D&D General ‪What does the word “dire”‬ mean to you?

What does Dire mean?

• Better (bigger, more ferocious), American

Votes: 47 65.3%
  • Better (bigger, more ferocious), British

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Worse (poor, rubbish, inferior), American

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Worse (poor, rubbish, inferior), British

Votes: 12 16.7%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For some reason, maybe because I'm from Los Angeles and visited the La Brea Tarpits many times where there are many specimens of fossilized dire wolves, but I've always associated dire wolves with Tolkien's wargs. Does that resonate with anyone?
Well, that’s what they basically are, renamed.

slobster

Hero
For some reason, maybe because I'm from Los Angeles and visited the La Brea Tarpits many times where there are many specimens of fossilized dire wolves, but I've always associated dire wolves with Tolkien's wargs. Does that resonate with anyone?
I'm glad someone said this, because the moment I read the OP my first thought was of that dire wolf skeleton in the Tar Pits that is assembled behind glass in the middle of one of the exhibits. I saw it as a child, and the first time I read the 3E MM I flashed back to that exhibit in that room, and all the huge beavers and pigs and cats that were running around the North American continent back in the times of early human arrival on the continent, and that association has been strong with me ever since!

So yeah for me I voted for the American "bigger, ferociouser", but even stronger for me is the association with the literal dire wolves. Would have loved to see them! (but probably not out on a walk in the woods)

Canadian here.
I voted Better (more ferocious) American version. But frankly, it is entirely contextual. Both meanings are possible. It depends on the word position in the sentence and the context.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I’be made that connection as well, although clearly D&D worgs are meant to be the stand-in for Tolkien wargs.

Harzel

Adventurer
I'd never describe an improvement on the previous generation of sports car as a Dire Corvette for example (although I want to see that as a D&D monster now that I've thought of it).

Well, apparently (I had to look it up) 'corvette' originally meant a small warship. However, if we want it to be a D&D monster, interpreting it as 'small crow' wouldn't be completely out of line. So, a small, really vicious crow. Sure - it appears to be just one medium sized bird, but when it attacks, it transforms into a huge swarm. The Birds. Dire indeed.

GreyLord

Legend
Yeah I always did wonder where the word Warg/Worg came from

Wargs were from mythology. Normally Fenrir, Skoll, and Hati.

Wolves that are unusually large can also serve as mounts in Norse Mythology at times.

I would suppose Tolkien who loved mythology and mixed it in grasped onto this and recreated this idea of Giant Wolf Mounts that were ferocious as intelligent Wolves that allied with Goblins at times.

I’be made that connection as well, although clearly D&D worgs are meant to be the stand-in for Tolkien wargs.

I had the same thought.

At times I wondered why there are both Dire Wolves and Worgs, as at times they seem to be interchangeable in D&D.

Of course, they also have Dire Wolves (as some point out) from North America, one of the extinct species that cohabited the Americas along with the Saber-toothed Tiger. They were extremely large wolves comparatively, so perhaps that's the difference.

‪What does the word “dire”‬ mean to you? (As in “dire badger”)?

The usage of the word "dire" in D&D stems from the inclusion of the real (but extinct) creature, the dire wolf. The taxemic name of the creature is Canis dirus. So neither British or American is correct - the word is Latin, and translates as "fearsome".

Remove ads