• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1000 more swashbuckling cards

StalkingBlue

First Post
Thanks to barsoomcore, I now know about swashbuckling cards!

The GM deals one card to each player at the beginning of each session. When the player plays the card, he or she gets a new one.

For those who (like me) didn't know, barsoomcore has been kind enough to post his collection here for download:

http://www.big-freaky-sean.ws/d20/dnd.html

Yeah barsoomcore, yeah Big Freaky Sean!

Here are four more cards I came up with just reading through the 35 or so cards contained in the download:

1. YOUR HEALTH!:
Play: any time outside combat.
Effect: Over the course of an evening, drink one NPC under the table to get one piece of information the NPC shouldn’t reveal.

2. SPRINGY STEP:
Play: immediately after being tripped or falling.
Effect: Instead of sprawling prone, you catch yourself on one knee. Your melee attacks and AC suffer no penalty for one round. Getting up is a free action.

3. SUAVE TONGUE:
Play: when you make a Bluff check.
Effect: Add 10 to your check result. If still disbelieved, the target will savour your “joke” rather than feel provoked.

4. CLOAK STREAMING:
Play: any time.
Effect: Seeing you stride up, guards will throw one door open, giving you access someplace they shouldn’t.

Who's next?

drnuncheon

Explorer
Some inspired by one of my favorite books & films...The Princess Bride!

5. I'm not left-handed, either!

Your training has uniquely prepared you for just this circumstance.

Play: Anytime you receive a penalty to your attack roll.
Effect: One type of penalty (circumstance, cover, etc) is completely negated.

6. You mean I put down my sword, and you put down your rock, and we try to kill each other like civilized people?

Play: When you are in one-on-one combat.
Effect: Your opponent must abandon any weapon advantages he has over you - but you must do the same.

7. I've spent the past 10 years building up an immunity...

Play: When you fail a saving throw vs. poison, drug, or disease
Effect: You automatically make your save (as well as any saves for secondary damage)

8. If we only had a wheelbarrow...

Play: Anytime
Effect: One piece of needed mundane equipment just happens to be nearby.

(I think this one was covered, but I like my title better.)

9. Drop...your...sword.

Play: Anytime when you are at a disadvantage and trying to Intimidate someone.
Effect: Any penalties to your Intimidate roll become bonuses.

J

Last edited:

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Hey, some of these are great!

I've got a template set up already so I'll make up new PDFs as we acquire more and more.

I reserve the right to pick and choose my favourites...

derverdammte

Explorer
Okay, the only one I can think of at the moment is lame, but I like the idea behind this thread:

10. Oh, that gate key!

You suddenly find an easy way around the next obstacle.

It occurs to me that "The Man in the Iron Mask" and "The Mask of Zorro" probably have some good ones along these lines, but I'd have to watch them again.

How about this one?

11. He's young...and vigorous.

An NPC of the opposite sex foils pursuit, giving you a chance to escape.

12. The pointy end goes into the other man.

For this combat only, ignore nonproficiency penalties for one weapon.

(edit: fixed some formatting)

Last edited:

derverdammte

Explorer
Hm. One more.

13. Anybody want a peanut?

You severely annoy an intelligent creature of your choice, giving them a -4 morale penalty on its next action.

Dark Jezter

First Post
How about a few influenced by the movie Conan the Barbarian?

14. Do you wanna live forever?

Play: Whenever you are in one-on-one combat.
Effect: The spirit of a departed friend, lover, or comrade suddenly appears to strike at your attacker, stunning them for one round.

15. "You're not a guard." "Neither are you."

Play: Whenever the players are discovered when trying to be sneaky.
Effect: The person who discovered the PC turns out to be a friend instead of an enemy.

16. Do the gods owe you any favors?

Play: Whenever a party member is killed or near death.
Effect: The mortally-wounded or dead character is returned to full health, with no level or ability loss. Basically the same thing as a true resurrection spell.

17. Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger.

Play: During any combat.
Effect: Pick an enemy. Whichever weapon he/she is currently using suddenly breaks.

18. There is a price, Barbarian.

Play: Any time when not in combat.
Effect: An attractive member of the opposite sex will reveal useful information to the character, before turning into a monster and attacking them.

19. That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

Play: When delt damage in combat.
Effect: When the player recieves damage in combat, whether from a spell or an attack, they can play this card to gain the number of HP they would normally lose.

20. Valor please you, Crom. So grant me one request; grant me REVENGE...

Play: Before combat begins.
Effect: The character prays to their patron deity before a battle, and when combat starts they recieve bonuses equal to being under a bard's inspire greatness song. This effect lasts until combat is over.

21. Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

Play: During combat.
Effect: The player enters a greater barbarian rage, even if they are not playing as a barbarian. After the rage is over, they are not winded.

StalkingBlue

First Post
Kewl stuff here. Looking forward to the upgraded collection, barsoomcore!

Have to think of more. Darn those clients! Sigh.

Thinking of which ...

22. Hey! Did the Brownies do that?

Play: Any time.

Effect: A bunch of good-natured fairies dealt with one tedious task for you while you were looking the other way, freeing you up for what you were longing to do instead.

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Here's a few more.

23. Sacrificial Defense

Play: When an ally takes a blow that would drop them.
Effect: You leap into the path of the attack, taking the damage yourself.

24. NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Play: When an ally has just been dropped.
Effect: For the remainder of the combat, you gain a +4 morale bonus to hit and damage vs. the opponent who dropped them.

25. What a clever idea...

Play: Immediately after a swashbuckling card has been played.
Effect: Take the card that has just been played. This is your new card. The original player gets the effects of the card as usual.

J

Remove ads