• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

10 Characters, 7 Goblins, and a Hill Giant

Malachor

First Post
getting back on topic :)

The problem I can see is, what would happen if there was a PC in the same situation?
6 kobold skirmishers getting the drop on a 13th level PC, and coup de grace in the first round.
I, as a player wouldnt like that, so why would I let the players take on something so high level, without putting them in any danger? I wouldn't.
I think it was a poor decision on your part, but it was your decision.
And coup de grace is a standard action, so only one character could do it, if they could deal that much damage.

shadewest

First Post
Apologies for my historical gaffe. The point is, even if the hill giant did wake up after the first blow, he still gave combat advantage for not having acted. Either way, he was in big trouble.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Nebulous said:
What kind of XP does the group net for 10 1st levels beating a 13th level giant? Even if it was technically done incorrect?
I read somewhere today that XP doubles every 4 levels. So ...

100 XP for a 1st level monster, 200 for 5th, 400 for 9th, 800 for 13th.

Giant was Elite, so that's 1600 XP, divide by 10 = 160 XP apiece. About the same as killing 10 or so 3rd level monsters.

All in all, not too shabby.

PeelSeel2

Explorer
Malachor said:
getting back on topic :)

The problem I can see is, what would happen if there was a PC in the same situation? 6 kobold skirmishers getting the drop on a 13th level PC, and coup de grace in the first round. I, as a player wouldnt like that, so why would I let the players take on something so high level, without putting them in any danger? I wouldn't. I think it was a poor decision on your part, but it was your decision. And coup de grace is a standard action, so only one character could do it, if they could deal that much damage.

It has always been a table rule that what applies to NPC's/Monster's apply to PC's too. Before I make a ruling, I always ask the players if they are fine with it if the situation was reversed. Sometimes it has been reversed too. It is a two way process when it comes to rules clarification.

Remove ads