• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1 Minute Duration Spells

PinkRose

Explorer
Tracking 10 rounds isn't difficult, just fiddly and unnecessary, in my opinion.
"1 Encounter" does the same thing, but we aren't allowed to use "Encounter Powers" as a term in 5e so 1 minute works for me.

Just because WotC isn't using 4e terms in 5e, doesn't mean mine or your table's can't.

I'd prefer they just say "1 encounter"and be done with it. Whether that is 1 minute or 5 makes little difference and can be handwaved -- the majority of combats will be under 10 rounds.

YRUSirius

First Post
After thinking about it, 1 minute duration spells seem like a good compromise between the two factions. 4E players who don't mind 'encounter' lingo can read the 1 minute duration as 'until the encounter ends' and 3E/2E/1E players can track their spell duration if they wish. :lol:

"Man, I always track the duration of my Spiritual Hammer but no encounter ever lasts more than 10 rounds!" :lol:

-YRUSirius

BobTheNob

First Post
Note that 50 round combats in 4e may have been common, I am hoping for 10 round combats in 5e. 1 min or 10 rounds is perfect in this case.

Jeez. If 4e combat took 50 rounds it would take months to resolve one encounter! It was slow enough trying to do the small handful of rounds it actually took, 50 is unimaginable!

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Yeah, spell durations for the last dozen years are pathetically short. Make them all daily or permanent again. I mentioned this over on CM. They way they are doing spells is abysmal. It's as if they can't think of anything regarding the game except 60 second combats strung together.

DDogwood

First Post
If tracking 10 rounds - either counting up from 1 to 10, or down from 10 to 1 - is too much for people I'd hate to see how badly they mangle the tracking of their hp.

It's not "too much". It's one more thing to track, when we are already tracking HP, positioning, initiative, actions, advantage/disadvantage, and any number of situational modifiers. Every additional thing you need to track increases the odds that you will somehow screw up something else.

Worse, it is very hard to justify the value of tracking this. Are most 1-minute spells so powerful that adding an extra round or two to the duration, once in every dozen combats, will be completely unbalancing? Is the game so simplistic that adding one more countdown is the only way to make it interesting? Do one minute durations add verisimilitude because it's impossible to accept magic that doesn't jive with modern timekeeping techniques?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads