1001 Uses for an Immovable Rod

MarkB

Legend
serraphin said:
I hate to be the moany rules lawer - but the ship stopping and (to an extent) giant creature stopping have a rather big flaw:

Immovable Rod:
An immovable rod can support up to 8,000 pounds before falling to the ground. If a creature pushes against an immovable rod, it must make a DC 30 Strength check to move the rod up to 10 feet in a single round.
Thus my suggestion of mounting a blade on the rod when using it to slice up a ship - it prevents the ship from bringing its full mass to bear against the rod.

And whilst an immovable rod won't stop a ship under sail, it should be sufficient to anchor an unpowered one in place if you should wish to do so under circumstances where dropping the anchor is impractical or undesirable.

If something's swallowed you whole, I'm guessing it's a bit big. Bigger than 8k lbs and strong enough to shrug off a DC 30+ roll. One could argue that if 3000lbs are 'pushed' against the rod in any direction, it drops.
A Behir has Strength 26. That's insufficient to succeed on the check even with a natural 20. And it may or may not weigh 8,000 lbs. Where does the 3,000 figure come from?

Immovable rods do, however, make marvelous doorstops when you haven't got time to sprang a door and stop that horde of orcs what's chasing you :)
They're also good for keeping doors open if you happen to suspect a 'sealed room' trap.

Storyteller01

First Post
Seriously though, take a look at the Immovable Rod Master PrC. Use the rod as a weapon (club); activate the rod as a free action; pinning; placing said object down a critters throat, then turning it on (difficult, but fun if you pull it off); aerial acrobatics (think twin bar, with no upper limit), etc.

Lots of good, clean, wholesome fun. :)

MarkB

Legend
Storyteller01 said:
Seriously though, take a look at the Immovable Rod Master PrC. Use the rod as a weapon (club); activate the rod as a free action; pinning; placing said object down a critters throat, then turning it on (difficult, but fun if you pull it off); aerial acrobatics (think twin bar, with no upper limit), etc.

Lots of good, clean, wholesome fun. :)
Where could we find this PrC?

Laman Stahros

First Post
MarkB said:
A Behir has Strength 26. That's insufficient to succeed on the check even with a natural 20. And it may or may not weigh 8,000 lbs. Where does the 3,000 figure come from?
Okay, I'm confused. DC 30 Strength check, Strength 26. All a Behir needs is to roll a 4 to pass that check.

Edit: I really should wake up before posting. Sorry. :eek:

Last edited:

werk

First Post
Laman Stahros said:
Okay, I'm confused. DC 30 Strength check, Strength 26. All a Behir needs is to roll a 4 to pass that check.

Str 26 = modifier of +8

30 - 8 = ?

Behir needs to roll a 22

Harmon

First Post
Get two and hang your hammock from them; never sleep on the hard dungeon floor again.

Climbing by placing one where there are no hand holds then reach back down and grab it up.

Doorstop is my favorite.

Coat rack.

Set it in the middle of a 5’ wide pit and step across- course most adventurers could jump that.

Just a few off the cuff ideas.

Later all.

MarkB

Legend
Harmon said:
Set it in the middle of a 5’ wide pit and step across- course most adventurers could jump that.
Set it in the middle of a 5' wide pit at chest level, then cast invisibility on it. Enemies jump the pit, slam into it, and slide off into the pit.

Infiniti2000

First Post
An immovable rod has that annoying frame of reference issue. Is it immovable with respect to the planet or other more local frame of reference? If you activate it in a ship's cabin, will it move with the ship or not? Can you dim door while holding an activated immovable rod?

MarkB

Legend
Infiniti2000 said:
An immovable rod has that annoying frame of reference issue. Is it immovable with respect to the planet or other more local frame of reference? If you activate it in a ship's cabin, will it move with the ship or not? Can you dim door while holding an activated immovable rod?
I consider it fixed relative to the planet. Interaction with teleportation effects are open to interpretation - you could, with reasonable justification, rule that it cannot be teleported since it's immovable, that it can be teleported but counts as weighing 8,000 lb, or that it can be teleported freely (since teleportation involves no conventional movement) and will be stuck in place at its destination once teleported.

EDIT: One interesting interpretation would make it a teleport-foiler: The teleportation effect could transport it to the astral plane, but once there it would prevent movement within that plane, causing you to exit back at your starting point.

Infiniti2000

First Post
MarkB said:
EDIT: One interesting interpretation would make it a teleport-foiler: The teleportation effect could transport it to the astral plane, but once there it would prevent movement within that plane, causing you to exit back at your starting point.
Well, if it's not immovable with respect to the plane, then how does it function in the astral plane? :)

That makes it very hard to adjudicate and I quite honestly don't have a good answer. I generally like to use a local frame of reference, perhaps as designated by the user. Thus, the rods in the chest from the example above would not perform the function as intended. The chest would be movable. Likewise, you could use the rods to climb up the side of a ship (you 'attach' the rods to the frame of reference of the ship, whereas others from above could not do that).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases