• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

0-level spells?

frankthedm

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Nobody mentioned Message yet? For my money it is the single most valuable of the 0 level spells for co-ordinating a group, working with a scout and so on.

Each casting lasts 10mins per level, range is 100ft +10ft/level and targets 1 creature per level, so it is OK at 1st level and just gets better from there on in - the caster acts as the relay station because he can whisper to everyone targetted and they can whisper back to him.

It's great!
Unless the DM has NPCs react to everything PCs say to one another in combat as they should, the spell is not worth it. My players have saved thier lives with it, but sadly many games seem to give free telepathy to PCs.

frankthedm

First Post
Pbartender said:
When I get a chance, I'll dig up the exact reference for you.
3.0 Tome and Blood was the first place where the concept of sneak attacking with spells and touch attacks came up. :\

3.5 has it in complete arcane.

I am against the idea since IMO the damage of sneak attack is well balanced by the fact those who have sneak attatck may not overcome decent AC's.

Another DM in my group simply caps sneak dice = level of spell.

frankthedm said:
Unless the DM has NPCs react to everything PCs say to one another in combat as they should, the spell is not worth it. My players have saved thier lives with it, but sadly many games seem to give free telepathy to PCs.

True. In my games the players use the Telepathic Bond spell on a regular basis, especially during negotiations b/c I do prevent them from OOC banter when it is important. Right now the kender has a near permanent pout from being regularly left out of the telepathic link (the mage isn't high enough level to get everyone).

I also require them to make bluff checks to avoid their mental conversations being noticed due to distraction or facial expressions that have nothing to do with the audible discussion.

Thanee

First Post
gribble said:
It's still quite a whack though, from a 0-level spell!

Why? The spell only did 1d3 (+50%) damage.

The remaining damage came from a 9th-level class ability (plus some minor stuff), not from the spell. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Wardo

First Post
Zen said:
My gnomish wizard/rogue/spellthief has sent many a foe to thier graves using sniper tactics with acid splash and ray of frost. 1d3+2d6 sneak attack damage can ruin a person's whole day--at 3rd level.

Another vote for acid splash or ray of frost. Even without sneak-attack, if you can get it in a wand (375 is pretty cheap), its touch attack is far superior to a cross-bow. When I run a low-level one-shot for new players, I make sure the wizard is always equipped with a wand of one of these two, so s/he can always feel magical.

TheNovaLord

First Post
our party warmage 1 / scout 1 can do quite a lots with PBS/Pr Sh and a 0 level spell

d3+4INT+d6Skir+1PBS is average=10 pts acid or cold or 9 damage against undead with a disrupt.

Even up to having 2nd level spells 0 level have their uses.

Can be inventive with them and if it doesnt work it isnt such a waste

John

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For her first few levels, my Illusionist made her living with Daze at 0th and Colour Spray at 1st. Now she's 10th, though, none get used...particularly now she's Permanenced Detect Magic on herself. :)

Lanefan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads