means the same thing to me that horrible does, and that meaning is dependent on context. If someone says “that show was dire,” it means it was bad. If someone says “this election will have dire consequences,” it means the outcome is of great significance. If someone says “you’re being attacked by a dire wolf,” it means one of these things: Dire wolf - Wikipedia

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Canadian.

Cannot vote, as you made it single-choice and there's two correct options depending how the word is being used:

Better (bigger, more ferocious) - when used as in dire wolf, dire badger, etc.
Worse (or 'very serious') - when used as in dire straits (not the band!), dire problems, etc.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
To me, dire means "dreadful." A dire wolf is a dreadful wolf...one that is bigger, tougher, and more ferocious than your garden-variety wolf. So I voted "better," and I speak American English.

(Well, mostly. I've picked up a bit of British pronunciations and spellings from my wife.)
This, a dire situation is one were there is imminent threat of things going badly, when things are seriously dire then they are taking a turn to the dreaful, a dire wolf is a dreadful, dangerous beast.

In no way is Dire better or even bigger - the coronovirus is a dire threat of microscopic proportions

oh and I live in a Commonwealth nation so more British, although US television and movies has seen a shift in language over the past 40 years or so.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Sure. But what does it mean to you? It a less common word than "horrible".

I ask because to me it really does mean "poor quality". And it's not just me - the joke has come up in every gaming group I've been in since I was a kid, undermining every 'dire' creature up to and including Game of Thrones. So clearly there's a common usage which struck us as comedic, but you not so. I don't think you can reason that way!
Maybe just a running joke among your friends. I've occasionally seen similar, but it was never a particularly prevalent reaction. Most of the time, when the players hear the word "dire" in front of a critter's name, the reaction is "oh crap", not "oh, that's crap".

jgsugden

Legend
I am American and always thought of Dire Wolves as "Extra Deadly Wolves".

Monte Cook introduced the "dire" animals in D&D 3e, according to his blog:

When we were developing 3E, we recognized that we needed animals that could serve as appropriate foes and allies for mid- and high-level characters to help druid and ranger abilities continue to be valuable. It was my idea to create "dire" versions of various animals, based on the dire wolf/wolf dichotomy. (I know, it only makes sense in a D&D sort of way.)
Dire Wlves are (extinct) real wolf types: Dire wolf - Wikipedia.

Although whether the real dire wolf was better or worse than the regular wolf at wolfing is a matter for some debate: after all, the dire wolf went extinct but the regular wolf is still here.

Remove ads