11 ways to be a better roleplayer

Psikosis

Explorer
1. This should be obvious, but the problem one runs into are GMs who see 'their' story as linear and refuse to let PCs participate in the storytelling. I tend to fault GMs, not players for this one.

2. Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! From a GMs perspective, this is crucial!

3. Again, I agree, but with the caveat that players should think about what they are doing, at least briefly. Even if you're character has a low wisdom/insight/whatever score or is reckless, there's a limit.

4. Well-said!

5. Unless there's a very, very good reason that's an integral part of the larger story, yes! And I'll help with the Kender.

6-7. Yes

8. Look, gamers have a questionable reputation among the general public without adding stuff like this. Imagine what an open-minded (but not that open-minded) parent might think bringing a 14 year old to the FLGS and hearing pointless sexual nonsense at the local gaming table. Frankly, there's already entirely too much 'weird for the sake of weird' among gamers. Leave it at home, please.

9. Yes.

10. I didn't really get the point of this. Most of the time, a failed die roll is just one of many rolls (and hopefully not fatal). It's not a part of the story one way or the other. If a game comes down to a single die roll, as a GM, I would be concerned. The GUMSHOE authors make that point in the introduction to Trail of Cthulhu.

11. Just play and be positive is perhaps the best single bit of advice any player can receive!

Thanks for the post. If anyone has more to say about point 10, I'd like to hear it. As I said, I didn't really get that one.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
1. This should be obvious, but the problem one runs into are GMs who see 'their' story as linear and refuse to let PCs participate in the storytelling. I tend to fault GMs, not players for this one.

Not necessarily. Unless it is an AP, or we agreed beforehand that the players try to follow a major story along, I expect my players to be part of the storytelling. But it is often hard to get them to do anything. Best example was that of a city adventure where they stuck to the tavern despite me giving them several possible hooks to follow, and despite having a world full of life around them to find adventure in. I tried to explain to them that I'd react to whatever they would be doing, but they were so used to react to whatever the GM was doing that it didn't work out.

So yeah this is kind of a "former GMs" problem but players need to be able to get over it and expand their horizons. I have also seen this happen in new players, though, so I also see it as a problem of today's world tending to feed you all your next steps. From video game stories to school choices.

Psikosis

Explorer
So yeah this is kind of a "former GMs" problem but players need to be able to get over it and expand their horizons. I have also seen this happen in new players, though, so I also see it as a problem of today's world tending to feed you all your next steps. From video game stories to school choices.

I wasn't absolving players of any responsibility, but the GMs have the lead role (if you'll pardon the double meaning) in addressing this issue. More than any individual player or the group dynamic overall, the GM sets the boundaries of what is acceptable and not and far too many set rigid, narrow ones that 'canal-ize' their games and their players. Which leaves more open and flexible GMs to not only have to run a game, but figure out how to rehab the players' dependence on the GM for guidance.

When possible, I like to talk with each player individually about what they'd like in the campaign before we get started (or at least early). It helps them take some ownership for the game by providing a sense of agency along with a clear expectation of input.

Are there other ideas for helping players 'get over' former GMs?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Yeah, I have adapted the "talk first" policy now, too. Including asking what their former GMs were like.

I can do railroading if I have to, I just need to know beforehand that's what's wanted :cool:

Li Shenron

Legend
What do you think? I like a lot of what he says, but I daresay some of it will seem controversial to others.

Liked.

#5 has basically become paramount for me as a DM.

#10 is really an important lesson, something to talk about with your players and keep in mind at all times.

Remove ads