• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

10 Characters, 7 Goblins, and a Hill Giant

PeelSeel2

Explorer
I figured it this way.

Giant asleep at top of order, still has condition of unconscious (Thus helpless p.277). Does not wake up on his turn, does not lose conditions.

The 6 of the 10 party members attack variously that round. Although if he takes damage, he still wakes up, conditions are not removed until either the start of the creatures round or the end (p.268-269).

Reading some of the posts, and Re-Looking at CdG outside the game now, I think I did the CDG part wrong. I think they all still made a CdG, because the pre-req's for it still existed, but none could deal the 159HP in one shot to kill it outright.

RAW for 10 1st to 2nd level characters, killing a 13th level Hill Giant would be a good challenge, but I think they could do it. It would not have been a TPK. It might kill 1-2 of them. They all had second winds left, some healing potions, encounter powers, and most healing surges. For fun, we may try the 'what if the giant had not died" scenario and see what happens.

Since this campaign is a fast 'rules learning' campaign, I am leveling them each session regardless of xp. We see character progression, get to use new powers, and experience all levels of play and combat in the new system over 30 weeks then :)

Surgoshan

First Post
I'd have the Giant wake up as soon as he was hit, and then be prone, which grants combat advantage. That would be all the advantage anyone could reasonably expect. If you stab someone and don't kill him, you have to expect him to wake up. He might be surprised, but he's probably not going to just lie there and take it.

Oompa

First Post
Was the giant magically asleep? or just normal sleep?

Magical he wouldn't wake up.
Non-magical he would wake up when the first person smacked him..

The thing is, non-magical sleep isnt unconscious.. otherwise the players wouldnt wake up when they need to at night..

Torchlyte

First Post
I wouldn't have the first hit wake him up until the end of the round; we're talking about six seconds here.

Edit:
...and the RAW never explicitly says when you wake up, so the situation must rely on common sense.

Last edited:

PeelSeel2

Explorer
Torchlyte said:
I wouldn't have the first hit wake him up until the end of the round; we're talking about six seconds here.

Edit:
...and the RAW never explicitly says when you wake up, so the situation must rely on common sense.

That is why I figured technically, he is 'awake' on his next action. At the beginning of his turn he loses the 'condition' of unconscious and helpless, just being prone.

TheGlow

First Post
Also just because you have an initiative order, doesnt mean everyone actually stood by and took turns whacking.

What happened to the old
"On 3! 1...2....3!"*madness ensues*
Or i guess you could say everyone readied their action for when the last person in the initiative order attacks.

shadewest

First Post
Oh yeah,
I think they played it just fine. Six armed guys, one sleeping target. That hill giant perished like Julius Caesar in the Rubicon.

Surgoshan

First Post
Um, Caesar didn't perish in the Rubicon. He perished in the Theater of Pompey. The Rubicon is a river north of Rome. The river marked the boundary between Rome and the province of Gaul, and the law of the time was that the Roman army was not allowed south of the river, thus preventing armed conflicts within Rome proper. Caesar approached the river, apparently saw an apparition that convinced him he was right, and crossed the river, saying "The die is cast" and becoming dictator.

It was in the theater that he was brutally stabbed to death by a group of senators. And he was awake for it.

PeelSeel2

Explorer
Surgoshan said:
Um, Caesar didn't perish in the Rubicon. He perished in the Theater of Pompey. The Rubicon is a river north of Rome. The river marked the boundary between Rome and the province of Gaul, and the law of the time was that the Roman army was not allowed south of the river, thus preventing armed conflicts within Rome proper. Caesar approached the river, apparently saw an apparition that convinced him he was right, and crossed the river, saying "The die is cast" and becoming dictator.

It was in the theater that he was brutally stabbed to death by a group of senators. And he was awake for it.

He died in the senate. The senators stabbed him to death.

Remove ads