• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1000 more swashbuckling cards

Psion

Adventurer
Hmmm... these are interesting.

It occurs to me that these might be better if sorted into tones. Sure, you have swashbuckling fantasy. How about one for "brooding tragic fantasy", "horror" etc.?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Psion said:
It occurs to me that these might be better if sorted into tones. Sure, you have swashbuckling fantasy. How about one for "brooding tragic fantasy", "horror" etc.?

I don't care what they say, Psion, you're pretty smart. ;)

That's a great idea. Well, it will be great idea when we actually have enough ideas to warrant separating them out. But for now it will probably help with the idea generation.

Which I feel compelled to point out I have contributed exactly nothing to. I did bump the thread, though...

derverdammte

Explorer
Psion said:
Hmmm... these are interesting.

I agree. The Conan ones in particular are best-suited to a big, bad-ass butt-kicking barbarian game. I was considering doing alternates for a couple of them, but I didn't want to dis the author, since the originals were great as-is, just not for me.

I'm going to have to flip through some books and stuff, but I think we have an untapped goldmine of good ideas here. =)

Maerdwyn

First Post
26. "Your Feelings Betray You..."
Play: When trying to get information from a uncooperative NPC.
Effect: A vital piece of information is involuntairly revealed.

27. "I've got a bad feeling about this..."
Play: Anytime when no enemies are apparent
Effect: You cannot be caught flat footed or be otherwise surprised by an enemy for the next hour

28. "You leave him alone!"
Play: In melee combat, with bystanders present
Effect: A seemingly harmless bystander bashes your opponent over the head with an iron pot or other mundane object, stunning him for one round

29. "Remember this day well, little one"
Play: After recuing a child or young teen
Effect: Inspired by your heroics, the child grows up to take a standard PC class, and turns out to have excellent ability scores. (Possible - use this character to replace yours if your PC dies.)

Dark Jezter

First Post
derverdammte said:

I agree. The Conan ones in particular are best-suited to a big, bad-ass butt-kicking barbarian game. I was considering doing alternates for a couple of them, but I didn't want to dis the author, since the originals were great as-is, just not for me.

I don't mind if you make more Conan Cards. In fact, I'd be quite interested in seeing them. So go right ahead. :)

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Maerdwyn said:
27. "I've got a bad feeling about this..."
Play: Anytime when no enemies are apparent
Effect: You cannot be caught flat footed or be otherwise surprised by an enemy for the next hour
That's absolutely brilliant and will definitely make the cut, but I would change it to:

Play: Whenever you are surprised
Effect: You are not surprised. You may roll initiative and take an action in the surprise round.

My reasoning is that "next hour" is an awfully difficult period of time for a DM to keep track of, and will ultimately cause problems if the DM says, "So you walk for an hour and nothing happens. Ten minutes later..."

So instead of making the PC extra-alert for the next hour, just say that the next time (whenever that is) that they get surprised, they were in fact paying close attention.

You think?

mseds99

First Post
I'll take a shot at this...

These are great!!

Edit: I meant that the ideas in the thread are great, not my particular ideas. :eek:

30. "Your mama looks AND smells like a drunken ogre..."
Play: Your turn in combat.
Effect: All enemies notice your taunting and focus their attacks on you for the next round. If you should be rendered unconscious or killed, your opponents may then attack anyone they choose.

31. RAAAAAGGGHHH!!!!!!
Effect: Your screeching warcry deafens all creatures within a 30' radius for one round.

32. Oh what a relief it is.
Effect: As a standard action, you may transfer any damage that one of your allies has incurred to yourself with a successful touch of the injured charcater.

Last edited:

StalkingBlue

First Post
barsoomcore said:

XsnipX

That's a great idea. Well, it will be great idea when we actually have enough ideas to warrant separating them out. But for now it will probably help with the idea generation.

XsnipX

My thought exactly. Let's stir the pot some more before we start fishing and picking ...

33. Never happened
Play: Any time outside combat.
Effect: You snap your fingers to make one NPC forget one eminently stupid thing you just said or did.

Last edited:

Zerovoid

First Post
Here's a couple Simpson's themed ones.

"Wait, there's no Angus McCloud in North Kilt Town"
Play: When questioned or accosted by an authority figure, shop keeper, guard, etc...
Effect: It is revealed that the person accosting you is actually in disguise, or has no legitimate authority in this situation.

"He tells me to burn things!"
Play: Anytime a source of fire is around.
Effect: A lantern, candle, campfire, etc... is disturbed and starts a fire that blazes out of control.

"I'm going to clown college"
Play: Anytime.
Effect: You may use and Knowledge, Profession, or Perform skill as though you had 4 ranks in it.

CRG

First Post
"You take that one Little Wooden Boy!"
Play: In combat
Effect: By hurling whatever is in your offhand at an enemy the enemy becomes preoccupied dealing with the object flung in his face. On his next turn, the only action the enemy can do is to dis-entangle himself from the object.

"My kitties breath smells like cat food"
Play: Anytime you are trying to bluff someone into thinking you're not very bright or convince them that you are crazy.
Effect: +20 circumstance bonus to your bluff check.

"He went thataway"
Play: When you're being pursued by an enemy.
Effect: By ducking behind a person and poorly mimicking what you think their voice sounds like or otherwise adopting a completely implausible design the enemy believes you and continues in that direction for one full minute.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads