10th level tournament challenge

Hannibal Barca

First Post
It seems fair to restrict creator level of magic items to a single cap of 11th level, 13th level or whatever. Just capping scroll creator level, however, is probably unfair.

That was what I meant to state. A clearer statement would be then creator level is limited to 10th level.

If you re-roll every turn you risk (in addition to the many odd rule situations that may come up) that characters with high initiative are penalized because winning in the first round and loosing in the next gives everyone else a "free" round to attack you.

If you have a higher initiative modifier you always have an odds advantage of any given round or encounter of rolling a higher initiative. So I don't feel that anyone would be penalized. The player with the highest initiative modifier might come in last the first round, and so benefit from a round to round initiative sequence. However, your point about the odd rule situations has merit. If there is no viable means to address these odd rules situation, I will forced to continue a standard initiative determination sequence.

Whoa! Enter the Polymorphed Mages.

Good point, but sacrificing a level the permanency entails beacuse of the xp lost should not be considered inconsequential.

That's just bad tactics. Why do they attack the least dangerous opponent first?

You're right. This point has convinced me to keep it standard.

With 3rd ed point buy this maxes out almost every stat.
Is that the intent?

It is the total of all the stats without the 4th and 8th level bumps.

Thanks for the input. :)

Number47

First Post
You should have a required minimum for each stat, too. Otherwise, you'll have 3 Int fighters. Mages who have 3 Str before they polymorph into trolls. Clerics who have 3 Str before Divine Might.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Number47 said:
You should have a required minimum for each stat, too. Otherwise, you'll have 3 Int fighters. Mages who have 3 Str before they polymorph into trolls. Clerics who have 3 Str before Divine Might.

How about a difference of 10 - your highest and lowest stats must be within 10 before magic (but after level-ups)?

Hannibal Barca

First Post

Excellent suggestion. Perhaps a minimum of say 6 on a stat?

Iku Rex

Explorer
Hannibal Barca said:
Good point, but sacrificing a level the permanency entails beacuse of the xp lost should not be considered inconsequential.
Who said anything about Permanency. Polymorph Other is Permanent, and does not have an xp cost.

Even a character without the spell could argue that he's paid some mage 560 gold to Polymorph him into a Stone Giant...

Last edited:

Malin Genie

First Post
I worry more about the Enchanter or Bard with Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus [Tome and Blood], Spellcasting Prodigy [FRCS] and possibly PrC (or other items) from the Forgotten Realms sourcebooks that increase enchantment save DCs.

Base 18/raised +2/items +6 =26 in spellcasting stat, effctively 28 if SCP. Save difficulty vs domination is 27 IICC.

A 10th level wizard (good will save) with 16 Wisdom and a +5 to saving throws item has a +15 - about a 50% chance.

A 10th level fighter with average wisdom and the same +5 item has a +8 Will Save - a 10% chance of saving.

And if the character takes Alluring (Song and Silence) the DCs go up by another +2 !

That is the (abusive) combination to win IMHO.

Hannibal Barca

First Post
I worry more about the Enchanter or Bard with Spell Focus, Greater Spell Focus [Tome and Blood], Spellcasting Prodigy [FRCS] and possibly PrC (or other items) from the Forgotten Realms sourcebooks that increase enchantment save DCs.

I concur. That's what I would play.

Remove ads